Another caring sharing motorist

Old May 29th 05, 11:22 AM
David Hansen

Default Another caring sharing motorist

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...30/nrage30.xml
is worth repeating here. I don't recall it being mentioned before,
but perhaps it was. We are often told about the poor, oppressed,
innocent, motorist hounded by petty officials.

The second article is an update, the man has been sentenced to six
months in prison (whatever that actually means).

Director ran down constable who gave him parking ticket
(Filed: 30/04/2005)

A company director ran down a policeman outside a primary school for
putting a parking ticket on his car.

Schoolchildren watched as Paul Hughes, 40, accelerated his Land
Rover Discovery into Special Constable Andreas Hagemann, 31.

Constable Hagemann was knocked to the ground and forced to roll out
of the way as Hughes bore down on him.

Looking down from the driver's window Hughes grinned as the
terrified officer lay on the ground.

The incident happened on the school run as Hughes, the owner of a
transport and storage firm, was picking up his nine-year-old son
Curtis in Tynemouth, North Tyneside.

Hughes pleaded guilty at North Tyneside magistrates' court to
dangerous driving and was warned that he could be sent to jail.

Kevin Wardlaw, prosecuting, said: "At around 3.50pm on Nov 26 Mr
Hughes was seen parked on the yellow zig-zag lines by the school
gates. Constable Hagemann warned Mr Hughes he was causing an
obstruction and asked him to move on.

But Mr Hughes pulled into Percy Park Road and stopped in the middle
of the road causing a tailback.

"The constable approached the car again and asked Hughes to pull
into a nearby street so he could talk to him. The driver was enraged
and shouted that he was not causing an obstruction. He pulled into a
nearby road and Mr Hagemann began to issue a fixed penalty ticket
for causing an obstruction."

As Constable Hagemann walked to the front of the car to write down
the registration number, Hughes pulled the handbrake off and rammed
the officer.

Mr Wardlaw added: "Mr Hagemann heard the vehicle engine begin to rev
and looked up to see Hughes with an expression of rage on his face
staring straight at him. The car then moved forward towards the
officer and struck him on the legs. He fell forward and was forced
to roll out of the way to avoid the wheels of the car.

"Hughes shrugged his shoulders and grinned sarcastically. He never
asked how the officer was or expressed any remorse."

Hughes, 40, of Bray Close, Wallsend, North Tyneside, who owns North
East Express Transport, was given an interim driving
disqualification until his next appearance on May 16.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
is the update to this story.

JAILED FOR BELT RAGE
AN enraged businessman who knocked over a policeman trying to book
him for not wearing a seat belt was jailed for six months yesterday.

Haulage firm boss Paul Hughes, 40, just grinned at Special Constable
Andreas Hagemann as he lay on the ground after hitting him with his
Land Rover Discovery.

The PC had asked him to move after he blocked the road outside his
son's primary school, then tried to issue the fixed penalty ticket
for the seat belt.

North Tyneside magistrates refused to allow Hughes, of Wallsend, to
withdraw a guilty plea to dangerous driving, made at an earlier
hearing, or bail him for an appeal.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old May 29th 05, 11:25 AM
wafflycat

"David Hansen" wrote in message
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...30/nrage30.xml
is worth repeating here. I don't recall it being mentioned before,
but perhaps it was. We are often told about the poor, oppressed,
innocent, motorist hounded by petty officials.

The second article is an update, the man has been sentenced to six
months in prison (whatever that actually means).

The tw@t should have been done for attempted murder & put away for *years*

helen s

Old May 29th 05, 12:05 PM
vernon levy

is worth repeating here.

Oh really?......

We are often told about the poor, oppressed,
innocent, motorist hounded by petty officials.

And the connection with cycling is?..........

Old May 29th 05, 01:16 PM
Vincent Wilcox

David Hansen wrote:
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...30/nrage30.xml
is worth repeating here. I don't recall it being mentioned before,
but perhaps it was. We are often told about the poor, oppressed,
innocent, motorist hounded by petty officials.

The second article is an update, the man has been sentenced to six
months in prison (whatever that actually means).

snip

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
is the update to this story.

JAILED FOR BELT RAGE

More like "Jailed for assault with 2 tons of powered metal." Which seems
to be rather a lesser offence than assault with a small piece of willow.

Maybe the Police Officer was a cyclist? In which case the sentence was
a bit harsh.

Cowards seem to get off pretty lightly IMO, I'd wager he would have been
in a lot more trouble if he'd been a bit braver and got out of the car
for a spot of the old fashioned fisticuffs.
Old May 29th 05, 01:54 PM
Vincent Wilcox

vernon levy wrote:
is worth repeating here.

Oh really?......

We are often told about the poor, oppressed,
innocent, motorist hounded by petty officials.

And the connection with cycling is?..........

It's interesting to see that as soon as one is in a car one is no longer
a person and that the normal laws relating to assault would seem to no
longer aply. This is a concern for all road-users.
Old May 29th 05, 02:30 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 29 May 2005 11:22:13 +0100, David Hansen
wrote in message
:

AN enraged businessman who knocked over a policeman trying to book
him for not wearing a seat belt was jailed for six months yesterday.

No mention of him losing his O licence, though - they should have done
that (they did it with Carl Baxter IIRC).

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old May 29th 05, 05:27 PM
Paul - xxx

David Hansen came up with the following;:

Director ran down constable who gave him parking ticket
(Filed: 30/04/2005)

Seems to have little to do with cycling and more to do with simply having
another dig at motorists.

As a motorist I deplore this kind of thing. Personally _any_ road user
acting in this way should have the full force of the law used against them.
There is no excuse for deliberately trying to run down anyone. Manslaughter
/ Attempted Manslaughter ought to be used more as a charge, IMHO.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old May 29th 05, 11:09 PM
Peter B

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
David Hansen came up with the following;:

Director ran down constable who gave him parking ticket
(Filed: 30/04/2005)

Seems to have little to do with cycling and more to do with simply having
another dig at motorists.

There are lots of truly off-topic posts on this group which are rarely
objected to and some of us find amusing or informative at times. Anything
to do with the environment we cycle in can hardly be off-topic.
Of course he could have run into someones house and grabbed a kitchen knife
therefore his vehicle needn't have been the weapon but his arrogant attitude
to parking would still make the story relevent to road safety.
BTW, I'm far from being anti-motorist for a host of reasons, not least being
one for the last......oh....err.....35 years.

Pete

Old May 30th 05, 08:00 AM
Peter B

"Peter B" wrote in message
Of course he could have run into someones house and grabbed a kitchen

knife
therefore his vehicle needn't have been the weapon

How stupid of me, I doubt the lazy ******* would run anywhere.

Pete

Yet another deadly motorist David Hansen UK 3 February 11th 05 11:21 AM
DeCanio and Clinger sharing needles? Ronde Chump Racing 1 February 6th 05 03:18 AM
Passive motorist. Mike Sales UK 10 April 22nd 04 07:00 PM
cyclist shoots motorist Steven M. O'Neill General 145 February 19th 04 01:49 AM
weird motorist behaviour Adrian Boliston UK 27 November 10th 03 08:29 PM