A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flat again today but prepared.

Old May 16th 21, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary
external usenet poster

Default Flat again today but prepared.

So today at mile 50 heading back into town I hit a huge deep pothole. A car was passing so I really had to hold my line and not avoid it. Sure enough in a hurry a pinch flat.

My first confession is I still had one CO2 canister so I loaded it and frankly I must be an idiot. I manage to get some of it in the tire but it seems to leak out somewhere around the fitting/stem as I hold the chuck. No problem got my new Leyzene Road drive out and got it up nicely in a hurry. Frankly it would be just about as fast with just using the pump.

So I then go on and finish the ride 6 more miles for 56 today. I check the rear tire at home with floor pump that has gauge and the PSI was 84. No issues that works fine. I then topped it off to around 100.

I am I the only idiot who has no CO2 skills and even it I did would find it not dependable to ever really rely on.
Deacon mark
Ads
Old May 16th 21, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 9:40:16 AM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
So today at mile 50 heading back into town I hit a huge deep pothole. A car was passing so I really had to hold my line and not avoid it. Sure enough in a hurry a pinch flat.

My first confession is I still had one CO2 canister so I loaded it and frankly I must be an idiot. I manage to get some of it in the tire but it seems to leak out somewhere around the fitting/stem as I hold the chuck. No problem got my new Leyzene Road drive out and got it up nicely in a hurry. Frankly it would be just about as fast with just using the pump.

So I then go on and finish the ride 6 more miles for 56 today. I check the rear tire at home with floor pump that has gauge and the PSI was 84. No issues that works fine. I then topped it off to around 100.

I am I the only idiot who has no CO2 skills and even it I did would find it not dependable to ever really rely on.
Deacon mark

Most of the "compact" CO2 fillers have an O-ring in them to seal these things so that they will work with both Schrader and Presta valves. Who the hell uses CO2 to repair a touring bike that uses Schrader valves? Anyway, that O-ring is often lost after the first use and that is why it will leak. One of the fillers I got contained a bag of replacement O-rings.
Old May 16th 21, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 5/16/2021 11:40 AM, Mark cleary wrote:

Deacon mark

As with so many human activities, you don't use CO2
cartridges every day and there's a long time span between
events (hopefully) so you, like most people, are always a
rank amateur at it.

I always ended my flat-tire classes with the note that, 'a
flat is never at a convenient time, often associated with
rain, heat, cold, mosquitoes or just running late to be
somewhere else, That makes your psychology second rate.
Knowing that you have done this successfully here tonight
should help your attitude in future.'

You seem to have the right attitude and good for you!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old May 16th 21, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 2:06:08 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

Deacon mark

rank amateur at it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Well Andrew as you mentioned I had to get to 9:30 Mass to be the Deacon and function. I tell you though I do think I must have lost the O ring and I sort of remember that at one time. What CO2 inflator is the best. Seems that Pro Bike Tool sells one that is pretty decent $20 and I can get 10 cartridges? I suppose I should not give up on them but frankly I don't race except I like to ride fast without interruptions and breaks. The CO2 if done correct would be a bit faster. I can build the wheels, build the bike, do all my own maintenance but CO2 is still a learning curve..............who would have thought. But on the other hand I have Shimano road cleats spd-sl and I still sometimes have trouble clipping in smoothly and fiddle with the pedals from a stop.

Deacon mark
Old May 16th 21, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 12:40:16 p.m. UTC-4, Mark cleary wrote:

Deacon mark

I pumped up a fellow's bicycle one time because he had a threaded CO2 cartridge but his inflator used smooth ones.

Whenever I get something new like the first time I got a CO2 inflator, I used it at home to get a feel for how it worked.

I like a decent pump a lot better. My favourite pumps are the Zefal HP or Zefal HPX.

Cheers
Old May 16th 21, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 5/16/2021 4:02 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Deacon mark

I pumped up a fellow's bicycle one time because he had a threaded CO2 cartridge but his inflator used smooth ones.

Whenever I get something new like the first time I got a CO2 inflator, I used it at home to get a feel for how it worked.

I like a decent pump a lot better. My favourite pumps are the Zefal HP or Zefal HPX.

Cheers

Well, yes.
You should see the mangled pumps people bring in from fatal
first use.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 16th 21, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 5:05:18 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Deacon mark

Cheers

Well, yes.
first use.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

For many years back in the 1980s, I had a Zefal HP pump given to me because it fell off the guy's bike and was run over by a car. I got a length of hardwood dowel the same diameter as the inside of the pump, chamfered the end of the dowel a bit and then drove it into the barrel of the pump. That got rid of the crushed area and the pump worked fine for many years afterwards. There aren't too many bicycle pumps you could do that with.

The guys at the bicycle shop were astounded that the pump was repairable.

Cheers
Old May 16th 21, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 12:18:41 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 2:06:08 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

My first confession is I still had one CO2 canister so I loaded it and frankly I must be an idiot. I manage to get some of it in the tire but it seems to leak out somewhere around the fitting/stem as I hold the chuck. No problem got my new Leyzene Road drive out and got it up nicely in a hurry.. Frankly it would be just about as fast with just using the pump.

Deacon mark

rank amateur at it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Well Andrew as you mentioned I had to get to 9:30 Mass to be the Deacon and function. I tell you though I do think I must have lost the O ring and I sort of remember that at one time. What CO2 inflator is the best. Seems that Pro Bike Tool sells one that is pretty decent $20 and I can get 10 cartridges? I suppose I should not give up on them but frankly I don't race except I like to ride fast without interruptions and breaks. The CO2 if done correct would be a bit faster. I can build the wheels, build the bike, do all my own maintenance but CO2 is still a learning curve..............who would have thought. But on the other hand I have Shimano road cleats spd-sl and I still sometimes have trouble clipping in smoothly and fiddle with the pedals from a stop.

Deacon mark

All day today I was having trouble getting into the pedals. I kept kicking the pedals and they would start rotating like a windmill.
Old May 16th 21, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster

On 5/16/2021 2:05 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Well, yes.
You should see the mangled pumps people bring in from fatal first use.

I still have a classic Zefal HP on my classic CroMo road bike. It just
looks so good under the top tube!

I recall an ex-GF telling me about a century ride she was on (Cinderella
Classic I believe). She ran a red light, riding on the shoulder along
the top of a Tee intersection with no cross traffic. A police officer
stopped her and was writing her a ticket. She wasn't responding to his
questions. So for the vehicle description he wrote "10 speed Zefal." I
told her that she should go to court and challenge the ticket based on
the fact that there is no such thing as a "10 speed Zefal."
Old May 16th 21, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.
external usenet poster

On 5/16/2021 2:10 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 5:05:18 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Deacon mark

Cheers

Well, yes.
first use.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

For many years back in the 1980s, I had a Zefal HP pump given to me because it fell off the guy's bike and was run over by a car. I got a length of hardwood dowel the same diameter as the inside of the pump, chamfered the end of the dowel a bit and then drove it into the barrel of the pump. That got rid of the crushed area and the pump worked fine for many years afterwards. There aren't too many bicycle pumps you could do that with.

The guys at the bicycle shop were astounded that the pump was repairable.

Cheers

Yeah, Zefal HP's are pretty bombproof. Once the one mounted on the
bottom tube of our tandem bounced loose and got crunched - but not
punctured - between the crossover chain and chainwheel.

Pounding a carefully chosen (wrench) socket on a long extension down the
barrel got the pump to function again, though the pumping action was a
bit rough . I'm pretty sure I replaced it.

Mark J.