Ouch !

Old November 4th 03, 01:15 PM
Fred Nieman

Default Ouch !

cfsmtb wrote:

ps: "Aah, aah, we fade to grey; and I ran, I ran so far away; I'm lost
and I'm found, and I'm hungry like the wolf; heaven, must be there;
city on a rainy day down by the harbour, this is not the way that I
remember it here..." Ten points for the name of the song, ten points
for the name of the group, fifteen points if you can name the album
the song was from, and twenty-five bonus points if you can remember
seeing them on "Countdown"...

Hey ho lets go....

cfsmtb (also) wrote:

Albums,
1. Visage, 2. Flock of Seagulls, 3. Rio, 4. Possibly self titled, 5.
Primitive Man.

For a possible 60 x 5 = 300 pints, ahem, points, cfsmtb wrote:
1. Visage, Fade to Gray (1981)
6. Vid Clip on Countdown, much posing from Steve Strange & Co, plus a
shop dummy wearing much makeup,

* 10 points from the German (cf: Spandau Ballet) Judge for the song, 10
points from the Belgian Judge (who would have scored you a zero if you'd
mentioned "Ça Plane por Moi" by Plastique Bertand [which is, of course,
the quintessential 80s song because it was from 1979] for the band, 15
incidental points because the album was self-titled, but minus 5 because
the self-titled album was actually a "Greatest Hits" from 1983, 25 for
seeing it on Countdown, but minus 10 for not mentioning that Steve
Strange was in the video for last cool David Bowie single, "Ashes to
Ashes" ('... we get things done, you'd better not mess with...[you know
who])
- for a total of 45/60, cumulative 45

2. I Ran, Flock of Seagulls (1982)
2. Flock of Seagulls,
7. Vid Clip on Countdown, young tryhard English boys & girls running
around in big baggy slacks, birdsnest hairdo's, remember much orange
and sheets of plastic in the background for some reason. A wind
machine was in there too.

* 10 points for the song, 10 points for the band, 15 points for the
album, 25 points for seeing it on Countdown, but minus 10 for not
mentioning that Samuel L Jackson (as Jules Winnfield) calls one of the
guys they shoot in Pulp Fiction act 1, sc i, the name of the band, even
tho it was in 1994, and the 80s were still The Decade That Dares Not
Breathe Its Name even tho The Face in Feb 1993 or near enough wrote "an
80s revival - remember you read it here first". And while I think of
it, minus 5 simply because of all those nasty plastic pop covers of 80s
songs they're doing now.
- for a total of 45/60, cumulative 90

3. Hungry Like The Wolf, Duran Duran (1982)
8. Too many to mention, poncy English New Romantics (or alternatively
read "Lombards") make classy "we're on holiday" video clips in Sri
Lanka with hot looking chicks, DD made many personal appearances on
Countdown when in the country,

* 10 points for the song, 10 points for the band, 15 bonus points
because (a) DD rooool! and (b) I've regressed back to the hair-cut, 15
points for the album, 25 points for seeing it on Countdown, 20 bonus
points for mentioning Sri Lanka, but minus 10 for mentioning Sri Lanka
without mentioning Phillip K Dick, who lived there because... well,
umm...
- for a total of 85/60, cumulative 175

4. Heaven, Eurogliders (1982-3?)
9. Vid Clip on Countdown, cinematic big budget affair shot in either a
big studio or on a farm, Grace Knight singing her little heart out.
Appeared live on the show too.

* 10 points for the song, 10 points for the band, 15 points for the
album, 25 points for seeing it on Countdown, 10 bonus points because
Molly Meldrum got such a hard time when they filmed that Channel 9
thing, but minus 10 because I (totally unrelatedly) can't find the
lyrics to "Benchtop" anywhere on the internet, but 5 more bonus points
for mentioning Grace Knight.
- for a total of 65/60, cumulative 240

5. Great Southern Land, Icehouse (1982)
10. Vid Clip on Countdown, Iva looking all surly and wearing big
pants, trying not to stumble off a quarry cliff somewhere in
Kur-ing-gai Chase.

* 10 points for the song, 10 points for the band, 15 points for the
album, 25 points for seeing it on Countdown, but minus 10 for not
mentioning how the picture on the back of the "Flowers/Icehouse" album
had a packet of St Moritz Menthol 20s which meant I immediately decided
to start smoking 'em, and minus 10 for not mentioning that Iva played
oboe in some ABC youth Symphony Orchestra, but 15 bonus points for
mentioning Big Pants, The Cyclist's Thighs Friend, and 15 bonus points
for mentioning Kur-ing-gai Chase, somewhere outside of Sydney that I've
actually lived near, but minus 10 points for not mentioning that the
video for "Lets Dance" by David Bowie [supra] was shot near the Three
Sisters out of Katoomba, somewhere outside of Sydney that I've actually
lived near, so... (umm, that's 240 plus (10+10+15+25 = 60) minus
(10+15) plus, umm...

300/300 !!!

Ok, there were no sightings of bikes in any of these videos, but do I
win a slab of Mountain Goat ? cheers

(Umm. I don't understand this bit. But I think I should pretend to.)
Mountain Goat! Why, of course!

PS, this is all from memory and I didn't use Google once, I'm just
reallyreally old)

And yeah, I just researched up on that stuff, umm, to impress you. I'm
actually coughs and splutters, grasps walking frame an 18/m...
/coughs, splutters, grasps

Reckon that poor cyclists must have recovered by now, and you thought
watching Lance almost losing his remaining knacker in the TdF made you
winch. I'm 50/50 on whether the photo was real or staged.

Well, my score so far is, testicles 2, Tour de France wins 0. So....
I'm up there with Phil Anderson. Except he won more stages that me (ie:
0)
Or something.
--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Music these days... It's not like the 80s... I liked Kylie's early
stuff, when she coughs, splutters, grasps redux was less commercial
and more edgy...
Old November 5th 03, 01:30 AM
hippy

"Fred Nieman" wrote in message
Music these days... It's not like the 80s... I liked Kylie's early
stuff, when she coughs, splutters, grasps redux was less commercial
and more edgy...

Early stuff... more edgy??

e.g. "Doooo the locomotion with meeee!"

;-)

hippy
Kylie's good value.. but I'm not talking about her music...

Old November 5th 03, 02:28 AM
cfsmtb

Fred Nieman wrote:
... (umm, that's 240 plus (10+10+15+25 = 60) minus (10+15) plus, umm...
300/300 !!!
Music these days... It's not like the 80s... I liked Kylie's early
stuff, when she coughs, splutters, grasps redux was less commercial
and more edgy...

Crikey, your emails are tangent city. don't know where to start.
Mountain Goat is a locally brewed beer in Melbourne. yummy. And
everyone's gone all misty eyed of late, due to the screening of ABC's
"Love Is In Air". BTW, Iva also wrote a song with one of the guys in
Yellow Magic Orchestra. 18 more sleeps 'til Killing Joke play live in
Melbourne. ahhhhh, eighties.....

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Old November 5th 03, 12:01 PM
Fred Nieman

Default Dooo the Wildy OTB with me (was Ouch !)

hippy wrote:

"Fred Nieman" wrote in message
Music these days... It's not like the 80s... I liked Kylie's early
stuff, when she coughs, splutters, grasps redux was less commercial
and more edgy...

Early stuff... more edgy??

e.g. "Doooo the locomotion with meeee!"

Can't you see the obvious influences of (pre-John Cale leaving) Velvet
Underground, Detroit stuff like MC5, and even the New York Dolls, plus
really out-there European stuff like Can and Focus in her first
post-Neighbours/post-modern opuses (opii?), which demonstrate such a
clear continuity from Joy Division, 70s Siouxsie and the nascent
underground dub/rap/sound-system stuff?

;-)

hippy
Kylie's good value.. but I'm not talking about her music...

I know one day she's going to want to give up the international celeb
scene, come home, and settle down with me...
And *that's* why I'm stalking her...

(yes, ok, this is a joke post, joke post, j o k e p o s t!)
Old November 5th 03, 12:11 PM
Fred Nieman

Default Now that I think of it... (was Ouch !)

hippy wrote:

"Fred Nieman" wrote in message
Music these days... It's not like the 80s... I liked Kylie's early
stuff, when she coughs, splutters, grasps redux was less commercial
and more edgy...

Early stuff... more edgy??

e.g. "Doooo the locomotion with meeee!"

;-)

hippy
Kylie's good value.. but I'm not talking about her music...

Of course. Y'see, "The Locomotion" was all about cycling: how petite
but perfectly formed legs (like Kylie's, and sprinters) tend to have a
natural cadence of about 90 - 100 rpm...
Old November 5th 03, 12:15 PM
hippy

"Fred Nieman" wrote in message
e.g. "Doooo the locomotion with meeee!"

Can't you see the obvious influences of (pre-John Cale leaving) Velvet
Underground, Detroit stuff like MC5, and even the New York Dolls, plus
really out-there European stuff like Can and Focus in her first
post-Neighbours/post-modern opuses (opii?), which demonstrate such a
clear continuity from Joy Division, 70s Siouxsie and the nascent
underground dub/rap/sound-system stuff?

Oh god.. what has this become?!?!

I know one day she's going to want to give up the international celeb
scene, come home, and settle down with me...
And *that's* why I'm stalking her...

Oh, that was you! :-P

(yes, ok, this is a joke post, joke post, j o k e p o s t!)

....and a damn good one too!
Here's the "LOL" I owe you for the 'stalking' line above. :-D :-D

hippy
Bike Thing: What should I do with my ancient, failing, 27",
Apollo "chippie" bike?

Old November 6th 03, 01:27 PM
Fred Nieman

hippy wrote:

"Fred Nieman" wrote in message
e.g. "Doooo the locomotion with meeee!"

Can't you see the obvious influences of (pre-John Cale leaving) Velvet

lots of silly stuff
underground dub/rap/sound-system stuff?

Oh god.. what has this become?!?!

Weil Man Hippy, radge, aw ya neid tae dae.. sorry, I''l try to switch
out of Irvine Welsh mode...

Well, Hippy, mate, the only solution is to send control headers for:
- aus.bicycle.kylie_minogue.fan.fan.fan
- aus.bicycle.kylie_minogue.cadence.legs.petite_but_ perfectly_formed
- aus.bicycle.80s.tragics.blame_chris_and_ftsmb

Aym sure ye ken hoo tae dae... umm, sorry, let's start again. I'm sure
you know how to do it...

I know one day she's going to want to give up the international celeb
scene, come home, and settle down with me...
And *that's* why I'm stalking her...

Oh, that was you! :-P

It wah nae niver me, tha fook, ah wus oot reedin mah bicycle, doon the
bike-paths, like? (oops, sorry, I Britney Spears'd it again)

(yes, ok, this is a joke post, joke post, j o k e p o s t!)

...and a damn good one too!
Here's the "LOL" I owe you for the 'stalking' line above. :-D :-D

I'm pretty sure I'll need to bank your owingness for my future
stupidity...

So lets start off now:
Campag Ergo shifters roolz! Shimano STi Suxxx!

xxx

hippy
Bike Thing: What should I do with my ancient, failing, 27",
Apollo "chippie" bike?

ps:
Is that "chippie"/"chipie" as in:
(a) slang for carpenters; or,
(b) a sometime fashionable brand of English shoes/clothes; or,
(c) English slang for a sex-worker
?
Old November 6th 03, 06:27 PM
hippy

hehe.. but too ****ed to think of anything funny in reply - sorry!

I'm pretty sure I'll need to bank your owingness for my future
stupidity...

So lets start off now:
Campag Ergo shifters roolz! Shimano STi Suxxx!

OOH! Hey that remimds me.. I rode my mates Campag setup for the
first time and I have to say.. shimano rules!
Sheesh! How hard is it to reach those dam,n campag levers?!?!
I DO like the continuous trim that Campag has on the front derrailer.
I only rode his bike for 10min so I have a far from reasonable
comparison.. but as far as first impressions go - Shi(t)mano wins...

Bike Thing: What should I do with my ancient, failing, 27",
Apollo "chippie" bike?

ps:
Is that "chippie"/"chipie" as in:
(a) slang for carpenters; or,
(b) a sometime fashionable brand of English shoes/clothes; or,
(c) English slang for a sex-worker

Well, I actually call it my "shop" bike, i.e. the one that I take
down the shops and don't lock up or anything because it is
far to invaluable for such things... Someone I know called it
a "chippie" bike because it is what you use to get your
fish and chips! :-)

hippy

Old November 7th 03, 12:30 PM
Fred Nieman

cfsmtb wrote:

Fred Nieman wrote:
... (umm, that's 240 plus (10+10+15+25 = 60) minus (10+15) plus, umm...
300/300 !!!
Music these days... It's not like the 80s... I liked Kylie's early
stuff, when she coughs, splutters, grasps redux was less commercial
and more edgy...

Crikey, your emails are tangent city.

Is that a brand of beer or an English Soccer Club? ("Gae, ye Tangent
City bois.. an aym drinkin Tangent City broon, an aw, coas they're
playin th night - City! City! City!") /Irvine Welsh

don't know where to start.

Umm. (And that's definite.)

Mountain Goat is a locally brewed beer in Melbourne. yummy.

Well, I'm sure it is... (must must have got it mixed up with Mountain
Dew, which I believe is a kind of caffinated Pub Squash for nerds.) Is
that like Pi55, from the Great Britain, 447 Church Street in Richmond?

And
everyone's gone all misty eyed of late, due to the screening of ABC's
"Love Is In Air".

Love Is In (ahem) The Air, deent, dent, doint, deent, dent, doint,
(repeat to fade), you mean?

(Just to get this back OT, apparently at one stage J P Young rode Gitane
10-speed...)

And misty-eyed? Have you read James Freud's book? (He apparently rode a
Gary Fisher MTB at some stage when he was playing bass on a Kylie tour
of the US.)

BTW, Iva also wrote a song with one of the guys in

Apparently Iva Davies at one stage owned a touring bike from Clarence St
Cycles in Sydney...

Yellow

Apparently Ryuichi Sakamoto commuted daily from his apartment in
Shinjuku to the recording studio in Roppongi on a single-speed Kuwahara
26' wheel BMX...

Magic Orchestra.

Don't get me started about how everything links back to Brian Eno (who
apparently rode a Peugeot cyclo-cross bike at one stage)...

18 more sleeps 'til Killing Joke play live in
Melbourne. ahhhhh, eighties.....

Seems Jaz used to ride a UK Raleigh with Sturmey-Archer 3-speed
hub-gears, before he went completely bonkers about (amongst other
things) numerology...

See you (completely NOT, unfortunately) at the gig...

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Yeah, yep. That is, if you don't have to hand in a 4 000 word essay on
Monday... which explains why. Sort of.

xxx

ps: "a love like [as might happen with a badly matched saddle, in a
worst case scenario] blood", etc.

Old November 13th 03, 12:31 AM
cfsmtb

jeez, fred/pete, any chance you're a fan of Sparks as well? Russell Mael
apparentely "spins" a lot to exercise. it's too gawddamn scary to ride a
bike in LA, wethinks. we're a fun bunch of guys & we come from outer
space. cheers.

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

nick.

www.nickcoyne.com

[color=navy blue]Cape Epic Team Grovel
www.cape-epic.com

Grovel: "To work interminably and without apparent progress"

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race." - H G Wells.

life ain't much but there's nothing else to do