Low profile tires ?

Old May 25th 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Low profile tires ?

I saw a bike today with the rim real close to the street.

I had a second look and saw black under the rim.

Do they make low profile tires for bikes ?

Andy
Old May 25th 17, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 7:58:59 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
I saw a bike today with the rim real close to the street.

I had a second look and saw black under the rim.

Do they make low profile tires for bikes ?

Andy

We're seeing progressively wider rims that end up pulling the sidewalls of the tire out and the depth of the tire is reduced. In these cases you should use wider tires to obtain a normal profile.

Old May 30th 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 6:35:42 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:30:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 7:58:59 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
I saw a bike today with the rim real close to the street.

I had a second look and saw black under the rim.

Do they make low profile tires for bikes ?

Andy

We're seeing progressively wider rims that end up pulling the sidewalls of the tire out and the depth of the tire is reduced. In these cases you should use wider tires to obtain a normal profile.

I have a set of these rims. Last Sunday I got a flat and it's a real bugger to get the tire off if you don't remember to break the bead on the opposite side and pull the opposite side to the middle.
Old May 30th 17, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 30/05/2017 9:35 AM, Andy wrote:
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:30:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 7:58:59 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
I saw a bike today with the rim real close to the street.

I had a second look and saw black under the rim.

Do they make low profile tires for bikes ?

Andy

We're seeing progressively wider rims that end up pulling the sidewalls of the tire out and the depth of the tire is reduced. In these cases you should use wider tires to obtain a normal profile.

Interesting.

Andy

My HED Ardennes 23SL wheels are 23mm and are designed for 23mm tires.
The current model Ardennses Plus are 25mm and as far as I know they are
designed for 25mm tires.
http://www.hedwheels.com/hed-wheels-faq.asp

Old May 30th 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 9:35:42 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:30:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 7:58:59 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
I saw a bike today with the rim real close to the street.

I had a second look and saw black under the rim.

Do they make low profile tires for bikes ?

Andy

We're seeing progressively wider rims that end up pulling the sidewalls of the tire out and the depth of the tire is reduced. In these cases you should use wider tires to obtain a normal profile.

Interesting.

Andy

lower profile tires decrease muscle/nervous system input to the contact patch for cornering n correction response

if you wanted this consider a different fork trail

a shorter sidewall...given the idea all advances in sidewall construction apply to all sidewall both tall and short ..produces a harder ride.

harder ride is deflection per road irregularity and cumulative deflection thus lose of adhesion.

the sales pitch does not mention that..the low profile may produce less not more performance but sell more tires

consider then the opposite where a soft grippy tire produces more grip, less deflection but longer response times.

leaving the ball in your hands where your control and soft grippy tires produces faster more effective adhesion.

IHS
Old May 31st 17, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 30 May 2017 10:17:41 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 30/05/2017 9:35 AM, Andy wrote:
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:30:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 7:58:59 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
I saw a bike today with the rim real close to the street.

I had a second look and saw black under the rim.

Do they make low profile tires for bikes ?

Andy

We're seeing progressively wider rims that end up pulling the sidewalls of the tire out and the depth of the tire is reduced. In these cases you should use wider tires to obtain a normal profile.

Interesting.

Andy

My HED Ardennes 23SL wheels are 23mm and are designed for 23mm tires.
The current model Ardennses Plus are 25mm and as far as I know they are
designed for 25mm tires.
http://www.hedwheels.com/hed-wheels-faq.asp

Sheldon published a table of rim width and usable tire widths.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 31st 17, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Not much luck finding Sheldon's comments about HED technology.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Impli...idth_2803.html
Here they quote him only as saying that you can fit wider tires than the
charts spec.

This has nothing to do with HED's recommended tire sizes for optimal
performance on their rims.
Old May 31st 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Some of you may recall that I bought a set of Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires since they cost 3/4ths the cost of a Gatorskin and I wanted to test them.

After installing them the very first thing that was apparent was that the rolling resistance was far less than the Gatorskin as a first guess. I still believe that.

I had a flat and discovered that you have to be careful trying to remove them from the wider rims because they tend to stick on the off-side and then not lift enough to be removed on the working side. So always push the off-side into the center as much as possible.

The flat appeared to be from a goathead despite this being early in the season for such thorns. But this has been a very unusual year. All tires I've ever tested get flats from goats heads and very often you cannot find anything other than a small puncture.

Well, now Michelin has had so much success with the Endurance that they have come out with a Power Endurance. This has more tread depth and a harder anti-puncture belt. And they cost half again as much as a Gatorskin. Success breeds obnoxious pricing.
Old June 1st 17, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

--
Cheers,