my paddles are stuck and I can't unscrew them off so I can put new paddles on.

Old September 5th 03, 04:45 PM
wanglu

Default my paddles are stuck and I can't unscrew them off so I can put new paddles on.

Dear all:

I have a beloved BMX type old bike that I take to work everyday.
You can see it at http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index...91190&size=big
.. It is the bike in the picture.

I dropped it the other day and the paddle is bent. I have been
trying to get it off. From what I read, the right paddle is right
threaded (so it is just like a screw) and the left one is left hand
threaded.

The paddle I am trying to take off is the right paddle. I read
that you should have the paddle forward (ie the crank should be
parallel to the ground and pointing to the front of the bike). Then
apply wrench (handle of the wrench should be toward the rear of bike)
to the paddle and push down on the wrench. This should loosen the
paddle.

I tried it with a crescent wrench and I nearly rounded off the
head of the bolt and couldn't get the paddle to budge one bit.

What should I do? I really love the bike and want to use it to
get to work everyday. I live on an air force base and biking is the
perfect transportation (see
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index...91190&size=big ). Do
you think a bike shop would be my next step? Will they be able to
help me take the old rusted paddle off?

please help. I really need it.

Old September 5th 03, 07:35 PM
John David Powers

wanglu wrote:

I tried it with a crescent wrench and I nearly rounded off the
head of the bolt and couldn't get the paddle to budge one bit.

First thing you should do is get a pedal wrench or an open ended wrench
that fits snugly on the flat spots of the pedal bolt thingy. Using a
crescent wrench on a tight bolt is a good way to round it off and it
usually doesn't fit between the pedal cage and crank arm very well.
Spray some penetrating oil on both sides of the crank and let it sit for
a few hours. Double check that you are turning the right direction.
Sometimes I'll use the crank arm for leverage on a tight bolt. I
position the wrench so that it's just a few degrees in front of the
crank arm and use both hands to squeeze the two together.