Footballer cycling accident

Old July 22nd 04, 11:25 AM
Squeaker

Default Footballer cycling accident

Sorry to hear this guy had an accident, but even sorrier the whole
team's been banned from cycling. I do find that when people first
discover I cycle on the roads they assume it's far more dangerous than
it really is.

http://tinyurl.com/6u3wp

--
Squeaker
Old July 22nd 04, 11:44 AM
David Martin

On 22/7/04 11:25 am, in article
, "Squeaker"
wrote:

Sorry to hear this guy had an accident, but even sorrier the whole
team's been banned from cycling. I do find that when people first
discover I cycle on the roads they assume it's far more dangerous than
it really is.

http://tinyurl.com/6u3wp

Especially in the light of the number of footballers who have been killed
whilst driving. Should they be banned from driving as well?

...d

Old July 22nd 04, 01:05 PM
Adrian Boliston

"David Martin" wrote in message

Especially in the light of the number of footballers who have been killed
whilst driving. Should they be banned from driving as well?

At a guess I would put walking as more dangerous than cycling (it certainly *felt*
more dangerous when I had to walk to work recently), so the team should be banned
from walking!

Old July 22nd 04, 01:30 PM
John Hearns

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:05:27 +0100, Adrian Boliston wrote:

At a guess I would put walking as more dangerous than cycling (it certainly *felt*
more dangerous when I had to walk to work recently), so the team should be banned
from walking!

Does anyone have the source for the plot in section 11.1
and the figures?
It renders so badly as to be unreadable.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/strategy/futur.../challenge.htm
Old July 22nd 04, 02:11 PM
Mark Thompson

Especially in the light of the number of footballers who have been
killed whilst driving. Should they be banned from driving as well?

At a guess I would put walking as more dangerous than cycling (it
certainly *felt* more dangerous when I had to walk to work recently),
so the team should be banned from walking!

I reckon playing football gives 'em the most injuries, so I'd ban 'em from
that as well. They seem to pick up loads of niggling injuries in training
to so I'd discourage that too. Of all sportsmen only rugby players seem to
have picked up on this, I presume this is why they spend an inordinate
amount of time in the pub.
Old July 22nd 04, 02:37 PM
David Hansen

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:44:08 +0100 someone who may be David Martin
wrote this:-

Especially in the light of the number of footballers who have been killed
whilst driving. Should they be banned from driving as well?

Heading the ball is also dangerous, though less so than it was in
the days of heavy waterlogged leather balls.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old July 22nd 04, 02:45 PM
Richard Bates

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:37:25 +0100, in
, David Hansen

wrote this:-

Especially in the light of the number of footballers who have been killed
whilst driving. Should they be banned from driving as well?

Heading the ball is also dangerous, though less so than it was in
the days of heavy waterlogged leather balls.

A very good case for Football Helmets.

--
I remember when the internet was only in black & white.
It only had a few pages but at least they all worked.
Old July 22nd 04, 04:10 PM
sean

Squeaker wrote in message ...
Sorry to hear this guy had an accident, but even sorrier the whole
team's been banned from cycling. I do find that when people first
discover I cycle on the roads they assume it's far more dangerous than
it really is.

http://tinyurl.com/6u3wp

Kevin Keegan has first hand, arm, shoulder, thigh, dignity experience
of cycling. I wonder if he shared an aside with Graeme Souness?

Some managers used to protect their players by banning them from
playing football against a team that had Graeme Souness in it?
Sean.
Old July 22nd 04, 11:48 PM
Sue

In message , Richard Bates
writes

Heading the ball is also dangerous, though less so than it was in
the days of heavy waterlogged leather balls.

A very good case for Football Helmets.

Helmets wouldn't prevent the brain damage that results from heading the
ball, but of course that's no reason for not insisting they be worn.

--
Sue ];(
Old July 23rd 04, 04:29 AM
Graeme

Richard Bates wrote in
news
A very good case for Football Helmets.

I was told once that when they allowed the wearing of helmets in shinty (or
was it hurling) then they banned wearers from heading the ball. The ball is
fairly small and can be travelling at a fair old speed, the idea of heading
it *without* a helmet seems a bit extreme.

Graeme