Basso all 3??

Old May 18th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Basso all 3??

Hi all, Am only an armchair fan of pro cycling but I love watchin the
big tours on tv.
Cant wait for the start of this years tour de France now that the Boss
has retired.Would love to see Ulrich win it this year but I think Basso
looks to strong.

Anyone else think that Basso is going for the big 3 this year?
Wasn't it Stephen Roche who was the last to win the Giro, Tour De
France and the world road race in the same season.
Nice to see him try, and good luck to him if he does.

Old May 18th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Lee Golding wrote:
Hi all, Am only an armchair fan of pro cycling but I love watchin the
big tours on tv.
Cant wait for the start of this years tour de France now that the Boss
has retired.Would love to see Ulrich win it this year but I think
Basso looks to strong.

Anyone else think that Basso is going for the big 3 this year?
Wasn't it Stephen Roche who was the last to win the Giro, Tour De
France and the world road race in the same season.
Nice to see him try, and good luck to him if he does.

Basso won't win the Worlds, that's going to be won by Valverde this year.
;-)

Jan

Old May 19th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Lee Golding" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all, Am only an armchair fan of pro cycling but I love watchin the
big tours on tv.
Cant wait for the start of this years tour de France now that the Boss
has retired.Would love to see Ulrich win it this year but I think Basso
looks to strong.

Anyone else think that Basso is going for the big 3 this year?
Wasn't it Stephen Roche who was the last to win the Giro, Tour De
France and the world road race in the same season.
Nice to see him try, and good luck to him if he does.

Roche won the Giro, Tour and the Worlds in one season. He did not ride the
Vuelta that year.

Old May 20th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

in message . com, Lee
Golding ') wrote:

Hi all, Am only an armchair fan of pro cycling but I love watchin the
big tours on tv.
Cant wait for the start of this years tour de France now that the Boss
has retired.Would love to see Ulrich win it this year but I think Basso
looks to strong.

Anyone else think that Basso is going for the big 3 this year?
Wasn't it Stephen Roche who was the last to win the Giro, Tour De
France and the world road race in the same season.
Nice to see him try, and good luck to him if he does.

No.

I do think Basso's looking good for the Giro, and I hope he wins because
I like CSC as a team. But if CSC puts in a big effort for the Giro they
aren't going to go into the Tour in peak form. Remember, Basso is very
good, but he's got some very good team mates. Sastre, Cuesta and Voigt
particularly have put in a huge effort to get Basso to the Maglio Rosa,
and that has to have cost them. Winning a tour is not a solo effort;
it's a team game.

CSC have a lot of other good riders, of course, and Bjarne is a master
tactician, but Ullrich is looking very strong - his performance in the
individual time trial demonstrates that clearly - and he's going about
preparing for the Tour in exactly the right way, by treating the Giro as
essentially a training ride. The Italians don't like that, of course,
and whose to blame them? But the fact is that Ullrich will go into the
Tour in peak form and hungry, and Basso won't.

And, although I'd personally like to see Basso take both the pink jersey
and the yellow, I do think Ullrich deserves the Tour. He's worked so
hard for it, for so long.

Q: Whats a webmaster?
A: Like a spider, but nowhere near as intelligent.