The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

Old May 25th 04, 12:17 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

There's one in London (Somers Town) where there have been some truly
horrific attacks on cyclists.

Apparently in Norwich at the weekend, a couple of cyclists were threatened with
knives by louts, on separate occasions...

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old May 25th 04, 01:07 AM
Keith Willoughby

Nathaniel Porter wrote:

"Steve Peake" wrote in message
On 23 May 2004 12:35:07 -0700, bikerider7 wrote:

[Note: I have not been on Blackfriars bridge, and the article seems
quite
vague on the "problem" with this particular cycle lane....]

Scandal of our deadly cycle lanes

Same story was on bbc local news tonight on tv. May be repeated later
after 9 if anyone missed it.

Thanks to the unique way the BBC is funded ;-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/realmedia/news/tvnews.ram

The report in question is at 5:20.

Note this will be updated around 22:45 with the 10 o'clock bulletin.

Good report, I think. Good ole' BBC.

Mae bys Mari-Ann wedi brifo
Old May 25th 04, 08:47 AM
Steve Peake

On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:04:01 +0100, Nathaniel Porter wrote:

Thanks to the unique way the BBC is funded ;-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/realmedia/news/tvnews.ram

I was looking for that, I knew it must be there somewhere!

Steve
Old May 25th 04, 09:00 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/realmedia/news/tvnews.ram

I was looking for that, I knew it must be there somewhere!

Steve

Having viewed the report - the lane is similar to one in Norwich, which has
been around for quite a time now. On this bit of road between two roundabouts
here...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...sv=622250,3082
50&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf &dn=707

or

http://tinyurl.com/26g29

I've never cycled on it, but I remember the first time I saw it when I was in
the car and thinking, "What a bloody stupid place to put a narrow cycle lane,
between two relatively narrow lanes of traffic who can both undertake you and
overtake you."

If I were to cycle that stretch of tarmac I would *not* be using it, which
would no doubt be leading to the usual derisory comments from motorists :-(

I honestly believe no traffic engineer should be allowed anywhere near
designing cycle facilities until he or she has used a pedal cycle as their
*only* form of transport for a minimum of a year, in all weathers... and then
they should have to spend at least six months of the year where the bike is

Old May 25th 04, 09:01 AM
Peter Clinch

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Oooh! Where? Where? ;-)

Guardbridge to St. Andrews. No turns off a few miles where the only
alternative is a single carriageway A road with lots of bends, so you
end up causing a procession which isn't any fun for anyone. A good
example of the sort of place a cycle track works well. Similarly up the
A9, which has several miles between turnoffs.

Unusual, but they do exist.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old May 25th 04, 09:32 AM
Dave Larrington

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:29:11 +0100, Peter Tillotson
wrote in message
:

Cycle lanes also have the irritating habit of stoping at every road
junction. I don't mind cycle lanes, as long as they are well designed
and recognise that cyclist like to maintain momentum.

Oooh! Where? Where? ;-)

Found some good ones either side of Easter.

Alongside the canals in Belgium...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old May 25th 04, 09:34 AM
John Hearns

On Tue, 25 May 2004 08:00:48 +0000, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
wrote:

I honestly believe no traffic engineer should be allowed anywhere near
designing cycle facilities until he or she has used a pedal cycle as their
*only* form of transport for a minimum of a year, in all weathers... and then
they should have to spend at least six months of the year where the bike is
their only form of transport...

I agree.
quite often people say that architects should live in their own houses.
(If I'm not wrong Erno Goldfinger lived in Trellick Tower?)

Anyway, the traffic engineers should at least be made to ride bicycles
along the roads they design.
Old May 25th 04, 09:37 AM
Dave Larrington

Is it my imagination, or has that bus lane only been added recently? I go
over Blackfriars Bridge if I have cause to allow Darth Stuart to relieve me
of some of my hard-earned, and don't remember seeing it before...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old May 25th 04, 10:35 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , David Arditti
') wrote:
If we take this kind of thing, quoted by Patrick Herring in this
thread:
Traffic safety of cycle tracks in Danish cities.
Before and after study of 105 new cycle paths in Denmark, introduced
1978-81, totalling 64km. Cyclist casualties increased 48% following
introduction of paths.

one kind of wonders why all the cyclists in Denmark and The
Netherlands have not been wiped out by now, since they have both
continued to built more segregated tracks since then.

People who hold this view need to explain why these localised studies,
if correct, seem so out of kilter with the overall national statistics
of cycling deaths and injuries. Why is it so safe in Denmark and The
Netherlands in reality?

That one is easy. Because it used to be very very safe, but since the
introduction of separate facilities it is merely very safe. The
absolute numbers may be lower than in Britain, but the trends may not
be.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"
Old May 25th 04, 10:35 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Just zis Guy,
you know? ') wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:17:41 +0100, David Arditti
wrote in message
:

Effective networks of cycle tracks encourage a much larger section of
the population to cycle than we generally see on two wheels in the UK.

Evidence? Edinburgh spent large sums and the number of utility
cyclists apparently dropped.

Cite, please? I don't disbelieve you but would like to be able to quote
this.

;; all in all you're just another click in the call
;; -- Minke Bouyed