Dynamo strip necessary?

Old June 14th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Rogers

Default Dynamo strip necessary?

I've set up a bike with a B&M bottle dynamo and have a question about
tires. The bike currently has Panaracer Pasela TG's that I very much
like. However, they do not have a dynamo strip. Is that a big problem?

Is a dynamo strip only to prevent slippage, or is there some extra
rubber under it to counter wear from the roller? I have the dynamo
roller riding relatively high on the tire (against the rubber on the
tire, not the tan sidewall area) and have it very carefully aligned
perpendicular to the tire.

So if I use the B&M wire roller, would a dynamo strip be of any
advantage?

Also, it seems to me that the use of the wire roller would allow one
to use significantly less pressure against the wheel and still have
good grip (even in the wet), so that the wear might not be any more
with the wire roller than with a rubber roller (at higher pressure).

Any thoughts on this?

--Jim
Old June 14th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 14, 10:39 am, Jim Rogers wrote:
I've set up a bike with a B&M bottle dynamo and have a question about
tires. The bike currently has Panaracer Pasela TG's that I very much
like. However, they do not have a dynamo strip. Is that a big problem?

No.

Is a dynamo strip only to prevent slippage,

pretty much.

or is there some extra
rubber under it to counter wear from the roller? I have the dynamo
roller riding relatively high on the tire

Good, as the sidewalls on the Panaracers is rather fragile

So if I use the B&M wire roller, would a dynamo strip be of any
advantage?

Never used a wire roller, but I can't imagine a dynamo track being
needed as AFAIK, they're a grip sorta deal--and an aiming feature.
"Point roller here."
Old June 14th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Jim Rogers wrote:
[...]

Having ridden 22mm 300g cotton tubulars with a side dynamo all my adult
life, the cute side patterns are mostly decorative.

Be sure to set up the unit such that the dynamo axis points straight at
the axle center. If it's askew, it will make noise and abrade the side
of your tire.

Oh, and tight- you don't want it in your spokes.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 15th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Rogers

Thanks for the responses, guys.

--Jim