Racing bike for son - any shops have stock?

Old May 2nd 04, 10:34 PM
Paul Reading

Default Racing bike for son - any shops have stock?

I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my son but cannot find
a shop selling them. I bought two for his brothers but now he needs one too.
All my sons have mountain bikes and all refuse to ride them, they are to
much like hard work. I feel very sorry for most kids as they have lost the
pleasure and freedom that we enjoyed as kids with our light weight fast
bikes. Today kids seem to have no choice.

Old May 2nd 04, 11:02 PM
Doki

Paul Reading wrote:
I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my son but
cannot find a shop selling them. I bought two for his brothers but
now he needs one too. All my sons have mountain bikes and all refuse
to ride them, they are to much like hard work. I feel very sorry for
most kids as they have lost the pleasure and freedom that we enjoyed
as kids with our light weight fast bikes. Today kids seem to have no
choice.

I assume you've been looking in Halfords? All the decent bike shops round
here have some lightweights / road bikes in. FWIW, mountain bikes can be
made a fair bit easier to ride if you pick something fairly light, without
front suspension if possible, and fit it with slick tyres.

Old May 3rd 04, 08:00 AM
Paul

Quite a few Triathlon bikes have an option for 650cc wheels. You could habe
a look in 220 Triathlon magazine or try calling www.triandrun.co.uk

This is probably a very expensive way to but a kids bike though. It would
probably be cheaper to get someone to custom make a steel frame for you.
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/ have a good reputation.

HTH

Paul F

---

Old May 3rd 04, 08:40 AM
Doki

Paul Reading wrote:
On 2/5/04 11:02 pm, in article
, "Doki"
wrote:

Paul Reading wrote:
I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my son but
cannot find a shop selling them. I bought two for his brothers but
now he needs one too. All my sons have mountain bikes and all refuse
to ride them, they are to much like hard work. I feel very sorry for
most kids as they have lost the pleasure and freedom that we enjoyed
as kids with our light weight fast bikes. Today kids seem to have no
choice.

I assume you've been looking in Halfords? All the decent bike shops
round here have some lightweights / road bikes in. FWIW, mountain
bikes can be made a fair bit easier to ride if you pick something
fairly light, without front suspension if possible, and fit it with
slick tyres.

I don't want a mountain bike and where is here? Can you recommend a
shop? And of course I haven't been looking in Hal fords. The last
boys racing bike I bought was a Trek KDR1000 cost £550 and I had to
import it myself as Trek refused to do so.

I don't know much about racers as I'm a MTB bod myself. I've only ever heard
of 700CC wheels, are 650CC wheels unusual? Anyway, Eddison's Lightweights in
Clowne (nearest city is Sheffield if you're wondering where it is) build
their own frames so should certainly be able to sort you out with something,
and the bloke who runs the place seems a decent sort. Freewheel in
Nottingham had a few road bikes in though I think they were mainly over the
grand mark, but mainly have MTBs, BMXs and Hybrids.

Old May 3rd 04, 08:50 AM
John Hearns

On Sun, 02 May 2004 22:34:03 +0100, Paul Reading wrote:

I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my son but cannot find

I saw a lovely child's bike in the window of
Condor (Gray's Inn Road, London).
Proper road bike, but with small frame and wheels.
Old May 3rd 04, 11:30 AM
MartinM

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Quite a few Triathlon bikes have an option for 650cc wheels. You could habe
a look in 220 Triathlon magazine or try calling www.triandrun.co.uk

This is probably a very expensive way to but a kids bike though. It would
probably be cheaper to get someone to custom make a steel frame for you.
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/ have a good reputation.

I'm sure I saw a whole bike in Evans Gatwick; haven't seen it in any
other of their shops.
Old May 3rd 04, 03:13 PM
Dave Chadderton

Dave Hinde at Northwich in cheshire used to make 650 wheel bikes for kids
that were superb, he has a web site www.davehinde.co.uk . I have just
checked and there is no mention, but the link to off the peg bikes does not
seem to be working so it may be worth giving him a call.
I am also a parent and part of a family based cycling club, so I appreciate
exactly what you are going through. The last couple of members who bought
the same type of bike bought one from Decathlon in Stockport which was
reasonably priced and the other bought a Bianchi from the Bike Factory at
Chester. The Bianchi was a fantastic little bike built with Italian type
quality and a perfectly scaled down lightweight racing bike, even down to
tubular tyres, but it was not cheap.

Happy searching.......Dave

Old May 3rd 04, 04:25 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my son but cannot find
a shop selling them.

Any particular reason why 650mm wheels?

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old May 3rd 04, 05:30 PM
JohnB

I am looking for a racing bike with 650mm wheels for my son but cannot find
a shop selling them.

Any particular reason why 650mm wheels?

Shorter top tube, easier acceleration?

John B