Specialized Hardrock vs Gary Fisher Wahoo

Old August 24th 03, 05:09 AM
Mark Webb

Default Specialized Hardrock vs Gary Fisher Wahoo

I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision
between a 2003 Specialized Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I
have test ridden both and really like them equally.

The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor
details. Here are some questions:

Which is the better brand?
Which model will last longer?
Is the Hardrock's 3D box tube truly better or just a design ploy?
Why would the Wahoo be any better or is it just the "Gary Fisher"
brandname?

Ride them both - one will feel more 'comfortable' than the other - that is
the model to go for...

Old August 24th 03, 06:49 AM
John Morgan

Which is the better brand?
Which model will last longer?
Is the Hardrock's 3D box tube truly better or just a design ploy?
Why would the Wahoo be any better or is it just the "Gary Fisher"
brandname?

Specialized. Their frames have a lifetime warranty. The heavy head tube
reinforcement on the Hardrock is indeed strong, and many hucksters on a
budget are buying the Hardrock Pro to use a dirt jumper bike.

-John Morgan

Old August 24th 03, 08:47 AM
bomba

Sailh2o wrote:
I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision
between a 2003 Specialized Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I
have test ridden both and really like them equally.

The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor
details. Here are some questions:

Price and components should not be the same for '03 v. '04 model. Give
it a couple of weeks and the '03 models will be discounted and you'll be
able to pick up something higher spec.

Old August 24th 03, 11:26 PM
Mark Webb

Hehe, good point - guess I was too tired to read the post properly :-)

I am in agreement with the others, and have never been disappointed with
Specialized (I just bought bike #3 from them)

"JD" wrote in message
m...
"Mark Webb" wrote in message

sailh2o wrote:
I have test ridden both and really like them equally.

Ride them both - one will feel more 'comfortable' than the other - that

is
the model to go for...

What part of his feeling that he likes them both equally after test
riding them didn't you get?

I'll echo the Specialized sentiment and say stay away from Narcissus
Fisher's bikes. They are just treks with an even more lame name.

JD

Old August 25th 03, 01:34 AM
Chris

"bomba" wrote in message
Sailh2o wrote:
I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision
between a 2003 Specialized Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I
have test ridden both and really like them equally.

The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor
details. Here are some questions:

Price and components should not be the same for '03 v. '04 model. Give
it a couple of weeks and the '03 models will be discounted and you'll be
able to pick up something higher spec.

That's probably the best advice...wait a bit and get a better '03 model at a
low price. Maybe even something with nine speeds

If you plan on _really_ riding this bike, I'd save/wait regardless. Some
components - namely the Judy and the Alex rims - are better off in a parts
bin than on a trail.

Chris

Old August 25th 03, 05:14 AM
Super Slinky

Sailh2o said...

I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision
between a 2003 Specialized Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I
have test ridden both and really like them equally.

The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor
details. Here are some questions:

Which is the better brand?
Which model will last longer?
Is the Hardrock's 3D box tube truly better or just a design ploy?
Why would the Wahoo be any better or is it just the "Gary Fisher"
brandname?

Other thoughts the Hardrock frame does look cool, however the new
paint work on the new 2004 Wahoo is out of this world!!! I do have
both waiting for me already built in the store ready for me to buy
tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!!!!

In that price range, get a used bike.
Old August 31st 03, 08:42 AM
B. Sanders

"Sailh2o" wrote in message
om...
I am a newbie to mountain biking and need help making a decision
between a 2003 Specialized Hardrock Comp and 2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I
have test ridden both and really like them equally.

The price and components are the same, so it's just down to the minor
details. Here are some questions:

Which is the better brand?

Trek owns Gary Fisher, so basically identical.

Which model will last longer?

No difference.

Is the Hardrock's 3D box tube truly better or just a design ploy?
Why would the Wahoo be any better or is it just the "Gary Fisher"
brandname?

It could have better fit and frame geometry (thus, a better ride).

Other thoughts the Hardrock frame does look cool, however the new
paint work on the new 2004 Wahoo is out of this world!!! I do have
both waiting for me already built in the store ready for me to buy
tomorrow.

If the components are identical, then ride each of them several times in
"real world" conditions (not in the parking lot), and go with your gut
instinct. They're both fine bikes for the price.

Barry

Old August 31st 03, 12:59 PM
Stephen Baker

Barry says:

If the components are identical, then ride each of them several times in
"real world" conditions (not in the parking lot), and go with your gut
instinct. They're both fine bikes for the price.

What he said - and DO NOT let the "new paint work" on the Wahoo lead you
astray. You won't notice it while riding, or on the roof of your car while
driving, but you will notice the better performance of whichever bike has it
(if ya see what I mean)
Paint can be fixed....

Steve