Rack and trailer to fit a Rans Vivo

Old July 28th 03, 07:02 PM
john paul downey

Default Rack and trailer to fit a Rans Vivo

Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry
groceries. Second which trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help
appreciated.

John Downey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103

home page: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jdowney/index.html

\
\
\~@
\\\_ _/\_
(*) `- (*)

Old July 30th 03, 03:47 AM
Nick Keenan

john paul downey wrote in message ...
Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry
groceries. Second which trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help
appreciated.

I have a Wike trailer that I use to haul the kids around. It attaches
to the rear wheel quick-release, so it could fit on the Vivo. I don't
put it on my Vivo, though. The problem is I have trouble getting up
some of the hills around here in the lowest gears on the Vivo, and I'd
never get up them with a trailer. However, my experience is that if
you are carrying serious cargo (i.e. 60 lbs of kids) the trailer is a
lot easier and safer than strapping stuff onto the frame of your bike,
so if your Vivo can't go where you need to go with a trailer, you
won't make it with panniers either.

I would think that on a suspended bike like the Vivo, you would want
to attach a trailer to the frame and not the axle. The problem is
figuring out what points on the frame are strong enough. My Wike
trailer will fit on the Vivo if I attach it to the bolt that holds the
seat post instead of the axle, but I have no idea if that bolt is
strong enough to take the loads of a trailer. There are trailers that
attach to the seat post, and the Vivo has a seat post, but it doesn't
look like it was meant for horizontal loads.

There are pictures of a RANS rack at
http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Touring_Racks.htm
but no info on buying them.
Nick Keenan

Rack questions har Techniques 14 June 25th 04 09:18 PM
Question on use of Yakima BigHorn 4 Bike Rack trailer hitch. Easy question. Thanks, tryitoz Joe Donaldson General 4 March 14th 04 03:08 AM
Yakima Mighty Joe Car Rack Roger Zoul Techniques 2 September 21st 03 04:50 AM
Bike rack straps and spoilers Tim Lapin General 2 August 25th 03 02:33 AM
Bike rack straps and spoilers Tim Lapin Techniques 2 August 25th 03 02:33 AM