Protein? Vegeterian diet may not be good for cyclist?

Old June 10th 05, 09:38 PM
Ken

Default Protein? Vegeterian diet may not be good for cyclist?

I have been doing a bit of quick research using google, and I am thinking
from my early reading that a vegetarian diet may not be the best diet in the
world for a person who rides any thing more than a couple of miles at a
time.
The first thing I found was this page http://www.cptips.com/protein.htm
which seems to state that an average cyclist of 154 pounds would need 80 to
100 grams of protein per day. And then I found this page
http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart3a.htm which seems to show that most of
the foods I eat on a regular basis are pretty low on the protein contents.

So my question is should I be increasing my protein intake with protein
bars?

Ken

--
For my real email address just remove "-dispose-trash"
More of my mind dribbles at my blog: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

Old June 10th 05, 09:42 PM
Paul R

"Ken" wrote in message
I have been doing a bit of quick research using google, and I am thinking
from my early reading that a vegetarian diet may not be the best diet in

the
world for a person who rides any thing more than a couple of miles at a
time.
The first thing I found was this page http://www.cptips.com/protein.htm
which seems to state that an average cyclist of 154 pounds would need 80

100 grams of protein per day. And then I found this page
http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart3a.htm which seems to show that most of
the foods I eat on a regular basis are pretty low on the protein contents.

So my question is should I be increasing my protein intake with protein
bars?

Ken

Instead of a yucky protein bar you could eat: nuts, soy, legumes (lentils
etc), spinach.

As you've discovered, if you're going to be a vegetarian, you HAVE to teach
yourself how to eat properly. Our diet is almost totally meat based, so to
get all the proper nutrients you have to look for alternative sources.

Cheers, and good luck!
Paul

Old June 10th 05, 10:01 PM
Matthew

Ken wrote in message
[...]

Many protein bars contain collagen/gelatin and thus are not
vegetarian. Most do not taste all that great either. If milk and/or
egg products are acceptable to you, there are whey, egg, and/or caesin
protein powders available that are good ways to get more protein in
your diet. If milk and eggs are unnaceptable, there are also soy
protein powders but they are relatively low in the amino acid
methionine. I believe there are methionine supplements that are
acceptable to vegetarians.

Matthew

Old June 10th 05, 10:04 PM
Roy Owen

Matthew wrote:
Ken wrote in message

[...]

Watch out for soy, it contains a fair amount of estrogen and estrogen
like compounds. A good friend was drinking soy milk, he has an allergy
to cow's milk, and started having *problems* being able to *satisfy* his
wife.
Old June 10th 05, 10:07 PM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:38:02 -0400, ,
"Ken" wrote:

So my question is should I be increasing my protein intake with protein
bars?

I think it's easier to incorporate protein supplements in your
cooking. Whey powder, Brown Rice protein and Soy protein are all
available in big bags or jars.
--
zk
Old June 10th 05, 10:07 PM
Fritz M

Ken wrote:
I am thinking
from my early reading that a vegetarian diet may not be the best diet in the
world for a person who rides any thing more than a couple of miles at a
time.

It's possible to be vegetarian and be an athlete but you really have to
work at it. Google for "monique ryan vegetarian" for specific food and
recipe suggestions for endurance athletes.

It's too much effort for me, so I'm omnivorous just the way God
intended with my meateater stereoscopic vision; ability to visualize
non-linear paths, rotate objects in 3-space, and other cognitive
functions common among hunters; and digestive system adapations suited
to an omnivore diet such as my non-specialized teeth, single stomach,
medium-length gut, and omnivore gut microbes.

RFM

Old June 10th 05, 10:26 PM
Diablo Scott

Ken wrote:

I have been doing a bit of quick research using google, and I am thinking
from my early reading that a vegetarian diet may not be the best diet in the
world for a person who rides any thing more than a couple of miles at a
time.
The first thing I found was this page http://www.cptips.com/protein.htm
which seems to state that an average cyclist of 154 pounds would need 80 to
100 grams of protein per day. And then I found this page
http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart3a.htm which seems to show that most of
the foods I eat on a regular basis are pretty low on the protein contents.

So my question is should I be increasing my protein intake with protein
bars?

Ken

Lots of good info here and much of it is cycling specific.
http://www.organicathlete.org/

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/
Old June 10th 05, 10:26 PM
Fritz M

Roy Owen wrote:

Watch out for soy, it contains a fair amount of estrogen and estrogen
like compounds. A good friend was drinking soy milk, he has an allergy
to cow's milk, and started having *problems* being able to *satisfy* his
wife.

My mother is Japanese and I have been drinking soy milk for something
like 20 years now and have been heavily consuming other soy products
for close to 40 years. I haven't had any problems in the area of sexual
function or production.

I think there are legit concerns regarding unfermented soy products
(which soy milk is one, along with TVP and soy powders and soy flour).
Fermented soy products such as tofu, miso, shoyu[1] and natto[2] seem
to have less hormonal impact, from what I've read.

RFM

[1] shoyu = soy sauce -- the real stuff, not the fake La Choy salt
water with unfermented soy protein and caramel color.

[2] natto = fermented soy beans. Sticky, gooey, mucousy stinks to high
heaven and tastes absolutely delicious, especially when served with
miso soup that has fish mold[3] and seaweed in it.

[3] bonito fish are left to dry. A white mold grows on the outside of
the fish. This fish mold shaved from the fish gives most Japanese food
its distinctive dead-fish flavoring. My grandmother had strips of
bonito hanging in the kitchen; as a kid I always thought the white
coating was dried salt. Same with the white mold that grows on konbu
seaweed.

Old June 10th 05, 10:35 PM
Neil Brooks

"Fritz M" wrote:

Ken wrote:
I am thinking
from my early reading that a vegetarian diet may not be the best diet in the
world for a person who rides any thing more than a couple of miles at a
time.

It's possible to be vegetarian and be an athlete but you really have to
work at it. Google for "monique ryan vegetarian" for specific food and
recipe suggestions for endurance athletes.

It's too much effort for me, so I'm omnivorous just the way God
intended with my meateater stereoscopic vision; ability to visualize
non-linear paths, rotate objects in 3-space, and other cognitive
functions common among hunters; and digestive system adapations suited
to an omnivore diet such as my non-specialized teeth, single stomach,
medium-length gut, and omnivore gut microbes.

I'd work on a better pickup line, though.... ;-)
Old June 11th 05, 12:05 AM
Ravi

Ken wrote:
I have been doing a bit of quick research using google, and I am thinking
from my early reading that a vegetarian diet may not be the best diet in the
world for a person who rides any thing more than a couple of miles at a
time.
The first thing I found was this page http://www.cptips.com/protein.htm
which seems to state that an average cyclist of 154 pounds would need 80 to
100 grams of protein per day. And then I found this page
http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart3a.htm which seems to show that most of
the foods I eat on a regular basis are pretty low on the protein contents.

So my question is should I be increasing my protein intake with protein
bars?

Ken

Bars are easy on the bike food. But off the bike, i do not want to be
eating the same stuff. if you are not vegan - then Optimum Nutrition's
Whey Protein is Good stuff - found in GNC stores - or try other protein
powders to figure out which is most suitable to your body.

For vegans, in addition to Soy, Wheat is another good source of protein
- flaxseed powder, wheat bran are good sources of proteins. Nuts are
great source of good fat and proteins..

Don't worry, training plays a important role than nutrition. With a
reasonable nutrition plan, and a good training you can achieve any of
the cycling goals. If you are still concerned, check out Endurox or any
of the products from Hammer Nutrition, but be ready to pay $$$.

my 2 cents,
+ravi

Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
Funny Capper to the 'Diet Madness' mega-thread - enjoy Badger_South General 0 May 23rd 04 03:43 PM
What makes a good cycling guest/host? (long) Perry Recumbent Biking 17 January 12th 04 01:16 AM