Riding in Thailand

Old November 4th 03, 01:27 PM
ianf

Default Riding in Thailand

Anyone for a monster 2000km ride in Thailand next year. Email me for
details.

--
ianf

Old November 5th 03, 06:08 AM
Server

In article , usenet-
says...
Anyone for a monster 2000km ride in Thailand next year. Email me for
details.

--
ianf

from
http://search.bangkokpost.co.th/bkkp...0214/news/14Fe
b2003_news23.html

"Thailand has the highest rate of road fatalities in the world at 40
deaths for every 100,000 people, or 2.9 people dying an hour, a
researcher said yesterday."

That's about 25,000 traffic deaths per year.

"Another six million people were injured in traffic accidents and 100,000
crippled for life last year, according to the National Health Institute."

Be careful and Good Luck.

(Now I'd better not be racist and start worying about them driving here
in Australia.)

--
Mark Lee
Old November 5th 03, 06:18 AM
John Doe

"Thailand has the highest rate of road fatalities in the world at 40
deaths for every 100,000 people, or 2.9 people dying an hour, a
researcher said yesterday."

That's about 25,000 traffic deaths per year.

"Another six million people were injured in traffic accidents and 100,000
crippled for life last year, according to the National Health Institute."

Be careful and Good Luck.

(Now I'd better not be racist and start worying about them driving here
in Australia.)

--
Mark Lee

That wouldnt be a dig at Jose would it?

Old November 5th 03, 06:51 AM
Jose Rizal

Server:

from
http://search.bangkokpost.co.th/bkkp...0214/news/14Fe
b2003_news23.html

"Thailand has the highest rate of road fatalities in the world at 40
deaths for every 100,000 people, or 2.9 people dying an hour, a
researcher said yesterday."

That's about 25,000 traffic deaths per year.

"Another six million people were injured in traffic accidents and 100,000
crippled for life last year, according to the National Health Institute."

Be careful and Good Luck.

(Now I'd better not be racist and start worying about them driving here
in Australia.)

No, you just need to use your brain and ask the obvious questions: how
are the fatalities incurred, who gets killed and what are the
circumstances. Statistics taken out of context like you've done and
paranoia extrapolated from that is plain stupid.

From the article:
*****
"Dr Paibul said the government could start with tougher action for
drink-driving, motorcyclists who fail to wear crash helmets, and
motorists who drive without seatbelts.

Research had shown that if 95% of motorcyclists wore crash helmets,
fatalities from motorbikes would fall 38%, while car deaths would fall
45% if motorists wore their seatbelts."
*****

In other words, many motorcycle riders and car drivers kill themselves
in Thailand, not other people. But a telling statement which you
conveniently ignored:

*****
"The government's failure to maintain roads and highways was to blame
for many accidents.

Dr Somsak hoped that one day Thai people would be able to sue the
government."
*****

In other words, poor road conditions cause many of the accidents.

So you are right. You had better not be racist and start worrying about
them driving here in Australia.

Old November 7th 03, 06:32 AM
Server

Jose told me:

No, you just need to use your brain and ask the obvious questions: how
are the fatalities incurred, who gets killed and what are the
circumstances. Statistics taken out of context like you've done and
paranoia extrapolated from that is plain stupid.

From the article:
*****
[...]

Okay, so drunk, beltless drivers and helmetless motorcyclists are
careering around crappy roads. The roads did it. Naughty roads!

Methinks some decades of driver education, along with roadworks are
required to make Thai roads a safer place (for me).

I have no objection to you cycling there, of course.
Keep the insults flying, brave warrior of the internet.
--
Mark Lee
Old November 8th 03, 12:22 PM
David S. Maddison

In article 5 Nov 2003 00:17:49
+1050 ianf wrote:

Anyone for a monster 2000km ride in Thailand next year. Email me for
details.

Mountain or road?

David

Old November 12th 03, 03:20 AM
mat pening

As far as from my experience, motorized drivers there respects cyclists more
compared to here.. And if I'm not mistaken, you will be automatically be at
fault if you hit ped or cyclist... Very safe to cycle...

I live 10km from thai border, in malaysia.

On 7/11/03 5:32 PM, in article MPG.1a15dbffe8bdb6bc989687@news-server,
"Server" wrote:

Jose told me:

No, you just need to use your brain and ask the obvious questions: how
are the fatalities incurred, who gets killed and what are the
circumstances. Statistics taken out of context like you've done and
paranoia extrapolated from that is plain stupid.

From the article:
*****