Tube shortage supposed to ease in September.

Old August 18th 20, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Tube shortage supposed to ease in September.

On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 12:00:55 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 4:01:46 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

BIKE RELATED CONTENT! Is that Slime glue any good compared to Rema fluid? It is supposed to be a cold vulcanizing fluid labeled as rubber cement, or so I'm told. It's cheap -- and there are some other cold vulcanizing fluids that aren't as expensive as Rema. Is anyone using an off-brand?

-- Jay Beattie.

Wow is it so bad that you have cut back on rubber cement? How much do you use? One or two small tubes a year? Getting cheaper ones will save you a lot ;-)

Lou

I was going to get an 8oz can for bulk tube repairs. I can handle the price difference, but Slime is also easier to get locally, as are other rubber cements.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 18th 20, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 10:30:05 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 12:00:55 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 4:01:46 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

BIKE RELATED CONTENT! Is that Slime glue any good compared to Rema fluid? It is supposed to be a cold vulcanizing fluid labeled as rubber cement, or so I'm told. It's cheap -- and there are some other cold vulcanizing fluids that aren't as expensive as Rema. Is anyone using an off-brand?

-- Jay Beattie.

Wow is it so bad that you have cut back on rubber cement? How much do you use? One or two small tubes a year? Getting cheaper ones will save you a lot ;-)

Lou

I was going to get an 8oz can for bulk tube repairs. I can handle the price difference, but Slime is also easier to get locally, as are other rubber cements.

-- Jay Beattie.

Okay... I don't think that in my whole cycling 'career' I used 236 ml rubber cement. I converted Mickey Mouse units into grown up units.

Lou
Old August 19th 20, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 13:30:00 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 12:00:55 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 4:01:46 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

BIKE RELATED CONTENT! Is that Slime glue any good compared to Rema fluid? It is supposed to be a cold vulcanizing fluid labeled as rubber cement, or so I'm told. It's cheap -- and there are some other cold vulcanizing fluids that aren't as expensive as Rema. Is anyone using an off-brand?

-- Jay Beattie.

Wow is it so bad that you have cut back on rubber cement? How much do you use? One or two small tubes a year? Getting cheaper ones will save you a lot ;-)

Lou

I was going to get an 8oz can for bulk tube repairs. I can handle the price difference, but Slime is also easier to get locally, as are other rubber cements.

-- Jay Beattie.

My experience with large cans of "rubber cement" has been that almost
without fail by the second time I need some it has almost solidified
and I have to go and buy another can. So I have confined myself to
using smaller containers - small tubes - and use one and then throw it
away and thus always have a freshly opened batch when I come to use
it.

Are you busting tubes so frequently that you have to repair them "in
bulk" or are you embarking on a new career?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 19th 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

We just use the small Rema cement from a Rema kit when a
patch is necessary[1] Always fresh.

The header 'tube shortage' is more apt than you know. I
needed eight feet of one inch tube and gave up after a
couple of days' search. I even checked with our aircraft
CrMo tube supplier in Kansas. Zip. None to be had. Ended up
using a piece of one inch solid coldroll which worked for
the (not bicycle) project and only $20 more,

[1] When I was young and patched two dozen tubes a day,
every day, tubes were $2 and a mechanic was $1.20 per hour.
SV tubes are $4.95 now and mechanics are very expensive.
Even the 250ml Tech cement we used then would dry out before
we used it now as we only patch things which cannot be
replaced, maybe 6~8 patches per year in the shop.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 19th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/18/2020 8:34 PM, AMuzi wrote:

The header 'tube shortage' is more apt than you know. I needed eight
feet of one inch tube and gave up after a couple of days' search. I even
checked with our aircraft CrMo tube supplier in Kansas. Zip. None to be
had. Ended up using a piece of one inch solid coldroll which worked for
the (not bicycle) project and only $20 more,

McMaster-Carr seems to have plenty in six foot lengths, various gages
and strengths. For example:
https://www.mcmaster.com/7767T151/

I'd think you could easily weld or braze them for more length. Am I
missing something?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 19th 20, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/18/2020 8:16 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/18/2020 8:34 PM, AMuzi wrote:

The header 'tube shortage' is more apt than you know. I
needed eight feet of one inch tube and gave up after a
couple of days' search. I even checked with our aircraft
CrMo tube supplier in Kansas. Zip. None to be had. Ended
up using a piece of one inch solid coldroll which worked
for the (not bicycle) project and only $20 more,

McMaster-Carr seems to have plenty in six foot lengths,
various gages and strengths. For example:
https://www.mcmaster.com/7767T151/

I'd think you could easily weld or braze them for more
length. Am I missing something?

Possible but 'just one more problem'.

An 8' coldroll at a steel yard 20 minutes away added $20 and
I couldn't sleeve and splice it for that.

Old August 19th 20, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Wow! Do you just toss tubes or do they go to adoptive homes?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 19th 20, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

We plce them carefully in the 'adopt a tube' pile until they
go to the recycling center.

Old August 19th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/18/2020 9:44 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/18/2020 8:16 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/18/2020 8:34 PM, AMuzi wrote:

The header 'tube shortage' is more apt than you know. I
needed eight feet of one inch tube and gave up after a
couple of days' search. I even checked with our aircraft
CrMo tube supplier in Kansas. Zip. None to be had. Ended
up using a piece of one inch solid coldroll which worked
for the (not bicycle) project and only $20 more,

McMaster-Carr seems to have plenty in six foot lengths,
various gages and strengths. For example:
https://www.mcmaster.com/7767T151/

I'd think you could easily weld or braze them for more
length. Am I missing something?

Possible but 'just one more problem'.

An 8' coldroll at a steel yard 20 minutes away added $20 and I couldn't
sleeve and splice it for that.

I don't doubt your cold rolled bar worked for you. I was just addressing
the "none to be had" comment.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 19th 20, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 12:11:09 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

But did the guy try a bicycle tube seller?
--

Cheers,

John B.

He flies through the air with the greatest of ease [email protected] UK 4 February 28th 18 03:57 PM
20" 406 Tube Shortage sms Techniques 2 June 26th 16 07:17 AM
Earn Up To 100's of $ per Day with Ease! clinton General 0 October 30th 07 02:19 PM
Minor hit from vehicle, anyone know how true/round is a head-tube supposed to be? Pete Grey Techniques 4 August 9th 07 09:20 PM
Ease traffic congestion - ban cycles! vernon.levy UK 2 January 1st 04 11:46 AM