Gary Fisher

Old September 12th 03, 04:08 AM
jack

Default Gary Fisher

"qa2" wrote in message
This is for all the Fisher riders out there. Does anybody feel like
they are leaning too far forward when you ride your bike? Like the seat
is too high and you have to reach down for the bars. It just seems like
you have less control when trying to corner. I just got my new frame
(Supercailber) back from the LBS, my original Fisher Montare frame
cracked, and I am having trouble getting used to it again. I was
riding a Specialized hardrock as a loner. It was a low end, no front
suspension Specialized but the fact that ****es me off a little is I
could ride faster (I knocked a minute and a half off of my best time on
my fav trail) on it then my original Fisher. I felt more conformable in
the saddle, the seat and the handle bars were about the same height. To
get to the point of this rant, has anybody tried one of those threadless
stem risers? I think that may give me a better feel in the saddle then
I have at the moment. Any constructive comments welcomed.

Maybe you don't like the genesis geometry. (long top tube with shorter stem)
That's one of the Gary Fishers selling point.

I prefer a short top tube with my choice of stem. (long or short) That way
I can step up my bike for XC with the longer stem and flat bar or use the
shorter stem with a riser bar for trail riding, drops and jumps. It's also
easier to move around the cockpit with a shorter setup.

Old September 12th 03, 05:24 AM
Super Slinky

qa2 said...

[...]

Maybe the GF just isn't the best for your favorite trail. Horses for
courses, as they say.
Old September 13th 03, 07:26 AM
B. Sanders

"qa2" wrote in message
This is for all the Fisher riders out there. Does anybody feel like
they are leaning too far forward when you ride your bike? Like the seat
is too high and you have to reach down for the bars. It just seems like
you have less control when trying to corner.

Did you measure the replacement Supercaliber frame? Is it the same basic
size as the Montare? Sounds like your frame may be too small.

I'm going to guess that you're responding (negatively) to Fisher's "Genesis"
geometry (long top tube, short stays, short stem). Not everybody likes it,
for various reasons.

I just got my new frame
(Supercailber) back from the LBS, my original Fisher Montare frame
cracked, and I am having trouble getting used to it again.

I don't know which Montare you had (they changed a lot over the years); but
it probably had a much shorter top tube. That's likely to be what you're
noticing. I had a mid-90's Montare for a while. Pretty decent frame; but I
thought the top tube was too short. I have a long torso, so generally go for
the bikes with long top tubes. Everybody is different.

I was
riding a Specialized hardrock as a loner. It was a low end, no front
suspension Specialized but the fact that ****es me off a little is I
could ride faster (I knocked a minute and a half off of my best time on
my fav trail) on it then my original Fisher. I felt more conformable in
the saddle, the seat and the handle bars were about the same height.

Interesting. Maybe you should go back to the shop and buy that Hard Rock,
eh?

get to the point of this rant, has anybody tried one of those threadless
stem risers? I think that may give me a better feel in the saddle then
I have at the moment. Any constructive comments welcomed.

Again, if you need a stem riser, you're probably riding a frame that's too
small. All of my mountain bikes have the handlebars nearly level with the
saddle. Have the shop double-check to make sure you got the correct frame
size for you. I think somebody screwed up.

-=B=-