Opinions on wireless computers?

Old September 6th 04, 07:24 AM
Preston Crawford

Default Opinions on wireless computers?

I got my rain bike worked out. Now I need a computer for it. I'm
considering wireless because I've noticed (haven't computer shopped for
like 3 years) that wireless has gotten a lot cheaper).

In general, how well do these work, especially in rainy weather? Does the
weather even interfere with computers? Secondly, here are a couple I'm
considering...

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4110

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4110

They're both $30 at my local Performance. Any opinions on their
reliability?

One last question. The bike I bought came with cushy seat (it's a hybrid).
I want a hard split saddle. I've used the Body Geometry in the past with
success, but before I went that route I was wondering if anyone had a
recommendation. Once again, because I don't buy saddles THAT often, so my
only frame of reference for a good cheap saddle is Body Geometry. And
that's not really that cheap.

Once again, just looking for opinions. I'm doing plenty of research
online, but curious as to what others think.

Thanks,

Preston

Old September 6th 04, 05:18 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 01:24:28 -0500, Preston Crawford wrote:

I got my rain bike worked out. Now I need a computer for it. I'm
considering wireless because I've noticed (haven't computer shopped for
like 3 years) that wireless has gotten a lot cheaper).

In general, how well do these work, especially in rainy weather? Does the
weather even interfere with computers? Secondly, here are a couple I'm
considering...

Why wireless? I mean, we have all gotten used to remote controls (even on
small-screen TVs -- I even have one on an office air conditioner),
cordless phones, and computers. But these are wireless because you move
them around, or you don't want to bother getting all that exercise to
actually get up off the couch.

But your bike computer sits on its mounting bracket on the handlebars, and
the pickup is carefully positioned to sense the magnet. You aren't moving
it around --- even if you use the same computer for more than one bike,
you need a second mounting bracket and sensor for the second bike, you
don't just move the computer. Where is the advantage of wireless? You
then have a second set of batteries to replace, you have to worry about
interference and performance in the rain, all for?? Just not having a
wire on the bike? But you've got cables all over the thing already unless
you are riding a fixed gear with no brake (dumb idea, too).

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 6th 04, 07:05 PM
Raoul Duke

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message

Once again, just looking for opinions. I'm doing plenty of research
online, but curious as to what others think.

The only thing I might suggest is that you find one with an auto start
feature. I don't know how many times I've been out riding, stopped to take
a break, and forgot to turn the damn thing back on when I got back on my
bike. Not a big deal unless you like to accurately track your mileage, and
I do.

Dave

Old September 6th 04, 07:32 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-06, David L. Johnson wrote:
But your bike computer sits on its mounting bracket on the handlebars, and
the pickup is carefully positioned to sense the magnet. You aren't moving
it around --- even if you use the same computer for more than one bike,
you need a second mounting bracket and sensor for the second bike, you
don't just move the computer. Where is the advantage of wireless? You
then have a second set of batteries to replace, you have to worry about
interference and performance in the rain, all for?? Just not having a
wire on the bike? But you've got cables all over the thing already unless
you are riding a fixed gear with no brake (dumb idea, too).

I would normally agree. The thought was that if the price point was
identical and performance was identical, then why NOT the wireless, since
then it would be easier to install? That's my thinking. If the performance
is worse than a wired, then definitely I'd go with wired.

Preston
Old September 6th 04, 07:32 PM
Preston Crawford

Old September 7th 04, 02:19 AM
Bob Anderson

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 11:05:23 -0700, "Raoul Duke" wrote:

The only thing I might suggest is that you find one with an auto start
feature. I don't know how many times I've been out riding, stopped to take
a break, and forgot to turn the damn thing back on when I got back on my
bike. Not a big deal unless you like to accurately track your mileage, and
I do.

Agree there, auto start is nice. I have a Cateye Wireless 7, works fine, easy to install.
Don't get it near you cell phone while on a call, it goes crazy. Not common while riding,
but noticed it once before the ride.

I often forget to start my Polar heart monitor, missing a few minutes, no big deal I
guess.

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon

Old September 7th 04, 09:14 AM

Same topic - different question...

Has anyone seen a wireless computer that also does cadence? I can't
find one and I'm guessing the second sensor/transmitter is "too much"
for wireless.