Done in 38 seconds

Old January 11th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Done in 38 seconds

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4601544.stm
Four hour speed blitz clocks 400
A single speed camera caught nearly 400 speeders in just four hours,
clocking up more than £5,000 an hour in fines.

The mobile speed camera was placed on the A11 outside Norwich, where
major road works are underway.

Workmen had complained about drivers ignoring the 30mph speed limit on
the approach to the Thickthorn roundabout.

If the 381 drivers seen speeding on Monday and Tuesday were prosecuted,
the camera would generate £22,860 - a rate of £5,715 an hour - in fines.

John Fairey, manager of the Norfolk Casualty Reduction Partnership, said
he believes more speeding drivers slipped through the net while the
camera was trained on someone else.

He said: "It's disappointing. We are there purely for the safety of the
workforce. Please slow down. If you don't you will be caught.

"The workmen are going to be working in and close to the carriageways
and the contractors asked the constabulary for some help with some
enforcement to slow traffic down.

"Hopefully people will see us and get the message."

Thats one every 38 seconds!!!

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old January 11th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven wrote:
snip

Thats one every 38 seconds!!!

You're not taking the quest for the "one car per hour A road" very
seriously, are you... ;-)

--
JimP
Old January 12th 06, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Jim Price wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
snip

Thats one every 38 seconds!!!

You're not taking the quest for the "one car per hour A road" very
seriously, are you... ;-)

I got close tonight. I was going to stay in and wash my bike but the
weather, albeit a little blustery, was clear - just the odd cloud
scudding frantically across the sky. So I went for a ride.

Last time I did this circuit was probably august last year. It is 35km
and includes a good bit of climbing (over 10m/km) with half of it flat.
Anyhow, out past the hospital, along the flat bit by the Tay and had to
wait at the level crossing for two trains. Up towards longforgan.
Hardly noticed the rise which is a good omen given my state of fitness
(or lack thereof). Noticed a patch or two of frost. The road follows a
drainage ditch across the flat.
Up the Knapp. Patches of frost. It is a narrow river valley. Clear
night, wind, runnng water and the shape means frost if the dundee air
temp is below about 5C. Gingerly round some corners but no major
trouble (why is the frost always on the downhill?)
Up to Tullybaccart. This did start to get a bit muddy and icy, span the
rear wheel a couple of times. So far not seen a single car on the road
(but it's not an A road). Stopped briefly to put new batteries in my
rear pet glowworm and then up past Ledyatt. The road is now an A road,
single carriageway. I am holding the primary position for 2 reasons.
The first is the cross wind. The second is the LED light is almost
exactly balanced by the light from the full moon, which flattens out
all the texture and makes road features really hard to distinguish.
Sufficiently bright lights but zero contrast. Wierd. And a vehicle
comes up behind me. There is room to squeeze by but it is potentially
icy, the road twists a bit and there is the odd car or two coming the
other way (infrequently but around 1 a minute on ave). He waits behind
(I am doing 25ish - it is downhill even with the cross wind) for over 2
miles despite reasonable passing opportunities until we get to a point
where there is a central right turn lane at the entrance to piperdam. I
wave, he toots and flashes indicators in acknowledgement -- I am
gobsmacked as it was an RAC van. Kudos.

Anyhow, nice ride - 23.5 kph average over 35 km. Last time I did it was
2.5kph faster but very pleased for this time of year.

...d

Old January 12th 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4601544.stm
Four hour speed blitz clocks 400
A single speed camera caught nearly 400 speeders in just four hours,
clocking up more than £5,000 an hour in fines.

The mobile speed camera was placed on the A11 outside Norwich, where major
road works are underway.

And guess what... who has jumped on the bandwagon to defend those poor
put-upon souls who were caught out breaking the speed limit & endangering
lives (on the road where Zak Carr was killed), yes, you've got it in one!

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED11%20Jan%202006% 2021%3A37%3A53%3A410

"Speed camera group 'destroying respect'"

I get so damn angry when he gets this sort of publicity.

Cheers, helen s

Old January 12th 06, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven wrote:

He said: "It's disappointing. We are there purely for the safety of the
workforce. Please slow down. If you don't you will be caught.

"The workmen are going to be working in and close to the carriageways
and the contractors asked the constabulary for some help with some
enforcement to slow traffic down.

"Hopefully people will see us and get the message."

Maybe if they reciprocated and removed the speed limits when not at
work, they might get more respect.

I always try to obey the speed limit, but when you get motorways or dual
carriageways with 40mph limits due to roadworks, but a completely clear
road as the works have been cleared away for the weekend - aargh!

It's that sort of behaviour that dilutes the message they're trying to
get across.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
Old January 12th 06, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven wrote:
[...]

WHat ****ed me off about that report was the fact that the BBC seemed
to focus on the fnes rather than the fact that people were breaking
speed limits and scaring the workmen.

Old January 12th 06, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mark Tranchant wrote:

I always try to obey the speed limit, but when you get motorways or dual
carriageways with 40mph limits due to roadworks, but a completely clear
road as the works have been cleared away for the weekend - aargh!

The current alternative is for the signs to be removed or obscured on a
Friday night and re-instated on a Monday morning. Some of the signs are
in the central reservation. This involves either a crawling vehicle
in the third lane for several miles upstream, or a crawling vehicle in
the hard shoulder for several miles upstream and some poor sod sprinting
across three lanes of traffic out and back. Once on a Friday night,
potentially in the dark, and once on a Monday morning, potentially in
the dark. Doesn't strike me as terrible safe, not when the alternative
is people doing 40 mph (yeah, right) for a couple of miles which adds,
oooh, a massive one minute 20 seconds to a 40 mile all motorway journey.

R.
Old January 12th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MSeries wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4601544.stm

[...]
WHat ****ed me off about that report was the fact that the BBC seemed
to focus on the fnes rather than the fact that people were breaking
speed limits and scaring the workmen.

Maybe they think motorists are more likely to care about being fined
than about the safety of the workforce, so focusing on the fines is
more likely to improve their behaviour (and the safety of the workmen).
Old January 12th 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4601544.stm

[snipped article about speed cameras placed purportedly to protect road
works]

In what way is this relevant in a cycling group?

--
Matt B
Old January 12th 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MSeries wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4601544.stm

WHat ****ed me off about that report was the fact that the BBC seemed
to focus on the fnes rather than the fact that people were breaking
speed limits and scaring the workmen.

They could also have mentioned the TRL report (TRL595?) which found
that, on motorways at least, road works did not increase the likelihood
of personal injury accidents (PIAs), and that speed cameras did not
affect the number of PIAs.

--
Matt B