Any Michelin style maps for US?

Old August 31st 04, 08:05 PM
Jacques Moser

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
I have used the Michelin maps of France for cycling
there, and I was wondering if any maps of that style
exist for parts of the US. Maps that show approximate
traffic volume (heavy, moderate, light), whether road is
paved or not, and steepness of hills, and at a useful
scale for biking (1:200,000). Anything like that?

I like the detail found on the Michelin maps, but trying to read them with
48-year-old eyes... that's another thing entirely. I find they cram too
much into too small an area for my taste. I did find a way around that on
my most-recent trip to France though. I had a small PDA (Dell Axim X30)
that's got a pretty decent screen and is very light, so I took digital
photos of the maps and put them onto the PDA. With the ability to blow
enlarge them, they became amazingly more readable.

But no, there are no widely-available maps like that in the US. You may
find locally-produced maps with that sort of information though; Krebs, for
example, produces such maps for cyclists and covers many areas of Northern
California.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Bill" wrote in message
news
I have used the Michelin maps of France for cycling
there, and I was wondering if any maps of that style
exist for parts of the US. Maps that show approximate
traffic volume (heavy, moderate, light), whether road is
paved or not, and steepness of hills, and at a useful
scale for biking (1:200,000). Anything like that?

Bill

This level of detail is what makes Michelin maps such good maps ! I
almost never got lost with a 1:200'000 Michelin, although it covers an
area wide enough to cycle several days. But for your old eyes (mines
will follow soon...), they now make enlarged versions at scale
1:130'000. No more details, but everything is just bigger.

Jacques