My favorite bike photo

Old January 14th 04, 02:11 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Default My favorite bike photo

I've taken literally thousands upon thousands of photos while riding, not to
mention quite a few taken off of the bike. If you take enough photos,
you'll eventually end up with a few decent shots.

My all-time favorite isn't a very good picture technically, nor is it what
most would expect from me (images of Sonora Pass, both mental and pictorial,
tend to dominate my site!), but it's the one that I keep coming back to... a
shot of a very old guy and a very young kid together at the '03 Tour de
France.

I've put up a page showing the picture and giving the background story, as
well as a mini-tutorial on how you can try to make something reasonably
decent out of a nearly-hopeless photo. You can see it at

http://www.chainreaction.com/tdf03oldmanyoungboy.htm

(I should point out that this is my favorite of the photos that I've taken;
I most certainly am in awe of the works of "real" photographers, and don't
pretend to be in their class!)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Old January 14th 04, 03:19 AM
S o r n i

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:
[...]

Very, very cool...thanks!

Bill "permission to forward?" S.

Old January 14th 04, 06:25 AM
GaryG

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message . ..
[...]

Cool photo, and a good story to go along with it. Thanks.

Any words of wisdom on taking photos of the Tour? I've got reservations for
the second half of this year's Tour, and will be there with my bike (it will
be my first time, and I am so stoked!).

I haven't taken thousands, but I have taken a few, and here's one of my
favorites:

http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2003/BTC0042.htm

It was taken last summer on the summit of Mt. Evan, Colorado (elevation
14,264 feet). I was so hypoxic from the climb that I didn't even realize
that there were cyclists in the shot...sometimes it's better to be lucky
than good, I guess.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old January 14th 04, 07:16 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Any words of wisdom on taking photos of the Tour? I've got reservations
for
the second half of this year's Tour, and will be there with my bike (it

will
be my first time, and I am so stoked!).

Gary: The best places to get photos at the TDF will be on the nastiest
parts of the big climbs. I've found that it works well to ride up the climb
to the summit and think about where *you* might launch an attack (assuming
that you suddenly acquired Lance's legs). Then head back down to that
section and find a good place to shoot from. Look for backgrounds that
aren't too busy, or you'll have to try and optimize the depth of field so
that just your subject (the cyclists) are in focus. That's a tough task
when things are happening fast!

If you're shooting digital, you have the advantage of being able to practice
ahead of time, using other cyclists climbing the hill as stand-ins. Keep in
mind that you'll be VERY close to them as they go by! Also note that, if
you're taking pictures, you won't be able to enjoy the action as much. You
really have to make a choice; are you there to get "the shot" or to be a
part of it all?

You should cruise through our various pages on France and the TDF at
www.ChainReaction.com/france.htm, and specifically check out
www.ChainReaction.com/tdfwatching.htm

http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2003/BTC0042.htm

It was taken last summer on the summit of Mt. Evan, Colorado (elevation
14,264 feet). I was so hypoxic from the climb that I didn't even realize
that there were cyclists in the shot...sometimes it's better to be lucky
than good, I guess.

I can only imagine what it must be like to ride at 14,000ft+! Was Mt. Evans
included in the Tour of Colorado? Sounds like fun (in my own twisted sort
of way).

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old January 14th 04, 12:48 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
[...]

This one would be right up there with the best I've ever seen in the
"human interest" category, though!

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old January 14th 04, 01:53 PM
Badger South

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:48:46 -0500, David Kerber
wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

Yeah, it's quite good, but, haha, you can't tell it's an "old man" -
look at those quads!!

-B

Old January 14th 04, 04:32 PM
GaryG

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message om...
[...]

Thanks for the tips and the links! The tour I'm signed up with will be
staying 3 nights on Alp d'Huez, about 1km below the finish, so I should be
able to get some pretty decent shots. This year, ADH is an individual time
trial, so I'll be getting a LOT of shots from there.

Yes, I shoot digital...a Canon Digital Elph S330 (which fits nicely in a
jersey pocket), but I'm lusting over the new Digital Rebel.

http://www.shastasoftware.com/BTC2003/BTC0042.htm

It was taken last summer on the summit of Mt. Evan, Colorado (elevation
14,264 feet). I was so hypoxic from the climb that I didn't even

realize
that there were cyclists in the shot...sometimes it's better to be lucky
than good, I guess.

I can only imagine what it must be like to ride at 14,000ft+! Was Mt.

Evans
included in the Tour of Colorado? Sounds like fun (in my own twisted sort
of way).

Yes - that was an optional side trip on last summer's Bicycle Tour of
Colorado route (http://www.bicycletourcolo.com). I've ridden BTC each of
the last 3 year's and really enjoy it. Lots of beautiful scenery, plenty of
climbing (and, descending!), and good support. Plus, if you go with the
camping option, it's one of the cheapest tours I've found.

As for "fun"...I was really glad I made it to the summit, but it was one
tough climb (roughly 7,000 feet over 40 miles), with the elevation being the
hardest part. Only about half of the riders attempted it, and only about
half of those made it to the top. Some were turned back by snow and sleet
about 45 minutes after I summited. Others were turned back by altitude
issues. I had every symptom of hypoxia - shortness of breath, dizziness,
tingling fingers and lips, headache, upset stomach, and tunnel vision. I
apparently rode right past a family of mountain goats standing in the middle
of a right-hand switchback, but I didn't see them. Good thing I got that
lucky shot of the mountain goat at the summit!

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

--
~_-*

Old January 16th 04, 05:11 AM
Hunrobe

Maybe it isn't a technical masterpiece but it's a great photo, Mike. The only
words that were necessary to explain how special the moment was were, "2003 TdF
parade led through Paris by man and boy". The picture told the rest and isn't
that what pictures are supposed to do? Great photo.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old January 16th 04, 07:22 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

The only words that were necessary to explain how special the moment was
were, "2003 TdF
parade led through Paris by man and boy".

That is absolutely true. I felt funny writing all that drivel about it, but
I was getting so many questions, and the number of people who were
interested in high-res version... well, seemed like I needed to explain why
there wasn't one. Outside of what's in my head, of course.

It's funny that my best picture of the '03 TDF didn't show a bike racer.
Not a current one, anyway!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Hunrobe" wrote in message
Maybe it isn't a technical masterpiece but it's a great photo, Mike. The

only
words that were necessary to explain how special the moment was were,

"2003 TdF
parade led through Paris by man and boy". The picture told the rest and

isn't
that what pictures are supposed to do? Great photo.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 02:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
Best Way to Travel with a Bike on an Airplane F1 General 5 August 14th 03 10:39 PM