Lessons I've learned that you already knew...

Old August 24th 05, 04:37 PM
Hell and High Water

Default Lessons I've learned that you already knew...

1. Never buy a seat because it looks cool.

2. Never put your cell phone in the seat bag, along with a steel tool,
with no protection.

3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.

4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

5. Watch for seams in the pavement.

etc...

Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
myself???

;-)

-Bob

Old August 24th 05, 04:50 PM
Roger Zoul

Hell and High Water wrote:
:: 1. Never buy a seat because it looks cool.
::
Yeah, you pay big time if you do.

:: 2. Never put your cell phone in the seat bag, along with a steel
:: tool, with no protection.

Never knew that one...

::
:: 3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.
::

Yeah, you pay big time if you do.

:: 4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

haha. Have you tried velowear.com?

::
:: 5. Watch for seams in the pavement.
::

Watch carefully when crossing railroad tracks, too. I took a spill at about
13 mph after crossing some in a loop - about on the 10 loop I just quit
paying attention. My head was sliding across pavement in slow motion. I
was happy to have a helmet on that day...

:: etc...
::
::
::
:: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
:: myself???
::

See above...

Old August 24th 05, 05:01 PM

Hell and High Water wrote:
1. Never buy a seat because it looks cool.

2. Never put your cell phone in the seat bag, along with a steel tool,
with no protection.

3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.

4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

5. Watch for seams in the pavement.

etc...

Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
myself???

When a little creek crosses the road, don't ride across it. Get off
you bike and walk it across. If it is someplace that often has water,
it may be mossy and extremely slick. I learned my lesson, and ended up
with 3 stiches in my thumb.

Later,
Mark Muller

Old August 24th 05, 06:06 PM
andy gee

Hell and High Water wrote in
:

3. Don't be cheap with the shorts.

unless you ride a recumbent!

4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

Fire up the way-back machine, Sherman, and compare clothing sizes
between now and 30 years ago. 2005 jersey/1975 jersey 2005 shirt/1975
shirt. Except for italian suits, if I try on a jacket for my chest size
(or a shirt for my neck size) I can comfortably put keep a football
taped to my tummy.

5. Watch for seams in the pavement.

Friendly Coos County, New Hampshire (The Gravel State - Live Free or
Else) had an expression: choose your rut wisely, you'll be in it for a
long time. Getting rutted on a bike in a pavement seem (get your minds
out of the gutter, folks) lasts less than half a second can be far more
painful than philosophical.

6. The trotter set at Yonkers Raceway has an expression: better to be
parked wide than boxed in. For drivers who don't signal and cut you off
on a turn, versus drivers who or on your butt, 20-0 30-20. [If you
see a trotter who drew an outside post, got parked double wide, placed
or showed, then draws an inside spot in today's race, bet it. You
usually get one of these every other card.]

--ag

Old August 24th 05, 06:08 PM
Leo Lichtman

Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for myself???
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A water bottle cage that is easy to get the bottle out of is also good at
dropping the bottle on a big bump.

Old August 24th 05, 06:12 PM
Will

Hell and High Water wrote:

Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
myself???

Gloves... always wear gloves.
Glasses... even cheap clear safty ones. Little bugs in the eyes are a
bother.

Old August 24th 05, 06:21 PM
The Wogster

andy gee wrote:
4. A size LARGE jersey isn't.

Fire up the way-back machine, Sherman, and compare clothing sizes
between now and 30 years ago. 2005 jersey/1975 jersey 2005 shirt/1975
shirt. Except for italian suits, if I try on a jacket for my chest size
(or a shirt for my neck size) I can comfortably put keep a football
taped to my tummy.

This is largely dependant on the clothing manufacturer, and where the
clothing is manufactured. Clothing manufactured in North America, or
manufactured for a North American market, tend to be a little larger,
then clothing made for a foreign market. For example we all know that
Italian suit makers can't seem to be able to make a pair of pants larger
then for a 12" waist.

Old August 24th 05, 06:34 PM
Buck

Hell and High Water wrote:

Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
myself???

If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride your
rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.

Ride the rain bike anyway (the one with fenders....).

-Buck

Old August 24th 05, 06:45 PM
Roger Zoul

Buck wrote:
:: Hell and High Water wrote:
::
::: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
::: myself???
::
:: If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride
:: your rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.

Hmm....whenever the weatherman here says it *might* rain, I plan to ride
anyway because 9 times out of 10, it won't rain and if I had planned
otherwise, I'd end up not riding because of the stupid weather report. The
only time I don't ride is if I see rain or scary clouds. It kinda sucks but
if I listen to the weather report, I'd ride less.

::

Old August 24th 05, 07:07 PM
The Wogster

Roger Zoul wrote:
Buck wrote:
:: Hell and High Water wrote:
::
::: Any others you want to tell me, so I don't have to learn 'em for
::: myself???
::
:: If the weather man says it *might* rain, it will - unless you ride
:: your rain bike and carry foul-weather gear.

Hmm....whenever the weatherman here says it *might* rain, I plan to ride
anyway because 9 times out of 10, it won't rain and if I had planned
otherwise, I'd end up not riding because of the stupid weather report. The
only time I don't ride is if I see rain or scary clouds. It kinda sucks but
if I listen to the weather report, I'd ride less.

If your in Canada check with Environment Canada first,
http://www.ec.gc.ca click English (or French whatever your pleasure),
select weather (top green section), select radar image, select your area
off the map, if it's mostly clear (often isn't near major cities due to
polution), you probably have a couple of hours rain free if your near
the middle of the map.

Americans can get similar coverage from the National Weather Service,
http://www.nws.noaa.gov select Radar, then click near your location on
the map.

You should carry a Weatheradio especially if your in a severe weather
area, keep the radio in alert mode. Last Friday, a Tornado warning was
issued for most of Southern Ontario, including Toronto. Usually the hot
air eminating from city hall and Queens Park is strong enough to blow
storms North to the Barrie area, in this case it failed to do so....

lessons! Antimatter Unicycling 2 December 1st 04 03:22 AM
First mount learned helps\hinders development of other skills? roberts Unicycling 40 August 18th 04 06:22 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
Road rage incident & lessons learned andrew UK 16 April 28th 04 09:22 PM
just learned ww (finally) shadowuni Unicycling 7 February 17th 04 04:40 AM