First real blast.

Old March 31st 04, 10:48 AM
Simon Mason

Default First real blast.

Nice spring evening yesterday, so tried a 30 mile ride on the new road bike.
Got togged up in shorts and new yellow Gore jacket (still a bit chilly E
wind), so could I pass for a proper roadie (oh no- I've become what I said I
never would!) . One thing I noticed was the reaction I got from drivers of
very expensive cars who looked on enviously as they passed in their tin box
on such a day.

Previous problem with pressure on the hands had all but gone and had now
transferred itself to my bum, well I suppose it had to go somewhere. Got
more and more confident with the handling that by the end it was great fun
to actually power into a bend and up a hill (or what passes for one round
here). Found this even more enjoyable than in in a sports car.

Polished off the 30 miles in no time at all and only really had to head for
home as I was 15 miles out and getting hungry. Nice backwind on the way home
meant I could hold 22 -25 mph just breathing through the nose. Gearing meant
top speed is around 28 mph unless I spin furiously.

What I need to do now is head west for some proper hills and see if the twin
chainrings give a low enough bottom gear to climb - if not I'll have to fit
a triple I reckon. Rain expected tomorrow, so might try a half century today
:-)

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old March 31st 04, 06:44 PM
Dave Kahn

"Simon Mason" wrote in message ...

Nice spring evening yesterday, so tried a 30 mile ride on the new road bike.
Got togged up in shorts and new yellow Gore jacket (still a bit chilly E
wind), so could I pass for a proper roadie (oh no- I've become what I said I
never would!)

Simon is now a roadie. Time to shave the legs. :-)

What I need to do now is head west for some proper hills and see if the twin
chainrings give a low enough bottom gear to climb - if not I'll have to fit
a triple I reckon.

How monstrous are those hills? I doubt you'll feel the need for a
triple. Besides, it would ruin the new macho image.

--
Dave...
Old March 31st 04, 07:09 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Simon is now a roadie. Time to shave the legs. :-)

..jpgs!!!

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old March 31st 04, 07:09 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Dave Kahn wrote:

How monstrous are those hills? I doubt you'll feel the need for a
triple. Besides, it would ruin the new macho image.

In t'old days you were considered a wuss if you had a sprocket bigger
than 21T. No-one would have dared turn up with a triple chainset unless
it was a touring bike or MTB. I don't know what the world's coming to,
I really don't ;-)
Old March 31st 04, 08:49 PM
MSeries

Dave Kahn wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Nice spring evening yesterday, so tried a 30 mile ride on the new
road bike.
Got togged up in shorts and new yellow Gore jacket (still a bit
chilly E
wind), so could I pass for a proper roadie (oh no- I've become what
I said I
never would!)

Simon is now a roadie. Time to shave the legs. :-)

What I need to do now is head west for some proper hills and see if
the twin
chainrings give a low enough bottom gear to climb - if not I'll have
to fit
a triple I reckon.

How monstrous are those hills? I doubt you'll feel the need for a
triple. Besides, it would ruin the new macho image.

I can find you monstrous hills in West Yorkshire. I used to grunt round my
Bronte Circuit on a 39x24 but it is much easier and therefore I can go
further with a triple (30x24).

Old March 31st 04, 10:23 PM
Temp3st

I can find you monstrous hills in West Yorkshire. I used to grunt round my
Bronte Circuit on a 39x24 but it is much easier and therefore I can go
further with a triple (30x24).

Have to agree with you there - some killers!
rather use the triple than have to get off and walk up - now that really
isn't macho.

Old March 31st 04, 10:51 PM
MSeries

Simon Mason wrote:

What I need to do now is head west for some proper hills and see if
the twin chainrings give a low enough bottom gear to climb - if not
I'll have to fit a triple I reckon. Rain expected tomorrow, so might
try a half century today :-)

Let me know if you need any help with routes west of Leeds.

Old April 1st 04, 12:25 AM
Jon Senior

"MSeries" wrote in message
I can find you monstrous hills in West Yorkshire. I used to grunt round my
Bronte Circuit on a 39x24 but it is much easier and therefore I can go
further with a triple (30x24).

The best way to climb hills is to have only one gear, and shoes that offer
no traction on tarmac. That way you have no choice but to make it to the
top... by hook or crook!

Jon

Old April 1st 04, 12:59 PM
Simon Mason

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
Simon is now a roadie. Time to shave the legs. :-)

.jpgs!!!

Cheers, helen s

Hmm, don't forget I play 5 a side as well - I might be at a loss to explain
the lack of leg hair!
Simon M.

Old April 1st 04, 01:01 PM
Simon Mason

"MSeries" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

What I need to do now is head west for some proper hills and see if
the twin chainrings give a low enough bottom gear to climb - if not
I'll have to fit a triple I reckon. Rain expected tomorrow, so might
try a half century today :-)

Let me know if you need any help with routes west of Leeds.

It's 60 miles to Leeds - I meant west of Hull, i.e. Yorkshire Wolds!

Simon m.

Real Bike Cities. Red Cloud General 80 June 10th 04 02:12 AM
Oakleys! (Real Oakleys) Jonathan Page Marketplace 2 August 26th 03 06:02 PM