Bikes on Trams (Blackburn's Velodrome, Melb)

Old November 6th 03, 12:05 AM
hippy

Default Bikes on Trams (Blackburn's Velodrome, Melb)

I just called Yarra Trams who run the tram service
along Burwood Hwy. and their official response to
my question about whether or not bikes are allowed
on trams was "No, bikes are only allowed on trains".

So now I have to find some other way of getting from
Hawthorn to Blackburn's velodrome.. :-(

Looks like I'll have to train from Hawthorn to
Blackburn station and then ride the track bike along
Blackburn Rd. to the velodrome... illegal, given that
I haven't fitted brakes to it yet.

Any other alternatives? I prefer the above option to
driving to work and then to the 'drome with the bike
in the back.. but it may come to that sob peak
hour driving sob

hippy

Old November 6th 03, 01:03 AM
PC

`On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:05:47 GMT, "hippy"
wrote:

I just called Yarra Trams who run the tram service
along Burwood Hwy. and their official response to
my question about whether or not bikes are allowed
on trams was "No, bikes are only allowed on trains".

There are good reasons too (beyond the fact that it's illegal)..
Trams are fitted with magnetic track brakes, far more powerful than
anything on Melbourne trains.. If the driver needed to activate them,
the bike would likely go flying and could cause serious injuries to
anyone in front of it..

Looks like I'll have to train from Hawthorn to
Blackburn station and then ride the track bike along
Blackburn Rd. to the velodrome... illegal, given that
I haven't fitted brakes to it yet.

Then fit brakes to it.. Hey Presto! And the brakes may come in handy
at other times too..

PC

Old November 6th 03, 01:16 AM
Tim Jones

"hippy" wrote in message
Any other alternatives? I prefer the above option to
driving to work and then to the 'drome with the bike
in the back.. but it may come to that sob peak
hour driving sob

Put the track bike in a bike caboose? ;-)

You would sort of look like a bicycle tow truck!

Tim

Old November 6th 03, 02:07 AM
hippy

"PC" wrote in message
There are good reasons too (beyond the fact that it's illegal)..
Trams are fitted with magnetic track brakes, far more powerful than
anything on Melbourne trains.. If the driver needed to activate them,
the bike would likely go flying and could cause serious injuries to
anyone in front of it..

If they brake 'that' hard.. people are going to be in serious
trouble anyway!?

What's the difference between a bike and a pram or one of those
shopping carts you often see people carting around?

I've been let on trams before with a bike but I was rejected once,
hence the call to Yarra Trams. I'm fine if they're the rules, I never
knew why some drivers let me on and one didn't, that's all.

Then fit brakes to it.. Hey Presto! And the brakes may come
in handy at other times too..

Yes, but words are sooo much easier than actions..
I'll get around to it. I wonder if Blackburn will let me leave a
bike in their clubrooms?

hippy

Old November 6th 03, 02:41 AM
PiledHigher

Remembering you will have to take them off when you get to training,
won't be allowed to use them on the track

Old November 6th 03, 03:21 AM
BAH

wrote:

I just called Yarra Trams who run the tram service
along Burwood Hwy. and their official response to
my question about whether or not bikes are allowed
on trams was "No, bikes are only allowed on trains".

There are good reasons too (beyond the fact that it's illegal)..
Trams are fitted with magnetic track brakes, far more powerful than
anything on Melbourne trains.. If the driver needed to activate them,
the bike would likely go flying and could cause serious injuries to
anyone in front of it..

What a load of ABSOLUTE crap.

--

BAH Humbug

Old November 6th 03, 03:40 AM
PiledHigher

Hippy, if you a member yes you probably can (have to be to be at
training)

Old November 6th 03, 04:40 AM
hippy

"PiledHigher" wrote in message
Remembering you will have to take them off when you get to training,
won't be allowed to use them on the track

This, combined with the need to swap forks to
fit the brakes, is the reason I haven't done it yet.

hippy

Old November 6th 03, 04:42 AM
hippy

"BAH" wrote in message
There are good reasons too (beyond the fact that it's illegal)..
Trams are fitted with magnetic track brakes, far more powerful than
anything on Melbourne trains.. If the driver needed to activate

them,
the bike would likely go flying and could cause serious injuries to
anyone in front of it..

What a load of ABSOLUTE crap.

You have different information about these rules
and/or braking systems on trams?

hippy

Old November 6th 03, 05:36 AM
PC

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 02:07:09 GMT, "hippy"
wrote:

There are good reasons too (beyond the fact that it's illegal)..
Trams are fitted with magnetic track brakes, far more powerful than
anything on Melbourne trains.. If the driver needed to activate them,
the bike would likely go flying and could cause serious injuries to
anyone in front of it..

If they brake 'that' hard.. people are going to be in serious
trouble anyway!?

It happens several times a day, though usually at low speeds..
Standing passengers usually get a bit shaken up, but usually everyone
on board gives the taxi that pulled a U-turn in front of the tram or
whatever a few dozen filthy looks..

If you want an idea of what I'm talking about, take a close look at
that two foot long thing hanging on springs between the two axles on
each bogie. It's an electo-magnet. When the driver takes his/her
foot off the deadmans pedal, steps down too hard or otherwise puts the
tram into emergency braking, those things activate (also the gong
rings and the tram drops some sand automatically). The track brake
will grapple onto the track to attempt to slow the tram down as much
as possible..

What's the difference between a bike and a pram or one of those
shopping carts you often see people carting around?

Bikes have a lot less rolling resistance.. A shopping cart usually
only has one axle and even if it has two, they're not great quality so
they won't accelerate so fast.. Prams generally have brakes..

I've been let on trams before with a bike but I was rejected once,
hence the call to Yarra Trams. I'm fine if they're the rules, I never
knew why some drivers let me on and one didn't, that's all.

Some drivers don't care, some might not know, some might be spaced
out, some couldn't be stuffed making a fuss, could be running late and
don't want to delay the tram by starting an argument.. Basically, if
you say nothing, you'll have a pretty good strike rate until such time
as you become known.. In the meantime, even if you do get a driver
who orders you off, the next tram is, what, 8 minutes behind?

PC

Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
£40,000 of Giant bikes stolen -Little Tricycle Pink Pink 10" David L Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 03 10:06 PM
so many bike types - which is which? tsp General 11 October 15th 03 10:02 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM