pashley 26"

Old January 18th 04, 04:58 PM
thinuniking

Default pashley 26"

i have been thinking about getting a muni for ages the pashley looks
good and cheap i would get a kh for it.How does it hold up i have only
seen xcountry riders use them.can they take a good trashing.And can you
up grade them.

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

If you don't need new underwear it wasn't worth it.
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old January 18th 04, 05:03 PM
nbrazzi

The Pashley 26" is not bad. However, I do regret getting it. Lollipop
bearing holders don't make any sense in our modern age. I have wished
many times that I'd gotten a 24". I think the 24" is better for Muni,
but there are conflicting opinions.

The uni has held up very well, although I am not an abusive rider.

Given what I know now, I would have gotten something different.

--
nbrazzi

any God with sense is going to want to promote unicycling

-onewheeldave on religion
nbrazzi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/917

Old January 18th 04, 05:22 PM
Richard Loxley

thinuniking wrote:
i have been thinking about getting a muni for ages the pashley looks
good and cheap i would get a kh for it.How does it hold up i have only
seen xcountry riders use them.can they take a good trashing.And can you
up grade them.

I love mine. I don't abuse mine much, but it's held up well to
my general use.

The one upgrade I would recommend immediately is to replace the
tyre. The original mine came with was lousy, it caused me to wobble
all over the place when I tried to ride in a straight line. I thought
it was just my lack of experience with a bigger wheel until I mentioned
it to Roger and he told me it was a known problem. I got a Gazalodi
tyre and it's great.

Of course, I bought mine about 4 years ago, so Pashley might have
changed the standard tyre by now.

- Richard
Old January 18th 04, 05:35 PM
joona

Lollipop bearing holders probably make upgrading the hub a bit harder. I
think a Nimbus might be a better choice if you can afford the extra 40£.
Pashley comes with a skinny tire and the saddle has no handle. Atleast
I like my Nimbus. I haven't been able to break or bend anything on mine
yet, and the new one comes with the stronger and wider hub. You might
want to save that extra 40£ before buying and get the Nimbus. But it's
all up to you.

PS. Nimbus looks nicer.

--
joona - )-O --Neat

'Aaaargghh!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2snl6)
Don't click the link. It makes your head hurt. It tells you to count the
black spots.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's a matter of taste.
They say beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes way down to the bone.
-Tatsuya Ishida
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

Old January 18th 04, 05:37 PM
joemarshall

Don't do it.

Pashleys were good about 4 years ago, but they haven't improved at all
and the other ones available have.

Things that are wrong with the Pashley -

1) Frame - it's much much worse than the Nimbus II and can't fit a 3"
tyre. It's also pretty heavy.

2) Seat - Much worse than the KH, no handle.

3) Tyre - Absolutely rubbish tyre

4) Bearings - non standard size bearings

5) Seatpost - requires a funny shim to use normal unicycle seatposts.

6) Hub - probably not as strong as the unicycle.com wide hub, has nuts
instead of bolts. Definately not as strong as the onza or KH splined
hubs.

The Nimbus Muni will be a much better unicycle, whichever wheel size you
choose. It'll also cost less than a Pashley + KH seat + new tyre, which
are pretty much the minimum upgrades you'd need to do to get a decent
unicycle.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old January 18th 04, 05:39 PM
johnhimsworth

go with the nimbus. By the time you've upgraded the seat and the tyre
you're already paying more. And the standard hub can take a fair bit of
punishment, so you could hold off on the hub upgrade if you did that. my
slightly upgraded nimbus II is pretty similar to the nimbus muni (combat
rim), and it's very nice.

John

--
johnhimsworth

Look! The Goodyear Blimp!
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

Old January 18th 04, 06:50 PM
Tom Holub

In article yclist.com,
joemarshall . com wrote:
)
)1) Frame - it's much much worse than the Nimbus II and can't fit a 3"
)tyre. It's also pretty heavy.

I think the frame is pretty high-quality--but you're right that it can't
fit a 3" tire, which makes it really inappropriate for a serious MUni.

)5) Seatpost - requires a funny shim to use normal unicycle seatposts.

The 25.0 seatpost is much, much better than a 22.2. You can use normal
*bike* seatposts, which gives you much more variety and choice. Please
let's not perpetuate the idea that 22.2 is a good idea.

I have a Pashley 29er, and now a Yuni MUni (26"). I don't think the Pashley
is a good choice for serious MUni, simply because it doesn't fit a 3" tire.
I'd also prefer it without the water-bottle braze-ons, which are pretty
useless on any uni and especially on a MUni. I would only get a Pashley if
you're looking for a touring and fire-road unicycle, not a MUni. And if
you're looking for that kind of uni, you should get the 29er, not the 26".
-Tom
Old January 18th 04, 07:17 PM
thinuniking

Thanks I do think a pashley would be good for xcountry but is dated by
the sounds of it i was thinking what some one said "after all the
minimum upgrades it's more expensive" I am more than likely going for a
nimbus 26"/24" with an old nimbus frame to save money and I can't see
why I would wouldn't a flat crown on a muni as I don't really want to
try 1 ft on that size wheel and I can't glide YET....The muni is not to
of my list a new hub/crank set for my trials is way more important
seeming I am starting to get a kangeroo.
Ben

Old January 18th 04, 07:47 PM
thinuniking

I can do it no problems on a 20" and I do not plan to try freestyle on a
26" only jumps maybe....