Hit by car and very lucky to be alive

Old August 28th 05, 09:25 PM

Default Hit by car and very lucky to be alive

This past Sunday morning I was struck squarely by an automobile at a
major intersection in North Phoenix (36th St. & Greenway). I have one
broken ankle, while the other has possible ligament and nerve damage.
Additionally, I sustained multiple contusions, a sprained neck, and
approx. 33 stitches where the chain ring embedded itself in my right
leg and tore.

The driver was given a ticket for failing to yield the right of way.
She was a high school student who 'never saw me' as she was
accelerating and taking a left turn while racing to make a green light.

Part of her bumper was torn off as well as her passenger side mirror.
Obviously my recumbent is in worse shape. Had I been just a few more
inches in front of the automobile I would have likely gone under the
vehicle.

I've lived in several States and have had more close calls with cars,
buses and trucks in the Phoenix Metropolitan area than I have ever
experienced in the past.

Last year a city bus on East Thunderbird nearly ran me over as it
occupied at least half the bike lane as it came from behind missing me
by no more than two inches. I called Phoenix Transit and informed them
of the incident. Not surprisingly I never received any form of apology
or reply.

While in the PV emergency room, I was informed that I was the third
cyclist to be admitted in the past 2 weeks after being hit by a moving
vehicle. Sadly, one of these individuals did not survive.

Be extra careful out there on the roads everyone. Even though I was
obeying traffic laws and exercising caution I was still hit by a
careless driver.

As I write this I am still unsure as to the extent of some of my
injuries. I should learn more this week.

Old August 28th 05, 09:46 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

AZeast wrote:

The driver was... a high school student who 'never saw me'
as she was accelerating and taking a left turn while racing
to make a green light.

I was hit many years ago under similar circumstances by a 19-year-old
female driver in southern California. There is no effective defence
against such a reckless driver.

Old August 29th 05, 04:37 AM
Steve knight

I was hit many years ago under similar circumstances by a 19-year-old
female driver in southern California. There is no effective defence
against such a reckless driver.

maim them so they can't drive any more. maybe sterilize them so they
can't make more of them too.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Old August 29th 05, 07:01 AM
Edward Dolan

"LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m" wrote in
message news:vopQe.54896$Ji4.28138@fed1read03...
AZeast wrote:

The driver was... a high school student who 'never saw me'
as she was accelerating and taking a left turn while racing
to make a green light.

I was hit many years ago under similar circumstances by a 19-year-old
female driver in southern California. There is no effective defence
against such a reckless driver.

Right you are Lio. If someone is bound and determined to hit you there is
nothing you can do about it. I have often thought of tracking down such
miscreants and putting a bullet through their stupid brains, but they defeat
me even there. They are so g.d. stupid that they truly do not know what they
do. It is not Homo sapiens, but rather Homo stupidus.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 29th 05, 06:55 PM
bent_pilot

wrote in message
oups.com...
This past Sunday morning I was struck squarely by an automobile at a
major intersection in North Phoenix (36th St. & Greenway). I have one
broken ankle, while the other has possible ligament and nerve damage.
Additionally, I sustained multiple contusions, a sprained neck, and
approx. 33 stitches where the chain ring embedded itself in my right
leg and tore.

snip
Glad you survived with relatively minor damage. Looks like the driver took
care of your Turner bike problem too? Buy something you like the next time.
You know what to look for now. Good luck and happy miles.