Is Rahsaan Bahati a racist?

Old January 4th 09, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Default Is Rahsaan Bahati a racist?

wrote:

On Jan 3, 2:27 am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-11088,00.html...

"Hopefully before I leave this sport I will have my own team, a
predominantly black team."

I'm just trying to think if it would be okay for a white pro to give
this quote to a newspaper reporter: "Hopefully before I leave this sport
I will have my own team, a predominantly white team."

Thanks,

Magilla

Duncymonkey,
Bahati hopes that there will be enough Black pro bike racers to form a
team. Duh.
Now why don't you throw your monkey **** at all those Yanks who
complain about having to race on European teams?

Okay, so it would be okay if an NBA team owner said that he plans on having a
team of "predominantly white guys."

I just want to make sure you are okay with that.

Thanks,

Magilla

Old January 4th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

LawBoy01 wrote:

On Jan 3, 4:27*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-11088,00.html...

"Hopefully before I leave this sport I will have my own team, a
predominantly black team."

I'm just trying to think if it would be okay for a white pro to give
this quote to a newspaper reporter: "Hopefully before I leave this sport
I will have my own team, a predominantly white team."

Thanks,

Magilla

Bahati is a black spot on a white dog. He wants to see white spots on
a black dog. I see no harm with recruiting a predominantly black
team, which can easily be done in a legal manner by recruiting from a
geographical area, and as long as the team is an amateur squad.

Vagilla, you really need to quit trying to trump up bull****. Really
doe, all Bahati wants to do is to get black kids from Compton to race
a bike rather than run from the police. This is an admirable thing.

I am aware of no current pro team that actively recruits "white guys" over
black guys and states so to reporters. Yet Bahati is advancing precisely
this hiring strategy and doesn't feel uncomfortable stating it to the media

I don't have a problem with what Bahati says so long as he thinks it's okay
if white team owners say the same thing about hiring white guys over black
guys on a team. The problem is I think he would have a problem with it (and
so would Al Sharpton).

How is discrimination based on race an admirable thing?

Magilla

Old January 4th 09, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

billyroll wrote:

On Jan 3, 2:27Ưam, MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-11088,00.html...

"Hopefully before I leave this sport I will have my own team, a
predominantly black team."

I'm just trying to think if it would be okay for a white pro to give
this quote to a newspaper reporter: "Hopefully before I leave this sport
I will have my own team, a predominantly white team."

Thanks,

Magilla

Well, if a white pro were to say that, he'd be laughed at for saying
something supremely stupid. He already has a predominantly white team.
And if he goes into management, he'll have a predominantly white
team.

Rahsaan's not racist. He wants to see more people like him learn the
sport and have access to it. He was lucky to learn about cycling. If
it weren't for a caring teacher, the U.S. wouldn't have it's best
sprinter. I can only assume that he wants other to have the same
opportunity he had. And for that I applaud him. Hopefully with his
help, he can raise the level of domestic racing the United States.

BR

Why does Bahati view black people as being a different cohort of people than
white people to begin with? Why not just call all of them "people?"

You don't hear Asian Americans saying "I want to have a team of Asians" or
Indians saying "I want to have a team of Indians."

I think Bahati is a bit ****ed up in his understanding of what racism means.
I never viewed Bahati as a black cyclist. He was just another cyclist to me.

I don't have a problem with him having a pro team, but recruiting black guys
over white guys is strange and discriminatory, regardless of his race.

Thanks,

Magilla

Old January 4th 09, 07:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
LawBoy01

On Jan 4, 1:36*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
LawBoy01 wrote:
[...]

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

We just disagree about whether this is acceptable or not. I say it
is, you say it isn't. But for what it's worth I say that promoting
cycling in the black community is a good thing. White kids don't need
as much help, and there are plenty of suburban cycling clubs for white
folks, err, I mean people living in communities with demographics
trending toward most households being white, or at least the ones with
money to get into the sport.

And for the record, I don't see discrimination as the pH test you make
it out to be.
Old January 4th 09, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
LawBoy01

On Jan 4, 1:36*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

I don't have a problem with what Bahati says so long as he thinks it's okay
if white team owners say the same thing about hiring white guys over black
guys on a team. *The problem is I think he would have a problem with it (and
so would Al Sharpton).

There's a difference between oppression and uplifting.
Old January 4th 09, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

LawBoy01 wrote:
[...]

Here's the problem with your logic. I don't view communities as black or
white. They're just people to me.

You can't seem to prevent yourself from viewing people through their race,
religion, etc.

I don't view JT as a black cyclist. He's a just another cyclist to me. Why is
race an identity characterisitc for you (and Bahati?)?

Magilla

Old January 4th 09, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

LawBoy01 wrote:

On Jan 4, 1:36*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

I don't have a problem with what Bahati says so long as he thinks it's okay
if white team owners say the same thing about hiring white guys over black
guys on a team. *The problem is I think he would have a problem with it (and
so would Al Sharpton).

There's a difference between oppression and uplifting.

Who's oppressing anyone? And why is "uplifting" okay if it's based on race when
there is no evidence that any "oppression" of that same race has occurred.

I don't know of any cycling teams that discriminate against black riders. If
they did, then why did Bahati get hired by 3 different pro teams? Why did Ivan
Dominguez (a Cuban) get hired?

Magilla

Old January 4th 09, 08:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
LawBoy01

On Jan 4, 1:58*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

I don't view JT as a black cyclist. *He's a just another cyclist to me. *Why is
race an identity characterisitc for you (and Bahati?)?

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

People are people so why should it be? Well, Magilla, because there
are some people like Bahati who are black and enjoy cycling, and see
their black counterparts shunning cycling because it's not culturally
acceptable in the black community, particularly in the south central
LA area where Bahati comes from. The point is that race belies
cultural underpinnings. Bahati gets that because he's a black,
professional cyclist. I get that and I'm a Fat 5, white freddie "who
happens to be" an attorney. I don't know why you can't acknowledge
that. But whatever. I will support anything that Bahati or a
similarly minded enthusiast would do in this regard that would
encourage the black community to embrace cycling.
Old January 4th 09, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

LawBoy01 wrote:

On Jan 4, 1:58*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

I don't view JT as a black cyclist. *He's a just another cyclist to me. *Why is
race an identity characterisitc for you (and Bahati?)?

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

People are people so why should it be? Well, Magilla, because there
are some people like Bahati who are black and enjoy cycling, and see
their black counterparts shunning cycling because it's not culturally
acceptable in the black community, particularly in the south central
LA area where Bahati comes from. The point is that race belies
cultural underpinnings.

Not for me it doesn't. Anyone who views themselves and their identity through their
race is a racist.

Magilla

Old January 4th 09, 08:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
LawBoy01

On Jan 4, 2:29*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
LawBoy01 wrote:
On Jan 4, 1:58*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

I don't view JT as a black cyclist. *He's a just another cyclist to me. *Why is
race an identity characterisitc for you (and Bahati?)?

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

People are people so why should it be? *Well, Magilla, because there
are some people like Bahati who are black and enjoy cycling, and see
their black counterparts shunning cycling because it's not culturally
acceptable in the black community, particularly in the south central
LA area where Bahati comes from. *The point is that race belies
cultural underpinnings.

Not for me it doesn't. *Anyone who views themselves and their identity through their
race is a racist.

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

That's not at all what a racist is, Magilla. You've only described
one's self-view.