0.6W non-threaded tail light bulb?

Old September 20th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default 0.6W non-threaded tail light bulb?

The Markenrad folder I'm going through for a retiree has a very nice
integrated dynamo system. I got the front wired and running yesterday--
who knew saving those bread twist ties was good for something. ;-) --
and the old front non-threaded bulb still worked! But, alas, the tail-
lamp on the fender was bulb-less. It's a press-in type, non-threaded,
like the front. Guesses? Would be fun to get it all working right.
Old September 23rd 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rocket J Squirrel

On 9/20/2008 9:03 AM landotter wrote:

The Markenrad folder I'm going through for a retiree has a very nice
integrated dynamo system. I got the front wired and running yesterday--
who knew saving those bread twist ties was good for something. ;-) --
and the old front non-threaded bulb still worked! But, alas, the tail-
lamp on the fender was bulb-less. It's a press-in type, non-threaded,
like the front. Guesses? Would be fun to get it all working right.

I see that no one has followed up on this. landotter -- can you upload a
picture of this bulb someplace?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old September 23rd 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alexandre Kampouris

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
On 9/20/2008 9:03 AM landotter wrote:

The Markenrad folder I'm going through for a retiree has a very nice
integrated dynamo system. I got the front wired and running yesterday--
who knew saving those bread twist ties was good for something. ;-) --
and the old front non-threaded bulb still worked! But, alas, the tail-
lamp on the fender was bulb-less. It's a press-in type, non-threaded,
like the front. Guesses? Would be fun to get it all working right.

I see that no one has followed up on this. landotter -- can you upload a
picture of this bulb someplace?

The term to describe such bulbs is "bayonet". You might get more results
formulating your request with that word.

From the late Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/lighting/bulbs.html

Alexandre
Old September 23rd 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alexandre Kampouris

Alexandre Kampouris wrote:

The term to describe such bulbs is "bayonet". You might get more results
formulating your request with that word.

From the late Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/lighting/bulbs.html

Otherwise you could also use a couple of red LEDs mounted in parallel
but with their polarity reversed, and a small resistor in series,
mmmhhh, say 20-30 ohm.

Alexandre
Old September 23rd 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 23, 10:44 pm, Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
On 9/20/2008 9:03 AM landotter wrote:

The Markenrad folder I'm going through for a retiree has a very nice
integrated dynamo system. I got the front wired and running yesterday--
who knew saving those bread twist ties was good for something. ;-) --
and the old front non-threaded bulb still worked! But, alas, the tail-
lamp on the fender was bulb-less. It's a press-in type, non-threaded,
like the front. Guesses? Would be fun to get it all working right.

I see that no one has followed up on this. landotter -- can you upload a
picture of this bulb someplace?

Alas, my socket is bare!
Old September 23rd 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 23, 10:59 pm, Alexandre Kampouris
wrote:
Alexandre Kampouris wrote:
The term to describe such bulbs is "bayonet". You might get more results
formulating your request with that word.

From the late Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/lighting/bulbs.html

Otherwise you could also use a couple of red LEDs mounted in parallel
but with their polarity reversed, and a small resistor in series,
mmmhhh, say 20-30 ohm.

Alexandre

Ha! Too much futz for this project. Looks to be a bayonet as you
mentioned--I saw the crude notching on the aluminum plug just now as I
pulled it from the tail assembly. I might see if the local automotive
supply has something close--surely there's a dash or indicator light
that's close enough...
Old September 23rd 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alexandre Kampouris

wrote:
Alexandre Kampouris wrote:
The term to describe such bulbs is "bayonet". You might get more results
formulating your request with that word.
From the late Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/lighting/bulbs.html

Otherwise you could also use a couple of red LEDs mounted in parallel
but with their polarity reversed, and a small resistor in series,
mmmhhh, say 20-30 ohm.

Alexandre

Ha! Too much futz for this project.

Ha ha! 15 minutes tops, including the time for warming the soldering
iron. Almost less time as it takes to write this.

What would take time is to locate the LEDs and the resistor, if there
isn't any piece of electronic junk lying somewhere which is ready to
become an organ donor...

Looks to be a bayonet as you
mentioned--I saw the crude notching on the aluminum plug just now as I
pulled it from the tail assembly. I might see if the local automotive
supply has something close--surely there's a dash or indicator light
that's close enough...

Nice plan, excepted that there aren't many cars with 6 volt electrical
systems left on the road... (That would be the closest match to you
bike's dynamo). Running a 12V bulb at 6V or less will provide a really
negligible light output, I don't remember the approximate value of the
exponent which takes into account the filament's non-linearity, the
blackbody radiation spectrum, and its weighting by the filters and the
human visual system, but it's much higher than 2.

Alexandre
Old September 23rd 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Try "http://www.bulbtown.com".
Old September 23rd 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rocket J Squirrel

wrote:
On 9/20/2008 9:03 AM landotter wrote:

The Markenrad folder I'm going through for a retiree has a very nice
integrated dynamo system. I got the front wired and running yesterday--
who knew saving those bread twist ties was good for something. ;-) --
and the old front non-threaded bulb still worked! But, alas, the tail-
lamp on the fender was bulb-less. It's a press-in type, non-threaded,
like the front. Guesses? Would be fun to get it all working right.

I see that no one has followed up on this. landotter -- can you upload a
picture of this bulb someplace?

Alas, my socket is bare!

Um yeah, what you wrote. A pic of the socket would be helpful. It's
probably a bayonet type push-in & twist bulb.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old September 23rd 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
On 9/20/2008 9:03 AM landotter wrote:

The Markenrad folder I'm going through for a retiree has a very nice
integrated dynamo system. I got the front wired and running yesterday--
who knew saving those bread twist ties was good for something. ;-) --
and the old front non-threaded bulb still worked! But, alas, the tail-
lamp on the fender was bulb-less. It's a press-in type, non-threaded,
like the front. Guesses? Would be fun to get it all working right.
I see that no one has followed up on this. landotter -- can you upload a
picture of this bulb someplace?

Alas, my socket is bare!

Um yeah, what you wrote. A pic of the socket would be helpful. It's
probably a bayonet type push-in & twist bulb.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

http://i34.tinypic.com/fbdhr6.jpg

I think A. Muzi has me sorted.

Here's the bike:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2133yic.jpg

Still needs a new front rim, saddle, and some detail work--but all the
worky stuff's done. It's a fun little folder--especially with the
radical freestyle tires!