NoCom = 6 mph faster than Highwheeler

Old April 28th 05, 12:54 AM
NoComRulez

Default NoCom = 6 mph faster than Highwheeler

Now verified by onf of the few owners of both platforms who's a) got
hundreds of miles on each and b) is not on someone's payroll.

The course: standard bike trail commute, 17.5 miles, slight downhill
in, uphill and headwind back.

The platforms: Volae team, stock. NoCom with Renn disc and standard
spoked front wheel, FSA triple crank up front.

The data: Standard heart rate at cruising speed 160-175. At this
constant HR, speed on Volae Team on way in, 21-25 mph. Speeds on NoCom
27-32mph.

Bottom line: The team now gets used when I need to haul in clothes and
groceries, when I want to relax and smell the flowers, or when I expect
rain. Fine, fast-ish bike, but not even in the same league as the NoCom
when it comes to speed.

NoCom is also a better climber, as it is stiffer than any of the
single-tube stick bikes out there.

My wife (also an owner of one of each) puts it this way, "I don't
understand why this is even up for discussion."

Let's just say I've never seen her go 34mph on a flat on any
highwheeler...

In short, don't believe the BS. There's no comparison. Anyone who tells
you a highwheeler is even close, speedwise, is flat out lying. Buy a
highwheeler because you like the comfort. Or you like the speed
compared to the rest of the FOG trash out there. Or you don't want to
spend any time building it up a carbon-fiber sled or tweaking it to
perfection. But don't buy it if you want the fastest stick around.

Old April 28th 05, 03:07 PM
Al Luminium

My wife (also an owner of one of each) puts it this way, "I don't
understand why this is even up for discussion."

A wise woman. Listen to her. Understand her. Go to some Euro races and get
your ass kicked by people who really go fast. Learn some humility, and then
realize that nocom feaux racer arrogance doesn't mean **** to just about
everyone here, despite the inherent sculptural beauty of the bike.

Old April 28th 05, 05:09 PM

Ed,

Don't you ever tire of beating that tattered old drum? I know. You
can't do it on BROL anymore. What a pity. You're keep running out of
places to peddle your crap simply because you repeatedly exceed their
tolerance threshold and get censored or banned and deservedly so. Gee,
I wonder who the common denominator is in all this? Forget it. That
was a rhetorical question and the answer is obvious. Don't let the
door hit you in the ass on the way out and take your drum with you.

Jim

Ed-Al Luminium-Gin wrote:'

My wife (also an owner of one of each) puts it this way, "I don't
understand why this is even up for discussion."

A wise woman. Listen to her. Understand her. Go to some Euro races

and get
your ass kicked by people who really go fast. Learn some humility,

and then
realize that nocom feaux racer arrogance doesn't mean **** to just

about
everyone here, despite the inherent sculptural beauty of the bike.

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Old April 28th 05, 07:49 PM
Freewheeling

Using heart rate as an analog for power output just won't work. It's too
variable, dependent on what you eat, general and specific health, how much
seep you've had, hydration, etc. I found that at the same gear, cadence and
speed (on rollers) over the same time period my average heart rate varies by
as much as 15%, so it's only a very crude analog for power. If the
performance differences you've observed are within that 15% window then they
aren't differences statistically speaking, especially if you've only run one
data point. You can't, in other words, reject the null hypothesis that the
bikes are equally "good" in terms of speed efficiency, etc. You'd probably
need something that directly measures power output for that, and also
standardize as many of the other variables as you can (wind, temperature,
etc.).

ups.com...

Old April 29th 05, 12:02 AM
NoComRulez

Freewheeling, I ride this route every day at the same times of day and
I have hundreds and hundres of miles on it, on both bikes, so the
differences are easy for me to quantify. I also know exactly what kind
of speed performance I get for a given heart rate and a given bike --
or, for that matter, a pair of running shoes. I am not some old BROL
FOG with his first pair of wheels. I've been doing the endurance sport
thing for well over 20 years, and I know my body well. I can tell you
with pretty good accuracy how fast I'm running (or riding) without a
watch or computer most of the time.

The facts are these, the nocom is consistently 5-6 mph faster at
cruising speeds, and it climbs better to boot. (No surprise, it's got a
stiffer frame and less mush in the seating arrangement.) Corroberating
evidence: On decent downhills near my house, where the Volae coasts in
the 27 mph range, the nocom is going so fast I need to brake or I run
into cars (that's 33-35 mph).

On the Nocom, though I am currently out of shape, I can sprint on flats
up to 34 mph. I NEVER achieved a flat sprint more than 31-2 mph on the
Volae even on smooth roads and with tailwinds, when I was in much
better shape. And my wife has never sprinted at 32 mph in her life. She
hits that easily on her nocom -- and she's got under 200 miles on this
season.

Must be the granola she's eating for breakfast this year, though, eh
Freehwheeler? Couldn't be the bike... Puhleeze. Spare us your pseudo
scientific second-guessing. I can reject the null hypothesis with great
certainty, as can anyone who looks at the bike are removes their ego
from their overprice Aero purchase for a few minutes. But I suppose
unless we get this thing into a wind tunnel and onto the test bench to
measure the stiffness, the real intellects like you will never buy
it...

I'm just reporting the facts, as I seem to be the only one around who
rides both platforms and isn't on anyone's payroll. I can't post it at
BROL, because Bryan der Bent Fuhrer banned me for saying "Jehova." I
figured that there were people out there -- other than the Freewheelers
and the Linseed Jimmys -- who might be interested. So here it is, for
the record.

I'm not going to argue about it with any of you pinheads who've got it
in for Ed, lowracers, or whatever else is stuck up your butts sideways.
These are the facts. End of story. Any highwheeler pilots want to
debate the point, stop by next time you're in the DC area, bring a
couple hundred bucks, and I'll show you the difference.

By the way, budding Einsteins. This isn't Ed. Ed doesn't own a
highwheeler.

Old April 29th 05, 12:25 AM
Racer

my airlite trike could kick your nocoms ass
Old April 29th 05, 02:07 AM
kfkfkg

Oh my god, it's back!

Please go back to whatever rock you were under for the last month or
so. This group was just starting to come back to life...
Old April 29th 05, 03:19 AM
Mark Leuck

"NoComRulez" wrote in message
ups.com...

On the Nocom, though I am currently out of shape, I can sprint on flats
up to 34 mph. I NEVER achieved a flat sprint more than 31-2 mph on the
Volae even on smooth roads and with tailwinds, when I was in much
better shape. And my wife has never sprinted at 32 mph in her life. She
hits that easily on her nocom -- and she's got under 200 miles on this
season.

Big whoop, I can sprint at 34 mph on my Baron

Old April 29th 05, 04:06 AM
Freewheeling

"NoComRulez" wrote in message
ups.com...
Freewheeling, I ride this route every day at the same times of day and
I have hundreds and hundres of miles on it, on both bikes, so the
differences are easy for me to quantify. I also know exactly what kind
of speed performance I get for a given heart rate and a given bike --
or, for that matter, a pair of running shoes. I am not some old BROL
FOG with his first pair of wheels. I've been doing the endurance sport
thing for well over 20 years, and I know my body well. I can tell you
with pretty good accuracy how fast I'm running (or riding) without a
watch or computer most of the time.

Your level of "experience" has nothing to do with the empirical reliability
of your metrics, and by definition heart rate isn't power or energy, so its
validity as a measure of power or energy is compromised, at best. Moreover,
your consistent "advocacy" of this particular bike suggests, well... bias.
Just report, let people take it for what it's worth, and move on to another
topic.

Old April 30th 05, 02:45 PM
Big Red

I hope you live near Chicago, so we can see you race at Northbrook this
summer trying to fulfill your challenge.