Avaricious randonneurs.

Old November 17th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

Default Avaricious randonneurs.

Why do it if all you get for your troubles is a paper certificate?
Old November 17th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

thirty-six wrote, On 11/17/2009 2:36 PM:
Why do it if all you get for your troubles is a paper certificate?

Are you suggesting that the certificate is not worth the paper that it
is written on?

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old November 17th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Norman

On Nov 17, 2:36*pm, thirty-six wrote:
Why do it if all you get for your troubles is a paper certificate?

You would prefer something with a bit more extrinsic
value? Some nice potato latkes, perhaps? Maybe
a squirrel-themed cupcake?
Old November 17th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 17 Nov, 19:57, Paul O wrote:
thirty-six wrote, On 11/17/2009 2:36 PM: Why do it if all you get for your troubles is a paper certificate?

Are you suggesting that the certificate is not worth the paper that it
is written on?

As long as that paper will burn.
Old November 18th 09, 11:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jeremy Parker

"thirty-six" wrote in message
Why do it if all you get for your troubles is a paper certificate?

If you have to ask the question, you will never know the answer

Jeremy Parker

Old November 19th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Nov 17, 1:36*pm, thirty-six wrote:
Why do it if all you get for your troubles is a paper certificate?

Why do what?
Old November 19th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 19 Nov, 00:28, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
On Nov 17, 1:36*pm, thirty-six wrote:

Why do it if all you get for your troubles is a paper certificate?

Why do what?

take the risk of embarrassment for not completing, oh the shame.
Old November 19th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:36:57 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
wrote:

Why do it if all you get for your troubles is a paper certificate?

Randonneurs get a certificate?

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old November 19th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Bauman

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:36:57 -0800, thirty-six wrote:

Why do it if all you get for your troubles is a paper certificate?

In these troubled economic times, it's something one can add to one's
resume. :=)

There were cheering crowds along the route, when I rode PBP in 1979. It
was the closest I ever came to experiencing the ego trip that athletes
must experience. It's the endorphin rush.

There was one sense of reality. I stayed a week in Paris for r&r after
PBP. I visited a bike shop on the fashionable Avenue de la Grande Armee
and told the proprietress about my exploit. She inquired about how much
money I received. "Nothing", I replied. What about press coverage? Again,
I replied, "nothing". Her reaction was: pas d'argent, pas de presse;
monsieur, vous etes fou!

The pain and suffering are forgotten in the intervening years. The sense
of achievement remains.

Stephen Bauman
Old November 19th 09, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 19 Nov, 12:46, Stephen Bauman wrote:
[...]

Did you think, before the event, that it was a substitute for racing?