"After driving a car for a week, I have decided to stick to cycling"

Old April 22nd 16, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default "After driving a car for a week, I have decided to stick to cycling"

Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...4190c4258b4a93
--
Bod
Old April 22nd 16, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Friday, 22 April 2016 10:20:10 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...4190c4258b4a93
--
Bod

Yup - cycled to work for the last 15 years of my job, saved £15000 in fuel and retired fit and healthy.

Must get back into it this summer as I have not even ridden my new bike yet..

Old April 22nd 16, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
skate

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod wrote:

Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...4190c4258b4a93

Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
- the good, the bad and the ugly!

There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
against cyclists and cycling.

Old April 22nd 16, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 22/04/2016 10:28, Alycidon wrote:
On Friday, 22 April 2016 10:20:10 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...4190c4258b4a93
--
Bod

Yup - cycled to work for the last 15 years of my job, saved £15000 in fuel and retired fit and healthy.

Must get back into it this summer as I have not even ridden my new bike yet.

What make and a brief description of it?

--
Bod
Old April 22nd 16, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 22/04/2016 10:54, skate wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod wrote:

Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...4190c4258b4a93

Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
- the good, the bad and the ugly!

There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
against cyclists and cycling.

Yup and the whingers are the usual ones who complain that cyclists don't
pay tax/insurance etc, despite those laws being made by politicians and
not cyclists. Also the moaners refer to *all* cyclists being scum in
their rants, which is obviously not true.
In 60 odd years of cycling and driving I have never encountered any
problems/arguments with either a cyclist or a driver. I can't be the
only one.
--
Bod
Old April 22nd 16, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 22/04/2016 11:28, Alycidon wrote:
On Friday, 22 April 2016 10:20:10 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...4190c4258b4a93
--
Bod

Yup - cycled to work for the last 15 years of my job, saved £15000 in fuel and retired fit and healthy.

Must get back into it this summer as I have not even ridden my new bike yet.

But how much is your pension pot and how valuable is your mansion?
Old April 22nd 16, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 22/04/2016 10:54, skate wrote:

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod wrote:

Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

It is in line with experiences here and eleewhere.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...4190c4258b4a93

Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
- the good, the bad and the ugly!
There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
against cyclists and cycling.

Cyclists are unpopular in all advanced-economy countries. That's as far
as one can tell, of course - the reports do seem to be similar.

This is usually "explained" by cyclists as some sort of fault with other
people.
Old April 22nd 16, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 22/04/2016 11:18, Bod wrote:

On 22/04/2016 10:54, skate wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod wrote:

Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...4190c4258b4a93

Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
- the good, the bad and the ugly!
There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
against cyclists and cycling.

Yup and the whingers are the usual ones who complain that cyclists don't
pay tax/insurance etc, despite those laws being made by politicians and
not cyclists. Also the moaners refer to *all* cyclists being scum in
their rants, which is obviously not true.

I'm not sure that many people are all that bothered about the Road Tax
issue, though in the heat of the moment, it may come to mind as a grievance.

Insurance (or lack of it), road skills (or the lack of them) and the
absence of means of making cyclists accountable for transgressions are
more important.

In 60 odd years of cycling and driving I have never encountered any
problems/arguments with either a cyclist or a driver. I can't be the
only one.

You aren't. But you (with respect) are "old school", brought up to
respect the rights of others and to expect others to respect yours.

Most cyclists are not.

Old April 22nd 16, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 22/04/2016 12:50, JNugent wrote:
On 22/04/2016 11:18, Bod wrote:

[...]

Correct with the old school manners/respect etc.

--
Bod
Old April 22nd 16, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Friday, 22 April 2016 10:54:37 UTC+1, skate wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod wrote:

Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...4190c4258b4a93

Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
- the good, the bad and the ugly!

There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
against cyclists and cycling.

They are like Pavlov's Dogs, aren't they?
Same old tired Daily Fail ignoramus comments from fat, envious middle aged blokes.