Opinions - FS <$1000

Old August 2nd 04, 10:02 PM
Trace Trimble

Default Opinions - FS <$1000

i'm looking for a decent sub-$1000 full susp bike to replace my stolen '00
K2 Zed-X hardtail. i ride fire roads and a few trails in/around Austin, TX
which are pretty rocky and technical.

i realize this is almost the bottom end for FS setups, but i am not an
overly aggressive rider, and really had very few reliability problems with
my old low-end hardtail with just a few upgrades. i want something with a
good frame & decent basic set of components. i actually enjoy breaking
stuff and replacing it with bulletproof stuff. i had added disc brakes to
my K2, and won't consider anything that isn't at least disc-ready. (hubs &
caliper mounts)

here are a couple bikes i've narrowed my interest to, and my impressions.
please share any opinions and/or suggestions on other complete bikes
consider.

- Specialized FSR XC -- proven & refined frame design, decent components,
poor reviews on the Manitou Axel forks, frame sizes seem large
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6764

- K2 Attack 2.0 -- was very happy with my old K2, better(?) components &
forks, feels a little more solid for some reason
http://www.k2bikes.com/04products/full/attack2.asp

thanks all-
Trace

Old August 2nd 04, 10:18 PM
Dan

&
caliper mounts)

here are a couple bikes i've narrowed my interest to, and my impressions.
please share any opinions and/or suggestions on other complete bikes
consider.

- Specialized FSR XC -- proven & refined frame design, decent components,
poor reviews on the Manitou Axel forks, frame sizes seem large
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6764

Very nice bike, would be a good choice.

Old August 2nd 04, 11:29 PM
S o r n i

Trace Trimble wrote:
i'm looking for a decent sub-$1000 full susp bike to replace my
stolen '00 K2 Zed-X hardtail. i ride fire roads and a few trails
in/around Austin, TX which are pretty rocky and technical.

{Snip}

Since you're not a newb, how about something used? You might just find a
gem.

Bill "beats a shiny turd" S.

Old August 3rd 04, 02:57 AM
Andy Mullins

I was looking for something in the same price range and settled on the Jamis
Dakar Sport. It rides good and is speced good for the price.

[...]

---

Old August 3rd 04, 03:06 AM
gtt

thanks for the replies.

i've been looking for a few weeks on the used market, but i'm seeing two
things; resale seems pretty high around here, and it's hard to find
something i want in my size. i'd rather just shell out the extra couple
hundred & get something now, and with a warranty.

i'va also been eyeing a Haro Extreme X1:
http://www.harobikes.com/2004/extremex1/

it's about 4 lbs heavier than the other two, and seems to be more of a
DH-specific design... any feedback on that one?

thanks
Trace