DF with Single Speeds hope bents don't go that way

Old July 31st 03, 01:12 PM
dave is here

Default DF with Single Speeds hope bents don't go that way

Hi Victor,
I would agree that the front derailleur is important as a chain guide
on a bike with a rear derailleur but on a fixed gear or single speed
bike it isn't important. The chain-line is straight and the chain
tension is much tighter. I road ride two fixed gear bikes regularly
and have never had an incident with the chain.

Fixies work pretty good on uphills. Although I bail out and ride a
geared bike (DF or recumbent) if the ride has really steep hills. I
know of a number of riders, perhaps even yourself(?) that ride fixies
and recumbents.
dave

Victor Kan wrote in message r.com...
Mike wrote:
So are these people reverting back to early childhood or what ?

Maybe they rented that Kevin Bacon movie Quicksilver and loved the scene
where he was on a (I think) fixed gear bike and tried to go up a steep hill.

As for derailers causing problems, how about that David Millar incident
in this year's Tour de France prologue? If I recall, he used a single
chainring in the front and didn't have a derailer up there, saving
weight. Was the weight savings worth having to reach down to fix his
chain at 35+ mph?

Old July 31st 03, 04:03 PM
John W

The ultimate fixed gear rider. http://www.mile43.com/peterson/rando.html

"Mike" wrote in message
Have you seen a small group of DF riders who are riding single speed

bikes
and the parts industry that has popped up to support this. I say what ever
thrills you but.... I can remember single speed bikes as a child and what

big step up it was when I was older to get 5 speed.

The Single speed people thing it's a revolution in cycling.

So are these people reverting back to early childhood or what ?

If these Single Speed DF's want to be real trend setters they should ride
bents !!!