seeking water resistant cycling shoes

Old November 23rd 09, 09:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bobdobbs

Default seeking water resistant cycling shoes

I'm looking for bicycle touring shoes that I can walk in and that are
also water resistant. I am not using clipless pedals. I've been using
some cool Shimanos and Lake shoes from the 1980's but nothing is
available like them. I am not looking for any of the high tech stuff.
I've heard about Cannondale Roams but they seem stiff - any experience
with them? I realize there will be some trade offs, want some support
but also off-cycle availability.
Old November 23rd 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 23 Nov, 09:58, bobdobbs wrote:
I'm looking for bicycle touring shoes that I can walk in and that are
also water resistant. I am not using clipless pedals. I've been using
some cool Shimanos and Lake shoes from the 1980's but nothing is
available like them. *I am not looking for any of the high tech stuff.
I've heard about Cannondale Roams but they seem stiff - any experience
with them? I realize there will be some trade offs, want some support
but also off-cycle availability.

Exustar have received acclaim for their touring style shoes in the
past.
Old November 23rd 09, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Simon Lewis

thirty-six writes:

On 23 Nov, 09:58, bobdobbs wrote:
I'm looking for bicycle touring shoes that I can walk in and that are
also water resistant. I am not using clipless pedals. I've been using
some cool Shimanos and Lake shoes from the 1980's but nothing is
available like them. Â*I am not looking for any of the high tech stuff.
I've heard about Cannondale Roams but they seem stiff - any experience
with them? I realize there will be some trade offs, want some support
but also off-cycle availability.

Exustar have received acclaim for their touring style shoes in the
past.

The Shimano MTB shoes are excellent. MTB 52/51 are without
equal. Comfortable. Long lasting. Waterproof.

Possibly you might consider them too "hi tech". But really not.

Old November 23rd 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Simon Lewis wrote:
thirty-six writes:

On 23 Nov, 09:58, bobdobbs wrote:
I'm looking for bicycle touring shoes that I can walk in and that are
also water resistant. I am not using clipless pedals. I've been using
some cool Shimanos and Lake shoes from the 1980's but nothing is
available like them. I am not looking for any of the high tech stuff.
I've heard about Cannondale Roams but they seem stiff - any experience
with them? I realize there will be some trade offs, want some support
but also off-cycle availability.

Exustar have received acclaim for their touring style shoes in the
past.

The Shimano MTB shoes are excellent. MTB 52/51 are without
equal. Comfortable. Long lasting. Waterproof.

Possibly you might consider them too "hi tech". But really not.

I consider all Shimano shoes too narrow.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 23rd 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Simon Lewis

Tom Sherman °_° writes:

Simon Lewis wrote:
thirty-six writes:

On 23 Nov, 09:58, bobdobbs wrote:
I'm looking for bicycle touring shoes that I can walk in and that are
also water resistant. I am not using clipless pedals. I've been using
some cool Shimanos and Lake shoes from the 1980's but nothing is
available like them. I am not looking for any of the high tech stuff.
I've heard about Cannondale Roams but they seem stiff - any experience
with them? I realize there will be some trade offs, want some support
but also off-cycle availability.
Exustar have received acclaim for their touring style shoes in the
past.

The Shimano MTB shoes are excellent. MTB 52/51 are without
equal. Comfortable. Long lasting. Waterproof.

Possibly you might consider them too "hi tech". But really not.

I consider all Shimano shoes too narrow.

I consider all under 40 shorts too small. What is your point?

Clearly you have them fitted. I can not account for everyones foot size
when making a recommendation.

Old November 23rd 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Simon Lewis wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° writes:

Simon Lewis wrote:
thirty-six writes:

[...]

Some bicycle shoe makers accommodate not only different lengths of feet,
but different widths. Shimano only makes one width, which is too narrow
for people that need an "E" width.

Old November 23rd 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Simon Lewis

Tom Sherman °_° writes:

Simon Lewis wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° writes:

Simon Lewis wrote:
thirty-six writes:

[...]

That's nice. But the point is you don't know his or anyone elses foot
size here.

I will rephrase:

"If you can find a pair that fit .... I recommend the MT51/52" ....

Old November 23rd 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Nov 23, 3:58*am, bobdobbs wrote:
I'm looking for bicycle touring shoes that I can walk in and that are
also water resistant. I am not using clipless pedals. I've been using
some cool Shimanos and Lake shoes from the 1980's but nothing is
available like them. *I am not looking for any of the high tech stuff.
I've heard about Cannondale Roams but they seem stiff - any experience
with them? I realize there will be some trade offs, want some support
but also off-cycle availability.

If you're using a supportive pedal, just about any shoe can be a
cycling shoe. "Urban sneaker" type of shoes with smooth leather are
easily waterproofed, and work great with mtb flats or platform pedals
and toeclips. I've been partial to using Blundstone boots in truly
brutal icebiking conditions, as they're totally waterproof, light, and
have seamless tops.
Old November 23rd 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 23 Nov, 19:04, landotter wrote:
On Nov 23, 3:58*am, bobdobbs wrote:

I'm looking for bicycle touring shoes that I can walk in and that are
also water resistant. I am not using clipless pedals. I've been using
some cool Shimanos and Lake shoes from the 1980's but nothing is
available like them. *I am not looking for any of the high tech stuff..
I've heard about Cannondale Roams but they seem stiff - any experience
with them? I realize there will be some trade offs, want some support
but also off-cycle availability.

If you're using a supportive pedal, just about any shoe can be a
cycling shoe. "Urban sneaker" type of shoes with smooth leather are
easily waterproofed, and work great with mtb flats or platform pedals
and toeclips. I've been partial to using Blundstone boots in truly
brutal icebiking conditions, as they're totally waterproof, light, and
have seamless tops.

I've managed well with leather soled office type shoes, just wax them
well. Dress shoes generally dont have the sole thickness desirable,
but then again, since I only use low pedalling forces as a rule now,
perhaps even these are suitable.
Old November 27th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
thirty-six wrote:

On 23 Nov, 09:58, bobdobbs wrote:
I'm looking for bicycle touring shoes that I can walk in and that are
also water resistant. I am not using clipless pedals. I've been using
some cool Shimanos and Lake shoes from the 1980's but nothing is
available like them. *I am not looking for any of the high tech stuff.
I've heard about Cannondale Roams but they seem stiff - any experience
with them? I realize there will be some trade offs, want some support
but also off-cycle availability.

Exustar have received acclaim for their touring style shoes in the
past.

I am one of their fans. I have both some Duegi winter boots, and the
Exustars, and I prefer the Exustars. The usual recommendation is to go
one size big and wear winter socks. I sized mine with thick socks, and
am happy. My preferred socks are wool hunting socks. I may try some
others.

My experience includes quite a few 3-hour rides on wet wintry days in
Vancouver; the Exustars and good socks make such rides perfectly
tolerable where neoprene booties didn't work for me.

http://www.exustar.com/sm450.php