Ultegra cassette markings?

Old December 12th 03, 06:49 PM
David Kerber

Default Ultegra cassette markings?

I just bought an e-bay item which was described as a new Ultegra 11-23
cassette. It came as loose cogs, carrier sections and spacers, but I
can't see any markings which would help me tell if it's really an
Ultegra or an off-brand, except for the lock ring which says "Shimano
HG CS-6500" and some other stuff. The two largest cogs are silver and
mounted on a carrier, and the rest are more of a bronze (brownish)
color. Each cog also has the number of teeth and "AK" stamped on
them. Are there any marks which should identify it as an Ultegra?

Thanks!
--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old December 12th 03, 08:29 PM
DiabloScott

David Kerber wrote:
I just bought an e-bay item which was described as a new Ultegra 11-23
cassette. It came as loose cogs, carrier sections and spacers, but I
can't see any markings which would help me tell if it's really an
Ultegra or an off-brand, except for the lock ring which says "Shimano HG
CS-6500" and some other stuff. The two largest cogs are silver and
mounted on a carrier, and the rest are more of a bronze (brownish)
color. Each cog also has the number of teeth and "AK" stamped on them.
Are there any marks which should identify it as an Ultegra?
Thanks!
--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address
before replying!

Shimano uses the 6500 series for Ultegra parts. CS-6500 is an Ultegra
cassette, FC-6500 is an Ultegra crank, etc. 7700 series is 9-speed DA
and 7800 series is 10-speed DA.

ttp://bike.shimano.com/Road/Ultegra/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=CS-
6500

Old December 13th 03, 01:34 AM
Chuck Davis

"David Kerber" wrote in message
I figured that out, but are there supposed to be any of these markings
on the cogs themselves? The only part which has any ID is the lock
ring.

I looked at an Ultegra and a Dura Ace that I have and the only markings are
on the lock rings, except I can see an A1 and B1 on the inside clusters.
Both have the 3 largest cogs (A1) in a carrier and the next 2 (B2) in a
carrier. The rest are individual with spacers. The Ulltegra cogs are all
shiny silver. The Dura Ace cogs are dull and titanium colored. There's a
very obvious weight difference between the two, as there should be.

Chuck Davis