bike computer wonkiness

Old December 16th 03, 06:07 PM
Tanya Quinn

Default bike computer wonkiness

I have a Cateye Enduro 2 bike computer (its a year and half old). When
I went to get my bike out of my house for a ride this morning I
noticed that the display is missing parts of digits. Any thoughts on
whether this would be a problem with the computer itself or with a low
battery? Don't want to spring for a new battery if I need a new unit
as they usually include the battery.

I've tried resetting the computer first (all clear operation) with no
luck. The manual mentions nothing about partial digits, it says when
the battery is low the digits will fade (the parts of digits I can see
are quite bright)

Now the unit is supposed to be waterproof, but I know that nothing is
ever completely waterproof Could water have done this? My previous
ride was in the pouring rain, and its doubtful I would have even
looked at it when I came in last to notice this.

Also I notice in the manual specs that the operating temperatures of
the computer are 32F/0C and above. If I use it below freezing will it
just not display properly then, but be fine again once it warms up? Or
should I avoid using it altogether below freezing? The last ride was
above freezing as it was raining (and not freezing rain) but I have
been out below freezing in the last little while as well.

Finally, if I need a new computer, any recommendations? I like this
one and its pretty cheap, but I was thinking some new functionality
like cadence or altitude might be interesting. Or something fancy
where I can download stats for a ride? Although something that would
fit in the same harness would be nice as I have a harness for this
computer on two different bikes. Are most of the Cateye's
interchangeable this way, or would I need to get the same model?

Thanks!
Tanya
Old December 16th 03, 06:54 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
I have a Cateye Enduro 2 bike computer (its a year and half old). When
I went to get my bike out of my house for a ride this morning I
noticed that the display is missing parts of digits. Any thoughts on
whether this would be a problem with the computer itself or with a low
battery? Don't want to spring for a new battery if I need a new unit
as they usually include the battery.

I've tried resetting the computer first (all clear operation) with no
luck. The manual mentions nothing about partial digits, it says when
the battery is low the digits will fade (the parts of digits I can see
are quite bright)

Now the unit is supposed to be waterproof, but I know that nothing is
ever completely waterproof Could water have done this? My previous

ABsolutely. I would say this is probably your most like culprit. My
suggestion would be to bring it in, remove the battery cover and
battery, and set it someplace warm and dry for a couple of days to see
if it comes back.

ride was in the pouring rain, and its doubtful I would have even
looked at it when I came in last to notice this.

Also I notice in the manual specs that the operating temperatures of
the computer are 32F/0C and above. If I use it below freezing will it
just not display properly then, but be fine again once it warms up? Or

Probably. LCD's tend to get very slow responding in the cold, and may
not respond at all, but will usually work find when they warm back up
again.

should I avoid using it altogether below freezing? The last ride was
above freezing as it was raining (and not freezing rain) but I have
been out below freezing in the last little while as well.

Mine (different brand, though) sat out all winter last year in an
unheated garage with a few temperatures below zero (F), and was fine
when it warmed up in the spring.

Finally, if I need a new computer, any recommendations? I like this
one and its pretty cheap, but I was thinking some new functionality

I like my Specialized SpeedZone Pro, but it's definitely not cheap (by
my standards anyway - $90 or so). It does have all the standard bike
computer functions, including cadence and altitude. No heart rate
monitor, though, as some of he expensive ones have.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old December 16th 03, 10:35 PM
Rick Onanian

On 16 Dec 2003 10:07:20 -0800, (Tanya Quinn)
wrote:
I have a Cateye Enduro 2 bike computer (its a year and half old). When
I went to get my bike out of my house for a ride this morning I
noticed that the display is missing parts of digits. Any thoughts on

Try pressing on the display. LCDs, IME, can get wonky and are then
easily put into place by a little pressure (too much damages them,
though). Just press until you see it get colorful. If there's a
clear screen over the LCD preventing you from pressing on it, then
(obviously) stop before you break the cover.

whether this would be a problem with the computer itself or with a low
battery? Don't want to spring for a new battery if I need a new unit
as they usually include the battery.

Could be a battery; try it on a voltmeter, or a battery meter. The
battery will probably be labeled with it's voltage, so you would
just need to find a battery meter for that voltage.

ever completely waterproof Could water have done this? My previous
ride was in the pouring rain, and its doubtful I would have even
looked at it when I came in last to notice this.

As mentioned by David, that is likely to be the problem. He
suggested taking the battery cover off to dry it; I'd add that you
may be able to easily disassemble the whole case and remove all the
guts, which should be all attached to eachother and just get
sandwiched between the two halves of the case.

the computer are 32F/0C and above. If I use it below freezing will it
just not display properly then, but be fine again once it warms up? Or

I think it won't compute properly at low temperatures, although the
LCD could fail too.

should I avoid using it altogether below freezing? The last ride was

I don't think freezing temperature alone will damage anything. Does
anybody know if the "Liquid" in LCD is actually a liquid, and if so,
if it will expand enough when it freezes to leak out or damage it's
container?

above freezing as it was raining (and not freezing rain) but I have
been out below freezing in the last little while as well.

If water got in and froze, it could damage something when it
expands.

Finally, if I need a new computer, any recommendations? I like this
one and its pretty cheap, but I was thinking some new functionality
like cadence or altitude might be interesting. Or something fancy

You like Cateye; stick with that company. I love my Cateye Astrale,
which does cadence. The cadence registers much faster on it; I
think it continues to measure cadence when I'm looking at some other
number, so when I switch to cadence, it's all ready for me. My Trek
and Specialized computers with cadence wait until you switch to
cadence, and then need to register a couple seconds worth of
pedalling.

where I can download stats for a ride? Although something that would
fit in the same harness would be nice as I have a harness for this
computer on two different bikes. Are most of the Cateye's
interchangeable this way, or would I need to get the same model?

I imagine that the new "8" series from Cateye, which seems to have
replaced all their old models, does not fit in their old harnesses.
Further, your harness is probably not equipped for cadence.

Thanks!
Tanya

--
Rick Onanian
Old December 17th 03, 04:06 PM
Michael

Tanya Quinn wrote:

I have a Cateye Enduro 2 bike computer (its a year and half old). When
I went to get my bike out of my house for a ride this morning I
noticed that the display is missing parts of digits. Any thoughts on
whether this would be a problem with the computer itself or with a low
battery?

Probably not battery. Some LCDs in very compact electronics do not have
permanent connections to the rest of the circuitry. Contacts simply
press against mating contacts of a circuit board. If pressure that
should keep the LCD against the PC board board is somehow releaved -
e.g. by a missing screw or broken screw stud - it is possible for one or
more contacts not to touch their mates, resulting in either a dead
display or one or more missing segments. Depending on the particular
computer, it's also possible for heavy condensation inside it to
interfere with drive signals to the LCD. This final nasty is one reason
why I don't ever unnecessarily leave my computer outdoors, keep it
indoors where it can stay warm and dry.
Old December 17th 03, 05:17 PM
Tanya Quinn

Rick Onanian wrote in message Try pressing on the display. LCDs, IME, can get wonky and are then
easily put into place by a little pressure (too much damages them,
though). Just press until you see it get colorful. If there's a
clear screen over the LCD preventing you from pressing on it, then
(obviously) stop before you break the cover.

I tried this out both before (with cover) and after disassembly.

Could be a battery; try it on a voltmeter, or a battery meter. The
battery will probably be labeled with it's voltage, so you would
just need to find a battery meter for that voltage.

I was able to find another device in my house with the same battery
type (and a known working battery) so I tried it out but doesn't seem
to be the battery.

As mentioned by David, that is likely to be the problem. He
suggested taking the battery cover off to dry it; I'd add that you
may be able to easily disassemble the whole case and remove all the
guts, which should be all attached to eachother and just get
sandwiched between the two halves of the case.

Well having already basically resigned that I'd probably need a new
one I disassembled the whole case. However the main two parts of the
case were epoxyed together, so I'm not sure if I'm able to fix it that
it will go back together again properly. The contacts appear corroded
on the main board. I was going to try to clean them with a bit of
rubbing alcohol and then I had no more thoughts past that. (didn't get
to it yet, couldn't find my rubbing alcohol)

It did work properly despite the display being wonky though. It added
the right number of km to the odometer when I went for a ride,
fortunately I had some ideas of the readings to interpret the partial
digits

above freezing as it was raining (and not freezing rain) but I have
been out below freezing in the last little while as well.

If water got in and froze, it could damage something when it
expands.

Makes sense, it just seems odd that it would freeze, as it wasn't that
cold, the ride was fairly short, and I brought the bike indoors when I
came home. I'm curious why the device failed so I can avoid similar
failure in the future. Should I just take the computer off when the
weather is not so great? (I really like having all my mileage recorded
though, its a good motivator)

Finally, if I need a new computer, any recommendations? I like this
one and its pretty cheap, but I was thinking some new functionality
like cadence or altitude might be interesting. Or something fancy

You like Cateye; stick with that company. I love my Cateye Astrale,
which does cadence. The cadence registers much faster on it; I

Well I don't like how fast it failed Or is this just a strange
fluke and all computers would be similar in that regard?

I imagine that the new "8" series from Cateye, which seems to have
replaced all their old models, does not fit in their old harnesses.
Further, your harness is probably not equipped for cadence.

Doh. Cateye seems to charge an exorbitant amount of money (relative to
the whole unit) for a second harness. I think last time I wondered
when buying the harness and magnet why not just buy the unit to get
those plus a battery which I'll need eventually anyway, and a unit for
like a buck or two more than the three other items separate. But I
thought why do I need a spare unit. Now I know
Old December 17th 03, 08:04 PM
Rick Onanian

On 17 Dec 2003 09:17:41 -0800, (Tanya Quinn)
wrote:
Well having already basically resigned that I'd probably need a new
one I disassembled the whole case. However the main two parts of the
case were epoxyed together, so I'm not sure if I'm able to fix it that
it will go back together again properly. The contacts appear corroded

Cut the epoxy with a Dremel. Re-assemble with epoxy or silicone
caulk or nearly anything else.

on the main board. I was going to try to clean them with a bit of
rubbing alcohol and then I had no more thoughts past that. (didn't get
to it yet, couldn't find my rubbing alcohol)

If you're a heavy drinker, 190 proof grain alcohol that you probably
have around is sufficient (for this and many other cleaning tasks).

failure in the future. Should I just take the computer off when the
weather is not so great? (I really like having all my mileage recorded
though, its a good motivator)

Just ride it and replace it when it breaks. Maybe put a sandwich
bag or other clear food packaging material over it in bad weather.

You like Cateye; stick with that company. I love my Cateye Astrale,
which does cadence. The cadence registers much faster on it; I

Well I don't like how fast it failed Or is this just a strange
fluke and all computers would be similar in that regard?

My Cateye has been in the rain only once or twice, and never in
heavy rain or cold weather. It survived that well, though.

Doh. Cateye seems to charge an exorbitant amount of money (relative to
the whole unit) for a second harness. I think last time I wondered

That's not limited to Cateye. It's a rare computer I've found whose
harness can be bought at a reasonable price. I suspect that the
unit itself may be less expensive to manufacture than the harness.

when buying the harness and magnet why not just buy the unit to get
those plus a battery which I'll need eventually anyway, and a unit for
like a buck or two more than the three other items separate. But I
thought why do I need a spare unit. Now I know

Sometimes I see computers with a second harness included or
available cheaply, and that's their main selling point.

Nashbar item NA-VLA, $14.41 computer with two harnesses. Nice
features, but no cadence.

Nashbar item BC-371, $7.99 extra harness for Sigma Sport models.
(lots of Sigma harnesses for that price)

Nashbar item CE-9300, $9.99 Cateye Mity/Enduro harness. Hey, that's
a reasonable price!
--
Rick Onanian
Old December 19th 03, 06:46 AM
copywrites

Tanya Quinn wrote:
[...]

It doesn't matter what brand you buy in terms of temperature range
because all are LCD displays. LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display and
th Liquid Crystal is the important part. A liquid crystal has a unique
property when it is within a certain temperature range (which is the
stated operating range). When in that range, the liquid crystal will
respond to an electrical current by lining it molecules up in a nice,
neat line. Display designers use electricity to make the liquid crystal
lineup its molecules where the designer wants then to appear, forming
numbers, letters, graphics, etc.

Unfortunately, when the liquuid crystal becoms too hot or too cold, it
no longer responds to electrical currents. Specifically when it gts too
hot, the display will turn completely black. I honestly can't remember
what happens when it gets too cold.

Now, as the temperature starts to reach the limits of the liquid
crystal(either hot or cold), the LC starts to act erratic. A common
sympton of this is partial numbers or letters. That is because some
of the LC is still responsing to the electrical current and some of
it is not.

Once the temperature returns to the appropriate temperature the display
will start working correctly.

So the bottom line is you can spend $100 or you can spend $10. But if
you ride the bike when it is 5 degrees outside or leave the computer in
direct sunlight on a hot summer day, you are going to have a problem.

One final note. Continuous exposure to excessive heat can eventually
ruin the display by damaging the LC substrate.

Simple Bike Computer - suggestions? Badger South General 4 December 10th 03 06:15 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
Survey : Weight vs. battery life for bike computer? Doug General 7 July 14th 03 04:28 PM