Another one. Very sad.

Old February 3rd 10, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
marco

Default Another one. Very sad.

http://auburnjournal.com/detail/141093.html

He was one of my heroes when I was just starting bike racing as a kid.

Old February 3rd 10, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

"marco" a écrit profondement:

| http://auburnjournal.com/detail/141093.html
|
| He was one of my heroes when I was just starting bike racing as a kid.

Another woman not looking where she was going

--
Davey Crockett
-
Old February 3rd 10, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Feb 3, 4:19*am, Davey Crockett wrote:
"marco" a écrit profondement:

|http://auburnjournal.com/detail/141093.html
|
| He was one of my heroes when I was just starting bike racing as a kid.

Another woman not looking where she was going

They should check her phone records. She was very likely on the phone
or texting at the time of the accident. May not matter in traffic
court (depends on the state laws regarding such things) but would be
useful info in a civil court case, I imagine.
Old February 3rd 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

Scott a écrit profondement:

| On Feb 3, 4:19*am, Davey Crockett wrote:
| "marco" a écrit profondement:
|
| |http://auburnjournal.com/detail/141093.html
| |
| | He was one of my heroes when I was just starting bike racing as a kid.
| |

| Another woman not looking where she was going
|

| They should check her phone records. She was very likely on the phone
| or texting at the time of the accident. May not matter in traffic
| court (depends on the state laws regarding such things) but would be
| useful info in a civil court case, I imagine.

Unfortunately the records show that with few exceptions, eg: where the
judge rides a bike, the motorist gets off comparatively lightly:

--
Davey Crockett
Old February 3rd 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Feb 3, 7:05*am, Davey Crockett wrote:
Scott a écrit profondement:

| On Feb 3, 4:19*am, Davey Crockett wrote:
| "marco" a écrit profondement:
|
| |http://auburnjournal.com/detail/141093.html
| |
| | He was one of my heroes when I was just starting bike racing as a kid.
| |

| Another woman not looking where she was going
|

| They should check her phone records. *She was very likely on the phone
| or texting at the time of the accident. *May not matter in traffic
| court (depends on the state laws regarding such things) but would be
| useful info in a civil court case, I imagine.

Unfortunately the records show that with few exceptions, eg: *where the
judge rides a bike, the motorist gets off comparatively lightly:

--
Davey Crockett *

Too true, for most locales. CO has started to toughen up a bit, but
not enough for my tastes. At least texting while driving is illegal
and we have the '3 feet' law. Of course, just yesterday I was buzzed
by a guy on a motorcycle, and when I spoke to him at the next
intersection he not-so-politely informed me that regardless of what
the laws say or what I may think, I do not have a right to ride a bike
on a road. He knew about the law, but just didn't give a damn.
Old February 3rd 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime[_2_]

"marco" a écrit profondement:

[...]

I'm betting just from the short details, that this driver was fiddling with
something while driving. Many years ago, two couples were killed on Blood
Alley somewhere between Los Banos and the other side of the pass, not sure
where, but the driver told police she was looking down changing out a
cassette music tape when she hit them. That has got to be one of the most
incredibly sad cases out there. But while this is sad, drivers are
increasingly engaged in multitasking gadgets nearly all the time. According
to Frontline documentary, our new generation are multitasking nearly all the
time and are not learning to focus on any one thing like their parents were
taught. Pretty scary concept for bike riders out on the asphalt frontier.
The nurse who hit me was on the wrong side of the road, and I believe she
was fiddling with her cell phone.

Old February 4th 10, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

"marco" a écrit profondement:

[...]

That section of road isn't "Blood Alley," Bruce. Blood Alley was a section of
US101 in south San Jose, wich has since been converted into full on freeway. It used
to be a simple highway with cross traffic. The accident you mentioned happened out on
Watsonville Rd, as I recall.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old February 4th 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

She was txting or some other **** up.

I remember the days when cyclists were only killed by drunks and
assholes in trucks.

Now any mother, salesperson of teenager can kill one at will with
practical immunity.

I'm sure the txt she was writing to her BFF right before killing him
was totally LOL and worth another persons life.

Old February 4th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Cicero Venatio

drivers are
increasingly engaged in multitasking gadgets nearly all the time. According
to Frontline documentary, our new generation are multitasking nearly all the
time and are not learning to focus on any one thing like their parents were
taught. Pretty scary concept for bike riders out on the asphalt frontier.
The nurse who hit me was on the wrong side of the road, and I believe she
was fiddling with her cell phone.

---------------
Saw that frontline too. What was scary were the expert multi-taskers
thought they were doing very well at it, but the tests showed they were
doing each task poorly. Tried to do multi-tasking myself, and it sucks,
but I least knew I was doing a poor job on each, but it is amazing how
people think they can do it. It's the same old story of how a drunk
thinks he drives better after a few, but put him on an obstacle course
and he flunks.
Old February 4th 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:28:39 -0800, Howard Kveck
wrote:

That section of road isn't "Blood Alley," Bruce. Blood Alley was a section of
US101 in south San Jose, wich has since been converted into full on freeway. It used
to be a simple highway with cross traffic. The accident you mentioned happened out on
Watsonville Rd, as I recall.

--

I vaguely (hey, it was, well, a long time ago) remember a major merge
on a curve back then where it was nasty even for the automobile

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...