Station St bike lane Bonbeach: cars parked in bike lane

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 30th 06, 12:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Station St bike lane Bonbeach: cars parked in bike lane

Nepean Highway, south of Melbourne near Bonbeach station.

I have complained to the Kingston council about cars parked in the bike
lane on the west side of Station St. The cars are always parked near
the station in the bike lane.

Their response is that this parking is legal, and they do not propose
to do anything about it.

If you use these bike lanes going northward, then I suggest the only
safe way to proceed is to "seize the lane", and to ride in the middle
of the car lane. Of course riding no more than two abreast, as the law
requires. No need to hurry, since obviously there is no car traffic to
speak of, and they won't be delayed significantly.

Meanwhile I am going to contact the Victorian Government and see if
Kingston Council received money for this bike lane. If they did then I
will encourage them to seek a refund of the funding for this portion of
the bike lane. Since it is obviously not a bike lane, and the money
would be better spent on councils that actually make bike lanes.

Please forward this message to any cycling outlets that may be
appropriate.

Thanks.

Could it happen here? iiiiDougiiii UK 2 November 18th 05 02:24 PM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
When is a bike lane not a bike lane? DaveB Australia 17 February 14th 04 08:36 PM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM