Lighting Options?

Old December 19th 06, 02:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
chuck

Default Lighting Options?

I just acquired a Vision m40. I put 125 miles on it this weekend, but
since daylight hours are limited in Michigan, it's hard to get in any
weekday miles without lighting. I found that a 1" copper pipe coupling
fits the tube above the crank. I'm thinking of mounting a light to this
and battery pack I have in a water bottle cage on the OSS. This leaves
me with no way to carry water execpt on the rear rack. Being
inexperienced on this type bike, I'd like any suggestions. One thing
I've learned the hard way was that this type bike is tricky on ice/snow,
and to avoid it. Yesterday's 45 mile ride was the first without laying
it down, so I guess I'm progressing.
Old December 19th 06, 06:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
David B

Hi Chuck,
Sorry to hear about the snow problems. I sure don't miss (involuntary,
so to speak) snow. I like your idea w/ the tubing; I'm wondering, are
you planning to make a tee fitting, or use Nobs on a plain pipe? The tee
in my VRex isn't high enough to keep my toes from hitting my Schmidt E6
lights when mounted they far enough apart to get good beam-spread (they
throw a bright, but narrow, beam).

What is an OSS?

Hope we see some response soon.

Regards,
Dave

Old December 20th 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

OSS would be Over Seat Steering.

It used to be ASS, Above Seat Steering but 'Political Correctnes' has
even invaded or hobbies now. :-)

Lewis

*****

Old December 20th 06, 03:02 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
cat0020

How about a Camelback bladder inside of the seatback pack? the rubber
tube should be long enough to reach your mouth, just use a rubber clamp
to secure the hose onto your clothing or someplace easy to reach.
Though the freezing temperature in Michigan might just freeze the water
in the long rubber tube.. I think Terracycle might have bottle cage
mount that could be mounted on the steering stem or extension, Good
luck with that one.

http://www.terracycle.com/

Old December 20th 06, 01:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
chuck

On 2006-12-19, David B wrote:
Hi Chuck,
Sorry to hear about the snow problems. I sure don't miss (involuntary,
so to speak) snow. I like your idea w/ the tubing; I'm wondering, are
you planning to make a tee fitting, or use Nobs on a plain pipe? The tee
in my VRex isn't high enough to keep my toes from hitting my Schmidt E6
lights when mounted they far enough apart to get good beam-spread (they
throw a bright, but narrow, beam).

I tried out my setup last night. It seemed to work ok. It was a straight
1"x3/4" reducer fitting with a straight piece of 3/4" pipe. The end of
the pipe is smashed flat in a vice then drilled to fit an old 1980's
light setup I had that mounts with a 1/4" bolt and nut. It's only a 2.4
watt, but with the old style 3" lense and mirrored back, it seems to
throw out as much light as a 6 watt halogen. I get 4.5 hours out of a
Cygolite Rover battery pack. I also drilled the pipe for a Radio Shack
type M power connector. This fits the original end of the Cygolite
battery pack. I didn't hit my feet on the light, but the light shining
on my feet was a little annoying. I may extend the thing higher. There
was one good thing about the light on my feet. My Spd pedals are one
sided and the light allows me to see which side of the pedal is up.

What is an OSS?

Over Seat Steering. I ended up using a old water bottle cage hose
clamped to this to hold water bottle/battery pack.

Old December 23rd 06, 07:19 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Hi Chuck,

chuck wrote:
I just acquired a Vision m40. I put 125 miles on it this weekend, but
since daylight hours are limited in Michigan, it's hard to get in any
weekday miles without lighting. I found that a 1" copper pipe coupling
fits the tube above the crank. I'm thinking of mounting a light to this
and battery pack I have in a water bottle cage on the OSS. This leaves
me with no way to carry water execpt on the rear rack. Being
inexperienced on this type bike, I'd like any suggestions. One thing
I've learned the hard way was that this type bike is tricky on ice/snow,
and to avoid it. Yesterday's 45 mile ride was the first without laying
it down, so I guess I'm progressing.

Chuck, this on-topic posting is extremely boring. Don't you realize that
this newsgroup is now in a death mode and we only want posts that infuriate.
For Christ's sakes, if you can't say anything nasty, then don't say anything
at all.

There is nothing more disconcerting that a civilized post when we are
hell-bent on murdering one another. I urge you to summon up all your most
hateful urges and to express them without reserve. That is the only way you
will be appreciated on this group.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Anyone need lighting Bean Long Australia 4 July 24th 06 08:40 AM
More lighting Simon Cooper Techniques 9 February 17th 06 08:17 PM
Lighting (again) What to do? Lab BT UK 26 June 22nd 05 06:11 PM
Lighting bar? John Hearns UK 17 March 30th 05 10:34 PM
lighting John Croke Mountain Biking 2 June 30th 04 10:41 PM