Cycle lanes save lives

Old July 18th 07, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

Default Cycle lanes save lives

according to yesterday's Grauniad leader:

"In London the number of cyclists killed or seriously injured on the
roads has fallen by nearly a third in the last decade, mainly because
of bicycle lanes"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...128180,00.html

Must be true then.

Old July 18th 07, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill

Response to POHB:
"In London the number of cyclists killed or seriously injured on the
roads has fallen by nearly a third in the last decade, mainly because
of bicycle lanes"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...128180,00.html

Must be true then.

Not to mention

"riders have to first study and inwardly digest a notice on the
handlebars which states: "I will stop at red lights, I will respect one-
way streets." Fat chance of that, or of many of the 22,000 people who
used the system on the first day wearing he#@*£NOCARRIER

--
Mark, UK
"I have found people to be more kind than I expected, and less just."
Old July 18th 07, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Thomson

"POHB" a écrit:

according to yesterday's Grauniad leader:

"In London the number of cyclists killed or seriously injured on the
roads has fallen by nearly a third in the last decade, mainly because
of bicycle lanes"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...128180,00.html

The irony of that is rather bitter. A young cyclist was killed not far from
here at the start of the month by a turning builder's lorry as she rode in a
cycle lane. The road layout is shown here, along with a brief article in
French:

http://www.velocite-movies.com/image...40707grand.jpg

In French law, the use of some cycle lanes (marked with a *round* blue sign)
is compulsory, and this is one of those.

James Thomson