Replacing cartridge bearings on outboard type bottom brackets

Old July 23rd 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Replacing cartridge bearings on outboard type bottom brackets

I have an FSA Mega-Exo crank and bottom bracket on my bike.
The bearings are beginning to sound a bit dodgy on riders, especially
after about two hours of riding. I see lots of companies offering
replacement bearings, in steel and ceramic for these outboards style
bottom brackets.

However, it looks like a special tool is required to remove and
replace the cartridges.
Is this tool absolutely necessary? Has anyone pulled the cartridges
and replaced them with, for example, the bearings available from
Enduro?

I'm pretty comfortable with working on bikes. I used to have the Dura
Ace bottom bracket and thought nothing of pulling it and tearing it
down for an overhaul.

John Rees

Old July 24th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Taylor

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:04:48 -0700, "
wrote:

I have an FSA Mega-Exo crank and bottom bracket on my bike.
The bearings are beginning to sound a bit dodgy on riders, especially
after about two hours of riding. I see lots of companies offering
replacement bearings, in steel and ceramic for these outboards style
bottom brackets.

However, it looks like a special tool is required to remove and
replace the cartridges.
Is this tool absolutely necessary? Has anyone pulled the cartridges
and replaced them with, for example, the bearings available from
Enduro?

You need a spanner to get the cups off, either a Park BBT-9 or one
from the FSA website:
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...id=228&pid=404

Next you have to carefully pry off the bearing covers, which break
easily. If you do break them, buy up a supply at FSA:
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...id=228&pid=398

In order to get the cartridges out of the cups, my tools are low tech:
a wooden vice (in order not to mar the cups), an old 27.2 mm dia.
seatpost and a rubber mallet. Once the cups are snug in the vice
(enough to hold it, but not to deform it), place the seatpost into the
cup, give it a firm whack with the mallet, and the cartridge will pop
out (place a waste basket with a towel in it below the vice to catch
it).

I buy cartridge bearings either on e-bay or direct from a company like
Boca:
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...2&n=*BRK-002RS

The bearings go back into the cups with another whack of the mallet.

All this b.s. is a good reason why the new Trek Madone frame, with it
"integrated bottom bracket" and the ability to install cartridges by
hand directly in the frame, without tools, not to mention cups or any
bb at all, makes a ton of sense.

Old July 24th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
[...]

Yep, let's re-design BB shells to compensate for **** poor BB design
and worse- than-**** poor bearings. Fits right in with other modern
design trends.

Old July 24th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jul 23, 3:04 pm, " wrote:
I have an FSA Mega-Exo crank and bottom bracket on my bike.
The bearings are beginning to sound a bit dodgy on riders, especially
after about two hours of riding. I see lots of companies offering
replacement bearings, in steel and ceramic for these outboards style
bottom brackets.

However, it looks like a special tool is required to remove and
replace the cartridges.
Is this tool absolutely necessary? Has anyone pulled the cartridges
and replaced them with, for example, the bearings available from
Enduro?

I'm pretty comfortable with working on bikes. I used to have the Dura
Ace bottom bracket and thought nothing of pulling it and tearing it
down for an overhaul.

John Rees

Phil Wood makes a toolkit and nice bearings..I don't know of another
tool kit but I'm sure it isn't that tough. FSA bearings are the best
in the world AND don't waste your $ on ceramic..not worth the $
either, IMO.

Old July 24th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

wrote:
[...]

Yep, as long as youi have a outboard bearing type crank...Lots of DA,
Ultegra, Campag, FSA, Truvativ, etc., non outboard bearing cranks
that cannot be installed.

Old July 24th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Jul 24, 7:42 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

snipped

- on BB bearings -

FSA bearings are the best
in the world

??they are??

Old July 24th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Taylor

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:44:32 -0000, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

All this b.s. is a good reason why the new Trek Madone frame, with it
"integrated bottom bracket" and the ability to install cartridges by
hand directly in the frame, without tools, not to mention cups or any
bb at all, makes a ton of sense.

Yep, as long as youi have a outboard bearing type crank...Lots of DA,
Ultegra, Campag, FSA, Truvativ, etc., non outboard bearing cranks
that cannot be installed.

That's a non sequitur. If you have a new Madone, or a new Madone
frame, you have a new crank, which will be outboard bearing. And,
you are not limited to a particular brand.

As to servicing outboard bearing bbs: I posted my low tech version
of removing and installing bearing cartridges from and into the cups.

Enduro sells tools which work better than my feeble jury rigging:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...o_bearing_tool

For a mere $112 I can own this tool:
http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/TL8901

Explain to me again why Trek's innovation of eliminating the cups -
indeed, the bottom bracket - the multiple tools, the hassle, the
expense, the weight for god's sake - is a bad idea?

You install the bearings by hand and the crank with one freaking allen
wrench. Period.

Why would I want any frame which has threads and requires a bottom
bracket, a crankset, and a bunch of tools? Not to mention having to
get the threads faced if I want an outboard bearing crank.

Maybe as a bike shop owner you have a vested interest in preventing us
amateurs from wrenching our own bikes?
Old July 24th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jul 24, 6:03 am, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Jul 24, 7:42 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

snipped

- on BB bearings -

FSA bearings are the best
in the world

??they are??

Gee, and to think I just tossed my FSA ISIS BB because the bearings
would barely turn and sounded like I was crushing a box of cornflakes
when they did. FSA also does not support any non-outboard BB.

Sure, the Madone will not take a standard bottom bracket, which these
days means a standard ISIS or Octalink bottom bracket -- which is a
flawed design with too small bearings that are doomed to failure.
IMO, you either go with square drive, quarter-inch bearing BB or you
go with outboard (or the Madone outboard/inboard approach). -- Jay
Beattie.

Old July 25th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jul 24, 7:03 am, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Jul 24, 7:42 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

snipped

- on BB bearings -

FSA bearings are the best
in the world

??they are??

Oppps, 'aren't' the best, is what i meant...

Old July 25th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

wrote:
All this b.s. is a good reason why the new Trek Madone frame, with it
"integrated bottom bracket" and the ability to install cartridges by
hand directly in the frame, without tools, not to mention cups or any
bb at all, makes a ton of sense.

Yep, as long as youi have a outboard bearing type crank...Lots of DA,
Ultegra, Campag, FSA, Truvativ, etc., non outboard bearing cranks
that cannot be installed.

That's a non sequitur. If you have a new Madone, or a new Madone
frame, you have a new crank, which will be outboard bearing. And,
you are not limited to a particular brand.

Why would that be? No frame only sales??

Enduro sells tools which work better than my feeble jury rigging:http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...s/enduro_beari...

For a mere $112 I can own this tool:http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/TL8901

Explain to me again why Trek's innovation of eliminating the cups -
indeed, the bottom bracket - the multiple tools, the hassle, the
expense, the weight for god's sake - is a bad idea?

Not a fan of anything that takes decsisions away from thew rider.

You install the bearings by hand and the crank with one freaking allen
wrench. Period.

Depends on the crank..many(most) use more than one freaking allen
wrench.

Why would I want any frame which has threads and requires a bottom
bracket, a crankset, and a bunch of tools? Not to mention having to
get the threads faced if I want an outboard bearing crank.

Bunch of tools? Even with a DA 7800 crank there are only 2 needed and
one comes with the crank.

Maybe as a bike shop owner you have a vested interest in preventing us
amateurs from wrenching our own bikes?

I don't like it when a customer wants to do something but the
'industry' makes it hard or impossible to do.
Don't sell Treks, don't want to but it will be a shame when somebody
wants that oberframe, already has a Record carbon crank(square taper-
nice crank) or a Campagnolo triple(nice cranks) but can't use it. It
has nothing to do with ease of maintanence and believe ot or not, most
bike owners/riders prefer to not work on their own bikes.