What BC wheel skills to learn, and in what order?

Old November 4th 05, 01:10 AM
TheBadger587

Default What BC wheel skills to learn, and in what order?

Hey (I'm back!)

If you don't want to read the background info skip to the questions--no
big deal.
My buddies and I are getting into unicycling again, and we're also
learning to BC (impossible) wheel. We're semi-solid unicyclists, and
when learning to BC wheel we're getting some flashbacks(warning signs)
from the days when we were first learning to unicycle. Currently our BC
wheeling goes like this: push off from in between two big plastic trash
cans, ride either 5 feet(push goes wrong) or until knocked off by a
balance upset or speed-wobbles. (for what it's worth, we're riding 20"
Yuni impossible wheels with tire pressures set from 40-60psi)

When we learned to unicycle we would start in hallways, using the sides
of the walls for balance. starting like this made it take us much
longer to learn to ride, and self mount.

Trick progression: the BC skills i've seen (from watching Ryan
Atkins/Jeff Groves' old BC movies, U2, defect) are, in no particular
order;
1.riding 2.turning 3. hopping/dropping 4. rolling mount
5.frontspin/backspin 6. backwards 7. foot-push mount (from JG's
section in Defect.) 8. grinding 9. riding shifting skatepark
style inclines.

So, with that background information given, here's...

QUESTIONS.
1. How much of a cruch is it to learn to ride before learning how to
mount, how soon after learning to ride did you rolling mount, etc.

2. How much harder is foot-push mounting a BC wheel than roll-mounting
a BC wheel. Any tips?

3. When is it appropriate to start working on new skills, and in what
order did you learn skills? obviously big drops and frontspins are
insane top-tier skills, but are there any "tells" in BC wheeling? For
example, when you can hop forever on a uni, it's kind of a "tell" that
you should learn to idle. If you're in the mood, rank the difficulty of
BC skills, or whatever.

4. Is there any place online where this has already been answered?

I'm in the dark completely about how to master these tricky little
rides. There's no U-level difficulty for BC wheeling, and before i
discovered that skill chart, i was completely in the dark on how to get
better at unicycling. So that's why I'm posting this. Surely more
people are gonna be riding these after seeing the possibilities from
Defect.

--
TheBadger587

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

Old November 4th 05, 02:02 AM
markf

i'm still a noob at the BC but, i can go ~30 feet across the gym after a
jump mount. i think it's easier to learn that way. just go for it.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Old November 4th 05, 02:20 AM
Evan Byrne

Psh, Front and back spins are as hard, if not harder than coasting a
uni, AKa its very hard, i vbeen working for aobut 5 weeks on 180s/spins
and they are hard.

the skate mount is no harder for a begginer to learn than the rolling
mount, the rolling mount may get a begginer farther because its easyer
to get goign fast. when learning the skate mount think about it like
hoping on one foot.

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

Old November 4th 05, 02:44 AM
litldude2

Ya, i think you should just learn the skate mount right away. Its not
hard and you can get your feet exactly where you want them where as in
a jump mount you just kinda land on them and its harder to get
positioned. If you want to see some basic tricks you can watch my
really old bc movies. Here are links: http://tinyurl.com/dayb6 and
http://tinyurl.com/asqds i think Evans more recent movies are alot
better but the stuff in mine is good for beginners to get ideas from.

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com