Chain slipping

Old October 1st 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DaveC

Default Chain slipping

Reconstituted mtb with new chain on used 9s cassette & 3x rings. (Bought the
bike used and never rode it before now so don't know its distant history.)

Standing on pedals in high gear (big-small -- 44 & 11) is OK except for once
every few revolutions of the pedals when the chain slips a tooth.

Rear derailleur is installed, front is not. (Have no shifters installed yet;
this was just a validation ride to check frame, suspension, steering, brakes,
bearings, etc.)

How do I determine if front or rear gears are the problem?

Turning pedals backward shows no stiff links in the chain.

Thanks.

Old October 1st 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cicero Venatio

DaveC wrote:
Reconstituted mtb with new chain on used 9s cassette & 3x rings. (Bought the
bike used and never rode it before now so don't know its distant history.)

Standing on pedals in high gear (big-small -- 44 & 11) is OK except for once
every few revolutions of the pedals when the chain slips a tooth.

Rear derailleur is installed, front is not. (Have no shifters installed yet;
this was just a validation ride to check frame, suspension, steering, brakes,
bearings, etc.)

How do I determine if front or rear gears are the problem?

Turning pedals backward shows no stiff links in the chain.

Thanks.

-----------
Have the same problem, new crank, new everything, 9 speed. Doesn't
happen all the time, only once and a while, which makes it tough to
diagnose. Could it be chain line?
Old October 1st 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 1, 9:09*am, DaveC wrote:
Reconstituted mtb with new chain on used 9s cassette & 3x rings. (Bought the
bike used and never rode it before now so don't know its distant history.)

Standing on pedals in high gear (big-small -- 44 & 11) is OK except for once
every few revolutions of the pedals when the chain slips a tooth.

Rear derailleur is installed, front is not. (Have no shifters installed yet;
this was just a validation ride to check frame, suspension, steering, brakes,
bearings, etc.)

How do I determine if front or rear gears are the problem?

Turning pedals backward shows no stiff links in the chain.

Thanks.

Replacing worn chain and keeping old cassette is a no-no. Once the
chain and cassette are worn together you need to keep them until the
dissappear into thin air and get a new set. The teeth on the old
cassette are worn out and dont' properly fit the chain. So, you'll
have some skips and jumps until you wear out the chain to the worn
cassette.

Best thing to do is get a new cassette to go with new chain. Then,
keep chain clean and lubricated and it will give you thousands of
miles of service. I have two chains that I clean and wax. Put one on
the bike and ride it for a few hundred miles. Take it off and put the
other chain on and ride it for a while. Then, I clean both chains and
start again. I have several thousand miles in the cassette and two
chains combined and don't plan to replace any time soon.

If the cassette is functional except for one gear, you may be able to
just replace the sprocket if you can find one. My suggestion is that
you buy a cheap, new cassette at bike nashbar or another mail order
shop.
Old October 1st 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 1 Oct, 16:09, DaveC wrote:
Reconstituted mtb with new chain on used 9s cassette & 3x rings. (Bought the
bike used and never rode it before now so don't know its distant history.)

Standing on pedals in high gear (big-small -- 44 & 11) is OK except for once
every few revolutions of the pedals when the chain slips a tooth.

Rear derailleur is installed, front is not. (Have no shifters installed yet;
this was just a validation ride to check frame, suspension, steering, brakes,
bearings, etc.)

How do I determine if front or rear gears are the problem?

Turning pedals backward shows no stiff links in the chain.

Thanks.

Cement a toothpick to the seatstay, if the chain rides up the sprocket
teeth it snaps the pick. As you have an even number of teeth on the
front sprocket, mark a tooth which corresponds to an inner link. If
the chain jumps only one tooth, you can examine the chain position and
it will show that an outer link now corresponds with your mark.

Replacing the chain, not necessarily new (just as long as it isn't as
worn), may prevent the jumping.