bearing problem in BB or pedals? and "IBDB"

Old May 23rd 17, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default bearing problem in BB or pedals? and "IBDB"

When you pedal and notice there is a bearing problem
is there a way to determine if it is in the BB or in
one of the pedals?

When I rotate the crank and spin pedals by hand
I don't feel anything but when I ride the bike there
is a sensation of a pebble popping just under my feet.

This bike is really old, a Monark from the 60s
perhaps. The front wheel has huge flanges and instead
of dome nuts are huge open wing nuts. The pulley is
~1.5 as big as the familiar Torpedo one. Also the
fork, kickstand, and reflectors all look very old.

So I wonder, you know of the Internet Movie Database,
or IMDB, is there a similar way to look up old bikes?
(And new ones for that matter.)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old May 23rd 17, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message
When you pedal and notice there is a bearing problem
is there a way to determine if it is in the BB or in
one of the pedals?

When I rotate the crank and spin pedals by hand
I don't feel anything but when I ride the bike there
is a sensation of a pebble popping just under my feet.

This bike is really old, a Monark from the 60s

If its really old - I'd replace the pedals *AND* service the BB.

If its *REALLY* old - you might be able to service the pedal bearings too.

Old May 23rd 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:11:50 AM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
When you pedal and notice there is a bearing problem
is there a way to determine if it is in the BB or in
one of the pedals?

When I rotate the crank and spin pedals by hand
I don't feel anything but when I ride the bike there
is a sensation of a pebble popping just under my feet.

This bike is really old, a Monark from the 60s
perhaps. The front wheel has huge flanges and instead
of dome nuts are huge open wing nuts. The pulley is
~1.5 as big as the familiar Torpedo one. Also the
fork, kickstand, and reflectors all look very old.

So I wonder, you know of the Internet Movie Database,
or IMDB, is there a similar way to look up old bikes?
(And new ones for that matter.)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Switch out the pedals and if the noise goes away you know it was the pedals.

Cheers