helmets save lives

Old May 23rd 17, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default helmets save lives

Or at least 1 out of 2 in a random sampling of speedboat
crews with another speedboat dropped on their heads:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/05/...boat-accident/

"Raabe and Byrne were both struck by the hull of The Smith
Brothers as it passed over them, according to the Ocean
County Prosecutor’s office. Both men were wearing helmets."

I saw this on the radio just now and was amazed that the
last line was considered germane to the story.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 23rd 17, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 8:17:31 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Or at least 1 out of 2 in a random sampling of speedboat
crews with another speedboat dropped on their heads:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/05/...boat-accident/

"Raabe and Byrne were both struck by the hull of The Smith
Brothers as it passed over them, according to the Ocean
County Prosecutor’s office. Both men were wearing helmets."

I saw this on the radio just now and was amazed that the
last line was considered germane to the story.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I suppose if a boat flies over top of you and its hull hits you in the head, its best to be wearing a helmet. Hopefully no one will doubt the benefit of the helmet in this case.
Old May 23rd 17, 11:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 8:17:31 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Or at least 1 out of 2 in a random sampling of speedboat
crews with another speedboat dropped on their heads:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/05/...boat-accident/

"Raabe and Byrne were both struck by the hull of The Smith
Brothers as it passed over them, according to the Ocean
County Prosecutor’s office. Both men were wearing helmets."

I saw this on the radio just now and was amazed that the
last line was considered germane to the story.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I suppose if a boat flies over top of you and its hull hits you in the
head, its best to be wearing a helmet. Hopefully no one will doubt the
benefit of the helmet in this case.

The boat wouldn't have hit them without the extra thickness of the helmet.

--
duane
Old May 23rd 17, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://gwrco.com/seatbelts/marine/

USCG keeps an online stat sheet

I receive kayak n Miami headlines...

drownings n impact deaths seam to be up a tick ... there was a shift in equity with aconcommentant downward shift intelligence.

Hyperthermia n CHOH
Old May 23rd 17, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/i...erse_city.html
Old May 23rd 17, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 6:13:41 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
wrote:
[...]

+1000! VBEG ROTFLMAO!

Good one Duane!

Cheers
Old May 24th 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ta...c3b6ae90180b5a

Old May 25th 17, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/23/2017 12:24 AM, wrote:
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 8:17:31 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Or at least 1 out of 2 in a random sampling of speedboat
crews with another speedboat dropped on their heads:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/05/...boat-accident/

"Raabe and Byrne were both struck by the hull of The Smith
Brothers as it passed over them, according to the Ocean
County Prosecutor’s office. Both men were wearing helmets."

I saw this on the radio just now and was amazed that the
last line was considered germane to the story.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I suppose if a boat flies over top of you and its hull hits you in the head, its best to be wearing a helmet. Hopefully no one will doubt the benefit of the helmet in this case.

No, but I do hope it doesn't lead to a campaign for mandatory helmets on
every user of a rowboat. That's pretty much what happened regarding
bicycling.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 25th 17, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:19:36 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/23/2017 12:24 AM, wrote:
[...]

You may be right, but the need for helmets in rowboats is so rare that your comment is not a practical argument.

Had the incident separated a shell in two, and that heated up the campaign for mandatory minimum flotation built in to every rowboat, however, then I'm good with it.

Google "floatation leo blockley". https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.sport.rowing/flotation$20$20leo$20blockley$20%7Csort:relevance

The campaign really heated up after 2000 when Leo, an Oxford rower, failed to make it to shore in Seville, after the eight he was in swamped in rough weather. How many times since? The proposed standard:
http://www.leoblockley.org.uk/docume...y_standard.doc

Carl Douglas' arguments for flotation seem to me to be impossible to refute.. Every Douglas has built-in floatation, and after reading Carl's rants on the subject I think the other builders boats should too. Not my usual position on this kinda thing.

http://www.carldouglasrowing.com/
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.sport.rowing/carl$20douglas$20flotation

Old May 26th 17, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/23/2017 12:24 AM, wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you fail to grasp the full implications of the analogy.

--
- Frank Krygowski

'Ban Cycling, Save Lives' ... Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen UK 0 April 24th 16 03:27 PM
Can 20mph limits save lives? Simon Mason UK 19 July 28th 11 10:37 AM
Cycle lanes save lives POHB UK 2 July 18th 07 11:44 AM
Bicycle helmet law can save lives Garrison Hilliard General 146 May 19th 04 05:42 AM
Law on cycle helmets 'would save lives' Mucco UK 14 May 18th 04 12:52 PM