WTB: FS MTB, I've got $2500 to spend... Heckler?

Old September 20th 03, 07:41 AM
HKEK

Default WTB: FS MTB, I've got $2500 to spend... Heckler?

What are some of the better mountain bikes to consider in this price
range?

I am looking for something lightweight for part time XC and climbing,
but durable enough for free riding, i.e., climbing up over rocks,
doing small drops (~3 ft), and generally blasting through rocky/rooty
descents.

I'm currently looking at a Santa Cruz Heckler with a 5th Element Coil
and Fox TALAS RLC fork. What else should I consider before putting my
$ on the Heckler.

Old September 21st 03, 02:50 AM
HKEK

I started out looking at the Slayer (plus a demo ride on single track)
but heard about some problems with the pivots, and that is the kind of
problem that I am having with my current 4-bar linkage suspension.

I am looking for a robust frame the will require minimal maintenance
from ride to ride and over the years. Although I like the Slayer's
traditional bicycle frame configuration/appearance, i.e., a main
triangle and a rear triangle, I would welcome a "lowered" top tube
design that is of benefit in panic stops (and remounting) along steep
or off-camber trails. Understandably, as the suspension travel
increases, the step-over height also tends to increase (for a fixed
frame configuration).

(TJ Poseno) wrote in message . com...
(HKEK) wrote in message m...
What are some of the better mountain bikes to consider in this price
range?

I am looking for something lightweight for part time XC and climbing,
but durable enough for free riding, i.e., climbing up over rocks,
doing small drops (~3 ft), and generally blasting through rocky/rooty
descents.

I'm currently looking at a Santa Cruz Heckler with a 5th Element Coil
and Fox TALAS RLC fork. What else should I consider before putting my
$ on the Heckler.

ID check out the Rocky Mountain Slayer, it is awesome, a more
downhilish fork, but with lockouts, and hydraulic disks. Its an
awesome bike. Also the Rocky Mountian Instinct, it has less travel
though. But XTR components.

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/

Old September 22nd 03, 02:23 PM
Michael Dart

Default FS MTB, I've got $2500 to spend... Heckler?

"HKEK" wrote in message
What are some of the better mountain bikes to consider in this price
range?

I am looking for something lightweight for part time XC and climbing,
but durable enough for free riding, i.e., climbing up over rocks,
doing small drops (~3 ft), and generally blasting through rocky/rooty
descents.

I'm currently looking at a Santa Cruz Heckler with a 5th Element Coil
and Fox TALAS RLC fork. What else should I consider before putting my
$ on the Heckler.

My friend just built up a Heckler with a 5th Element Air and a Fox Talas
Fork. It is about 28lbs (med frame). He is very happy with the way the
bike pedals and the ride is like "a mini Bullit" (Which he also owns as a
light DH bike). The Fox Talas fork is adjustable from 80 to 125mm with the
turn of a knob and is a perfect balance to the bike. I say go for it. It
can do all you want it to.

Mike