darwinism in action

Old July 21st 10, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default darwinism in action

when will cycles be regulated properly? they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupid
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20... ights_on_bike

Old July 21st 10, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_2_]

Default process whereby carelessness brings about tragedy in action

Mrcheerful wrote:
when will cycles be regulated properly? they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupid
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20... ights_on_bike

Yes, let's get a law introduced making the use of lights on a bicycle
during hours of darkness compulsory.
Write to your MP immediately.

--
Roger Thorpe

....Wait a minute, It's stopped raining/
Guys are swimming, guys are sailing.....
Old July 21st 10, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Roger Thorpe wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
when will cycles be regulated properly? they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupid
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20... ights_on_bike

Yes, let's get a law introduced making the use of lights on a bicycle
during hours of darkness compulsory.
Write to your MP immediately.

From your comment I take it that you are a pure cyclist?

let us get the laws that already exist used, at present it is impossible to
find out who the bikes belong to. So in the absence of ID the bikes should
be confiscated on the spot if they are being used in an illegal way, such as
no lights, red light jumping, pavement cycling, etc.

Old July 21st 10, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Jul 21, 9:40*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
when will cycles be regulated properly? *they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupidhttp://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2074402_cyclist_killed_in_latenight...

Unfortunately you see about three cyclists riding at night with no
lights at all to every one who has them. I came close to colliding
with two unlit cyclists on dark nights in my car last year. I think
the flashing LED type lights are the best from a motorist's point of
view, preferably with solid lights as well, as they clearly identify
the vehicle as being a pedal cycle. Also they need to be properly
mounted on the frame, not hanging from clothing, where then can be
obscured by a crease. I recently followed a cyclist with a single
flashing light attached to his right shoulder, pointing outwards.
Problem was that you couldn't see it until you were actually
overtaking him, by which time it might have been too late to avoid a
collision!

Derek
Old July 21st 10, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_2_]

Mrcheerful wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
when will cycles be regulated properly? they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupid
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20... ights_on_bike

Yes, let's get a law introduced making the use of lights on a bicycle
during hours of darkness compulsory.
Write to your MP immediately.

From your comment I take it that you are a pure cyclist?

I'm not sure what you mean by pure. I don't think that I am in any fit
state to take communion.

let us get the laws that already exist used, at present it is impossible to
find out who the bikes belong to. So in the absence of ID the bikes should
be confiscated on the spot if they are being used in an illegal way, such as
no lights, red light jumping, pavement cycling, etc.

I wouldn't object if these laws were enforced a bit more often. But I
don't think that identification is key to enforcement in these cases any
more than it is for shoplifting.

Old July 21st 10, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
Roger Thorpe wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
when will cycles be regulated properly? they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupid
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20... ights_on_bike

Yes, let's get a law introduced making the use of lights on a bicycle
during hours of darkness compulsory.
Write to your MP immediately.

From your comment I take it that you are a pure cyclist?

let us get the laws that already exist used, at present it is impossible
to find out who the bikes belong to. So in the absence of ID the bikes
should be confiscated on the spot if they are being used in an illegal
way, such as no lights, red light jumping, pavement cycling, etc.

While I agree with Mr Cheerful's sentiment here, it seems to me better to
clamp down on the motorists who cause the danger to cyclists, than to clamp
down on the relatively small number of cyclists who suffer injury from the
actions of their own stupidity.

I get the impression that Mr Cheerful has some kind of axe to grind (in a
TMH kind of way) against cyclists.

It would be considered absurd to confiscate a car because the driver had no
lights on, jumped a red light, or put their wheels on the pavement, so why
would this action be acceptable against cyclists? Other than some bizarre
dislike of cyclists...

If you did regulate cyclists there would be less numpties cycling. But on
the other hand, the cyclists on the roads are more likely to be riding in a
proper manner, which going from some of the comments on this group, is what
****es of drivers the most. Hogging the road, blocking bad overtakes etc.

Be careful Mr Cheerful of what you wish for...

Old July 21st 10, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_4_]

"Roger Thorpe" wrote in message
Mrcheerful wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
when will cycles be regulated properly? they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupid
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20... ights_on_bike

Yes, let's get a law introduced making the use of lights on a bicycle
during hours of darkness compulsory.
Write to your MP immediately.

From your comment I take it that you are a pure cyclist?

I'm not sure what you mean by pure. I don't think that I am in any fit
state to take communion.

It's a Doug Bollen term. A cyclist who does not also use a car.

Old July 21st 10, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_2_]

Mrcheerful wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
when will cycles be regulated properly? they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupid
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20... ights_on_bike

Yes, let's get a law introduced making the use of lights on a bicycle
during hours of darkness compulsory.
Write to your MP immediately.

From your comment I take it that you are a pure cyclist?

I'm not sure what you mean by pure. I don't think that I am in any fit
state to take communion.

It's a Doug Bollen term. A cyclist who does not also use a car.

In that case I have a purity that exceeds the Bollen Standard.

Old July 21st 10, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

On 21/07/10 10:15, Derek C wrote:
[...]

Istr that it mandated for bikes sold in Germany to have dynamo lights fitted at
the point of sale. Although this obviously wouldn't cure the problem, I reckon
it would help an awful lot.
Old July 21st 10, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

Mrcheerful wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
when will cycles be regulated properly? they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupid
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20... ights_on_bike

Yes, let's get a law introduced making the use of lights on a bicycle
during hours of darkness compulsory.
Write to your MP immediately.

From your comment I take it that you are a pure cyclist?

I'm not sure what you mean by pure. I don't think that I am in any fit
state to take communion.

It's a Doug Bollen term. A cyclist who does not also use a car.

That's a rare breed. I did a quick straw poll here a while back and there was
only one. Everybody else either had a car, or easy access to one (including
hire). I mean, I've not owned a car in 20 years, but I still get a 1,000 or so
miles in with hire cars. This is where Doug is so wrong, cars *are* useful, but
you don't need one to carry little Jossandra Tuckberry 500 yards to school! Or
if you do, don't complain about traffic density.

Trebon's Nat Crash - darwinism ? [email protected] Racing 0 December 24th 07 11:00 AM
New action game (Do you like action?) Akrostis UK 0 October 11th 07 11:00 AM
Out of action coolrhys Unicycling 8 March 17th 07 01:38 AM
Out of Action Gags Australia 15 March 21st 06 12:04 AM
FS See this in action magilla gorilla Marketplace 0 December 2nd 05 04:37 AM