Still Alive

Old August 25th 05, 03:46 PM

Default Still Alive

Fire Island off NY. And a few islands off SC or GA.

Old August 25th 05, 03:59 PM
Patrick Markovic

As for places that show some respect, ....

Earlier this year we biked around Key West for a day. Some of the cars
even followed us on major streets instead of trying to pass us.

Old August 25th 05, 08:22 PM
Slugger

In article , Jeff Grippe
jeff@door7 wrote:

There are a few trikes that are much higher up. My commuting trike is the
TriCruiser and it is as high off the ground as any bike. I think the
experience related here is a result of bad drivers and not bad trikes.

Jeff

That must be a delta trike because very few tadpoles come up that if
any at all.

"Slugger" wrote in message
In article , Chuck
wrote:

At 5:45 am this morning I was hit from the rear by a car on Charlotte
Pike. My trike is toast. I'm Ok physically except for a little scrape
and some bruising. I can no longer accept that I must share the road
with talking monkeys operating heavy machinery.

So now I'm thinking to hell with civilization; where can I live and ride
where there are no other vehicles?

I'm just crushed. I loved my trike and I love tooling around in it but
as a clerk in C store and as a daily commuter (for about two years now
on the trike) I know how stupid these assholes in their cars and trucks
are. They are not to be trusted. Trust that eventually some insect on a
cell phone will come along and destroy your customized labor of love.

Never mind your lit up like a fire truck and flashing anti-collision
lights and watching and using your rear view mirrors. Never mind your
following all the rules.

Bam, my trike is toast; rear axle bent, left rear wheel destroyed,
derailer bent all to hell, assorted other damage.

The guy was insured. I didn't shoot him and we both walked away but

I DIDN'T SEE HIM

was his excuse.

Chuck Trotter
Nashville, TN

No offence to the trike people but I would be scared ****less riding
around so low. Especially up against a bigger truck or SUV, on some
trikes you wouldn't even come up as high as the wheel. As much as I
hate cars " I didn't see him" is a valid excuse against a trike I
recon.

Did you have a flag on your trike? Better to look like a cripple than
to be a cripple. Lights don't do a whole lot of good in the day time.

Old August 25th 05, 08:34 PM
Jeff Grippe

Nope,

I don't like deltas. It is one of two tadpoles (that I know of ) that are
high off the ground. Here is a link to a picture of me with the trike from
June.

http://groups.msn.com/GrippesPhotos/...&P hotoID=481

the builder's web site is

http://www.americruiser.com

I bought this trike because I have bad knees and didn't want to have to
climb in and out of trikes like the Greenspeed or Wizwheelz.

My first trike (now sold) as a Sun which was a delta. I didn't like riding
it at all. I'm much happier with the cruiser.

Jeff

"Slugger" wrote in message
In article , Jeff Grippe
jeff@door7 wrote:

There are a few trikes that are much higher up. My commuting trike is the
TriCruiser and it is as high off the ground as any bike. I think the
experience related here is a result of bad drivers and not bad trikes.

Jeff

That must be a delta trike because very few tadpoles come up that if
any at all.

Old August 26th 05, 04:17 AM
Gooserider

I'm glad you're OK, but your story confirms my reluctance to buy a trike to
ride in traffic. I have enough close calls on my Gunnar, and I'm at eye
level with most cars. Riding a trike would require me to have too much faith
in drivers. :-)

Old August 26th 05, 04:18 AM
Gooserider

"Patrick Markovic" wrote in message
As for places that show some respect, ....

Earlier this year we biked around Key West for a day. Some of the cars
even followed us on major streets instead of trying to pass us.

Key West historically has been one of the deadliest places in the US for
cyclists. Combination of narrow roads, harried tourists, and drunks.

Old August 26th 05, 05:40 AM
Slugger

In article , Jeff Grippe
wrote:

Nope,

I don't like deltas. It is one of two tadpoles (that I know of ) that are
high off the ground. Here is a link to a picture of me with the trike from
June.

http://groups.msn.com/GrippesPhotos/...snw?action=Sho
wPhoto&PhotoID=481

the builder's web site is

http://www.americruiser.com

I bought this trike because I have bad knees and didn't want to have to
climb in and out of trikes like the Greenspeed or Wizwheelz.

My first trike (now sold) as a Sun which was a delta. I didn't like riding
it at all. I'm much happier with the cruiser.

Jeff

Nice trike Jeff. Whats going on in the back there?
Is that a trunk of some sort?
I bet the Cycle Genius trike comes up that high.
High seated tadpoles are few and far between, thats for damn sure.

"Slugger" wrote in message
In article , Jeff Grippe
jeff@door7 wrote:

There are a few trikes that are much higher up. My commuting trike is the
TriCruiser and it is as high off the ground as any bike. I think the
experience related here is a result of bad drivers and not bad trikes.

Jeff

That must be a delta trike because very few tadpoles come up that if
any at all.

Old August 26th 05, 11:43 AM
Jeff Grippe

Sid (the builder's) idea of a rear rack is quite spacious compared to what
I'm used to, that's for sure. If you go to his web site you can see videos
of people cycling with their dog. I have loaded it up with two folding
chairs and a cooler and cycled to a local pool. For my commute it hold a
laptop and Camelpack knapsack quite well.

Jeff
"Slugger" wrote in message
In article , Jeff Grippe
wrote:

[...]

"Slugger" wrote in message
In article , Jeff Grippe
jeff@door7 wrote:

There are a few trikes that are much higher up. My commuting trike is
the
TriCruiser and it is as high off the ground as any bike. I think the
experience related here is a result of bad drivers and not bad trikes.

Jeff

That must be a delta trike because very few tadpoles come up that if
any at all.

Old August 26th 05, 08:50 PM
Chuck

I don't think trikes are any less safe that bikes. If anything I think
trikes are more safe because they tend to command a stronger presence.
The guy who hit me would have done so regardless. He had about a half of
a miles distance to see me before he hit me. I think the real problem is
that there are just too many people on the roads.

Chuck

(OT) SKINNED ALIVE ytrewq UK 19 September 4th 05 07:16 PM
An experiment to prove the helmet law proponants RIGHT (or wrong) David Recumbent Biking 65 December 21st 04 07:42 AM
Fried alive MUni ride vivalargo Unicycling 0 August 8th 04 10:10 PM
At least I'm alive....... Dave UK 20 September 19th 03 02:13 PM
Its alive... ITS ALIVE! (and pics, too!) Jon Bond Mountain Biking 11 July 4th 03 02:33 PM