Four sets of essential points for cyclists to remember

Old April 18th 04, 11:08 PM
davek

Default Four sets of essential points for cyclists to remember

And I'm just off for a 10 mile 'first time this weekend' ride...

Spooky. Actually, my 10 mile ride turned into 26 miles - mainly because my
10 mile route would have involved a return leg into a stiff-ish headwind.
Instead I went the other way and had the wind behind me all the way home...
WHEEEEEE!

The D'Arcs are nice - quite comfortable and don't obscure your vision at
all. Already very glad I got them.

You haven't just ordered a Kryptonite wall thingy, cable and D lock
from them as well, have you?

I don't think so, but maybe I'd better check...

d.

Old April 19th 04, 09:06 AM
Robert McDonald

Each morning going to work I pass about 5 buses. £1.20 saved and five
minutes faster. I love it!

Ride past taxis and save a tenner :-)

Robert

Old April 19th 04, 10:35 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

davek wrote:

Just as I was mulling over what I should do, the 'dead' sheep just
rolled over and leapt up, scaring its mates half to death. I could
almost swear it was standing there laughing as all the other sheep
ran away...

You've either been reading too much Douglas Adams or smoking those "herbal"
tabs again ;-)

--
Guy
===

Old April 19th 04, 02:46 PM
Velvet

Chris Malcolm wrote:
"Richard Goodman" writes:

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message

Richard Goodman wrote:

"Iain Jones" wrote in message
news:Xns94CEDE0F8D249iainjones1980btinter@217. 32.252.50...

Each morning going to work I pass about 5 buses. #1.20 saved and five
minutes faster. I love it!

Perhaps the OP meant when you're drafting

Oh, yes, I used to do that in my youth. It's quite exciting provided
the driver doesn't know you're there. If he/she realises, you're toast
when they hit the brakes.

Well, one can never discount the possibility of an emergency stop I suppose,
but I can't imagine any driver with passengers on board, some of whom will
be standing, deliberately hitting the brakes very hard just for the specific
purpose of causing problems to a drafting cyclist.

Bus brakes are deliberately hobbled for that reason. Much better to
hit one errant pedestrian than to knock over a dozen inside the bus.
--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[

That doesn't sit with what I experience recently as a passenger on said
bus. Brakes were FULLY capable AND being used to attempt to convert
passengers into unguided missiles launched down the length of bus and
out through front window... repeatedly.

Velvet

Old April 19th 04, 07:27 PM
Danny Colyer

Iain Jones wrote:
Overtaking buses is fun.

I used to think so, until a coach driver in Bath decided to accelerate
to match my speed as I drew level with the cab. I dropped back pretty
sharpish when I then saw a lorry coming the other way (it wasn't there
when I started the maneouvre and under normal circumstances I would have
completed the maneouvre before it hove into view).

Overtaking taxis ... my life's worth more than a tenner ;-)

Make that coaches too :-(

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html