Crankset opinions

Old December 15th 04, 02:11 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

ex- I am building up a bike and would like some opinions about cranksets. My
bike will be a Chorus drivetrain, except for the crankset. I am
interested in the new class of external bearing cransets; FSA K force
mega exo, Truvative Rolleur carbon, and ummm, dura ace. Any opinions on
the first two? BRBR

I say, just sold our first FSA. Nice piece of gear. External bearings a good
idea to fix the 'small bearing, big BB spindle' problem.

As for my opinion, it'll look good at the coffee shop but functionally, will do
nothing for your 'ride', when compared to a Chours crank and BB..

What 'problem' are you trying to solve? What question are you trying to answer
by not using a Chorus crank?

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 15th 04, 04:40 PM
Jay Beattie

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote in message
ex- I am building up a bike and would like some opinions

about cranksets. My
bike will be a Chorus drivetrain, except for the crankset. I am
interested in the new class of external bearing cransets; FSA K

force
mega exo, Truvative Rolleur carbon, and ummm, dura ace. Any

opinions on
the first two? BRBR

I say, just sold our first FSA. Nice piece of gear. External

bearings a good
idea to fix the 'small bearing, big BB spindle' problem.

As for my opinion, it'll look good at the coffee shop but

functionally, will do
nothing for your 'ride', when compared to a Chours crank and

BB..

What 'problem' are you trying to solve? What question are you

trying to answer
by not using a Chorus crank?

If it is an issue of weight saving, the FSA carbon pro team crank
is in the low $200s (and dropping). It is a fine crank and
considerably cheaper than any of the Campy carbon offerings. The
steel or Ti ISIS FSA bottom brackets are pretty cheap, too. I
would not bother with anything more expensive, not with the
potential of an interface sea change within the next five or so
years. All this stuff may become Dura Ace AX in the next five
years (yes, I hold on to bikes for more than five years -- or 25
years in the case of my commuter). -- Jay Beattie.

Old December 15th 04, 06:26 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jay- If it is an issue of weight saving, the FSA carbon pro team crank
is in the low $200s (and dropping). It is a fine crank and
considerably cheaper than any of the Campy carbon offerings. The
steel or Ti ISIS FSA bottom brackets are pretty cheap, too BRBR

I guess but the FSA/RTi BB is still $300+.
Chorus aluminum crank and Record BB is less $ and only slightly 'heavier'. Plus
I would bet the Campagnoo bearings will outlast any ISIS BB.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 15th 04, 07:38 PM
Drew Eckhardt

In article ,
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
As for my opinion, it'll look good at the coffee shop but functionally, will do
nothing for your 'ride', when compared to a Chours crank and BB..

My thoughts were that if women can spend hundreds on clothes that will be
soon outdated and baubles with no functionality, we guys can spend less
on bike jewelry we'll use daily for 5-10 years.

So I bought an FSA carbon crank ($70 more than an aluminum part) when I
wore out my triple chain rings and switched to a compact double. The
new FSA carbons with the one-piece right crankarm+spider are even prettier
are a lot less expensive than the Campy carbon compacts.

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
9/11 was a premptive attack
Old December 16th 04, 12:32 AM
Donald Gillies

"Jay Beattie" writes:

What 'problem' are you trying to solve? What question are you
trying to answer by not using a Chorus crank?

If it is an issue of weight saving, the FSA carbon pro team crank
is in the low $200s (and dropping).

I don't like the look of the webbed Carbon PRO TEAM crank, but I think
the Carbon Pro Elite crank is quite pretty and graceful looking, and
110 bcd to boot. I can understand your interest to buy one of these
over the (bland) Campagnolo Record / Chorus crankset, for just a
little bit more money ... and unlimited future chainring availability.

- Don "Chorus 2003" Gillies
San Diego, CA