Got new Lights!

Old August 14th 05, 01:03 AM

Default Got new Lights!

Not that it matters, it's your money and eBay is an epitome of
capitalism (like WalMart) but after you included shipping for both
separate units, did you save much money over just buying them from your
local bike shop?

Cateye makes great stuff.

david boise ID

Old August 18th 05, 05:24 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
ups.com...
Not that it matters, it's your money and eBay is an epitome of
capitalism (like WalMart) but after you included shipping for both
separate units, did you save much money over just buying them from your
local bike shop?

Cateye makes great stuff.

david boise ID

eBay is the pits and I would never buy anything from those thieves. Some
local bike shops are not much better, but that is the way to go if and when
you can find a local bike shop that is not into thievery. Frankly, I like to
buy things from Bike Nashbar and Performance if when things are on sale
there. But you are certainly right about the cost of shipping these days.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS. Thieves are everywhere. Beware!

PS2. Wal-Mart is the greatest thing that has ever happened to America. Hells
Bells, if you can't buy it at Wal-Mart, you don't need it.

Old August 26th 05, 05:35 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:24:01 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

[...]
PS2. Wal-Mart is the greatest thing that has ever happened to America.
Hells
Bells, if you can't buy it at Wal-Mart, you don't need it.

Wall-Mart sells no light anywhere near as nice s the new EL-500
Cateye. At least not the last time I looked.

Indiana Mike

Mike, I must admit that I hate to shop for ANYTHING anymore. I go out to
Wal-Mart (the big bazaar) and if I can't find what I want there, then I
conclude that I don't need it.

As for lights, all you really need if you stay in town are the kind of
lights that will allow you to be legal and that will let others see you.
Street lights these days are so good that you can see just fine without any
lights at all. I remember growing up back in the 1940s when the town was
really dark at night. No more! These new amber style street lights are
almost as good as daylight.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 26th 05, 02:43 PM
Dave Larrington

Also sprach Mike Rice :

I got the second EL-500 from a different vendor for $32 including the
shipping, the best price a cursory search showed was around $45 befoe
shipping.

Grr. They tend to retail for around 44 GBP here; thus I was greatly miffed
when one of mine escaped from its mounting and bounced down the road at 30
mph, thereby causing it to break.

Hoc ardur vincere docet.

Old August 27th 05, 04:01 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:35:36 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

As for lights, all you really need if you stay in town are the kind of
lights that will allow you to be legal and that will let others see you.
Street lights these days are so good that you can see just fine without
any
lights at all. I remember growing up back in the 1940s when the town was
really dark at night. No more! These new amber style street lights are
almost as good as daylight.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

My old light (a cateye EL-300) was that kind of light. If there was
any traffic, or if there were street lights, the EL-300 was a good
'see me' light. If I were on a dark section with no traffic I could
see the road by my light, but not all that well. I do mount my
light(s) on my handlebar so the beam goes through my fairing. I like
the fact that the fairing reflects some of the light, just another
safety aspect for visibility to drivers. My lights also have some side
emission, lighting my crank & feet.

With the twin EL-500 lights I have near headlight quality lighting.
The road is lit pretty well, even with on-coming cars, and the signs
are really reflectively alive.

I commute 6 miles to work, and work starts at 6 am. Some of the roads
I ride each morning have no street lights at all. I also visit friends
in neighboring towns & ride home at night...no street lights at all
for miles. I like to see the road I'm about to roll over.

Indiana Mike

Points well taken Mike, but I caution you against riding your bike on dark
roads that are not lit at all. There is nothing more dangerous. Drivers are
not expecting to see any cyclists on the road after dark and they are likely
as not to run right over you even though they see you. The trouble is they
can't believe what they are seeing until it is too late.

I was once coming back from a month long tour and was making for the last
few miles to home after dark on the local county black tops. I had no lights
at all. Whenever I saw a car approaching me from either the rear or the
front, I got way off the road. I mean the ditch, not the shoulder. I should
have had some kind of lights of course, but it wouldn't have made any
difference. You want to get way off the road after dark when the roads are
not lit and there are motor vehicles on the road. They will hit you and
claim they did not see you - and all the world will believe them.

I make it a rule never to ride a bike after dark on roads that are not well
lit. Let me repeat - there is nothing more dangerous than being on an unlit
road after dark with motor vehicles. Your bike lights will not save you. You
need those street lamps which turn night into day.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 27th 05, 09:38 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:01:45 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:
... Let me repeat - there is nothing more dangerous than being on an unlit
road after dark with motor vehicles

I can think of a few things more dangerous. Riding unpredictably,
weaving in front of cars, and , riding the wrong direction in front of
vehicles about to make right turns come to mind.

All things I see much too often.

I only see kids and teenagers doing the stupid things you mention above.
There are no young people on this newsgroup, just us old men who are getting
ready to fall into our graves.

When you ride your bike at night with or without bike lights on a dark road
that includes high speed motor vehicles you are playing a form of Russian
roulette. I am planning on dying at home in my bed, not out on the road
getting hit by a car in the dark.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old August 27th 05, 09:40 AM
Call me Bob

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:38:18 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

When you ride your bike at night with or without bike lights on a dark road
that includes high speed motor vehicles you are playing a form of Russian
roulette. I am planning on dying at home in my bed, not out on the road
getting hit by a car in the dark.

Is dying in bed significantly better than dying on your bike, then?

"Bob"

Old August 27th 05, 03:55 PM
Johnny ReBike

On 27-Aug-2005, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

I am planning on dying at home in my bed,

Yo eddie,

What's the schedule?

--
Johnny ReBike
ReBike - Slowest Bike in the Known Universe

Old August 27th 05, 06:35 PM
Steve

I just checked some of Tom Sherman's posts in the archive. They're on
topic, whereas Mr. Dolan's generally are not. Even if Mr. Dolan manages
to exceed the number of T. Sherman's posts, Dolan's posts are
immeasurably inferior. There's no contest!
Steve

Old August 27th 05, 08:27 PM
Jeff Grippe

St. Ed's favorite topic is himself with saying derogatory things about
others being a close second.